Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Can’t see him keen on coming back if this is the level of shit he has to put up with.

He has a right to reply to be fair

86335498c5eeb0a028bca36f648cda19.jpg

d0b92bdb5174e055e24789d4de5c5914.jpg

I think this is maybe a bit too far, as I won’t send him a barrage of stuff like that, but he does need to sort his attitude out, hopefully this loan move will do that, but it really is last chance saloon for me

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Lee Smith is an utter goon.

He is certainly not a supporter in the literal sense of the word. The assumption that reading a few media stories allows you enough knowledge to offer advice to someone you don't know is a childish illusion shared by far too large a section of the internet. Actually doing it shows a level of hubris that dwarfs any concern for the future of the player or the good of the club.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good loan for Aaron, it’s in everyone’s interest it works out well and he comes back fresh and full of confidence.
Chance to prove either the doubter’s wrong, or….

don’t waste it Aaron, you’ve been blessed with an incredible talent, and the vast majority of Albion fans want you to succeed.

I’m gonna refuse to be negative, possibly Mansfield away could be a dream start.
I wonder how good. Middlesbrough apparantly closing in on a loan deal for Balogun from Arsenal - if that happens the competition to even get on the pitch will go up a considerable notch!

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport...ugh-transfer-folarin-balogun-arsenal-22654146

Wonder if we (Brighton) knew about this before agreeing the deal for Connolly?

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not really. Especially not the last sentence. If "thousands of lads in the same age would do anything to be in your position", some of them would be professional footballers. The only way to become a professional footballer is to work harder and commit more than 99% of the other guys sharing that dream.

So talent and a good deal of luck doesn’t come in to it then.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've read a few things that suggest that talent is a myth and innate ability really don't get you very far. Hard work and excellent coaching is the key to success.

A book called Bounce is an interesting starting point

https://www.wob.com/en-au/books/mat...uooAkfnvG1gZPe2fC_IaAuwYEALw_wcB#GOR002896859

It is really quite interesting.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk
Some talent and/or innate ability is necessary - as are hard work and coaching. All the coaching and hard work in the world won't make, say, a footballer out of somebody who lacks the necessary timing, balance, strength, etc. Coaching and hard work can only improve on what's there.

In other words, you can't polish a turd.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A natural ability to be good at something, especially without being taught

I remember that they always said this about Rooney. He had very little coaching, he just innately knew how to play football to a very high level.

He obviously worked very hard too and was incredibly focused (when he wasn’t out gran-banging).

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Well surely if some people are naturally more predisposed to learning than others (call it intelligence if you like), then there must be people with the right mix of physical / mechanical abilities to be 'naturally' better at football / sport of your choice?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I've read a few things that suggest that talent is a myth and innate ability really don't get you very far. Hard work and excellent coaching is the key to success.

A book called Bounce is an interesting starting point

https://www.wob.com/en-au/books/mat...uooAkfnvG1gZPe2fC_IaAuwYEALw_wcB#GOR002896859

It is really quite interesting.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

I don't want to get Bozza into trouble by libelling the author (Matthew Syed) so all I'll say is that I don't think he believes half the stuff he puts his name to. And I chose those last four words carefully. You should hear Paul Hayward's opinion of him ...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Some talent and/or innate ability is necessary - as are hard work and coaching. All the coaching and hard work in the world won't make, say, a footballer out of somebody who lacks the necessary timing, balance, strength, etc. Coaching and hard work can only improve on what's there.

In other words, you can't polish a turd.

You are quite right of course, I think the discussion is really about the necessary aptitudes that are needed to form the base to work from. These are often thrown into the umbrella term of 'talent' whereas in reality they are more specific skills to be improved. Many of these aptitudes can also be coached and improved through practice.

Perhaps it is disingenuous to suggest that innate ability or skills do not exist at all, more that they are less important than our narratives like to suggest?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here