Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

80 in a 70.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I just killed a child when speeding in a restricted area, but that will be OK wont it, cause everyone speeds dont they.

You should be ok if you can prove that you were either slowing down or using a mobile phone...many people still seem to use mobile phones when at the wheel of a car, try claiming that it was inconsiderate of the child to run out and interrupt your call, the judge might be sympathetic!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Just gone past a mobile speed camera going 80 down the A23. Will I get a ticket?

Doubt it. The mobile speed camera might get done for doing 80 though.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
There has been one one the bridge just north of Bolney on a number of occasions, aimed at southbound traffic.

I get off at that exit and stopped to give the guy a piece of my mind about a waste of police time, should be catching thieves and muggers instead of speeding motorists, etc etc etc .... to which he replied he was not a member of the police force, just a contractor!! Anyway, my passing shot was that I hope he caught dozens of bloody motorcyclists who speed down that part of the A23 at weekends. Noisy bastards.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Certainly in this country, 10% over the limit is the buffer zone as that takes into account any inaccuracies with the speed camera. Also, a way out of it here is to challenge when the camera was last calibrated as they should be done every year by law.

Of course, the other way of getting out of it in SA is to offer the person with the camera a paper handshake, but I hope that does not work in the UK. The most heinous example of this was a friend of my wife who was caught doing 220kph in a 120kph limit - she was told that she would be locked up immediately with R150,000 bail awaiting a court appearance - she started blubbing and offered the cop R300 and he let her go.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
There has been one one the bridge just north of Bolney on a number of occasions, aimed at southbound traffic.

I get off at that exit and stopped to give the guy a piece of my mind about a waste of police time, should be catching thieves and muggers instead of speeding motorists, etc etc etc .... to which he replied he was not a member of the police force, just a contractor!! Anyway, my passing shot was that I hope he caught dozens of bloody motorcyclists who speed down that part of the A23 at weekends. Noisy bastards.

I passed this one yesterday on my way to get my season tickets, overtook someone cos I was pissed off that they'd slowed down!

Do they have to have the gun on you for a period of time or is it instant?

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath
My mate went through a mobile on top of the bridge by the pyecombe doing 80 and he got done. But as stated sometimes they are out to catch the no insurance, or MOT.

I was caught here too! 84mph. £60 fine and 3 points or £85 and a Speed Awareness Course. Not surprisingly I chose the speed awareness course! At least 3 other people who attended the course were caught in exactly the same spot!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I just killed a child when speeding in a restricted area, but that will be OK wont it, cause everyone speeds dont they.

Can I assume you ride a motorcycle? If so don't come out with that crap, all bikers break the speed limit.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
The 10% thing is rubbish, there's NO leeway in UK law. The guidelines for fining you are around 10% over the limit, but the fact is that if you're doing 1mph over the speed limit then you've committed an offence and can be done for it if the police choose to do so.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I get off at that exit and stopped to give the guy a piece of my mind about a waste of police time, should be catching thieves and muggers instead of speeding motorists, etc etc etc ...

To which my response is typically: how many people do you think are killed or seriously injured in car accidents every year compared to the number who are victims of muggings?

You can moan all you like but we all know where the limit lies, and you are statistically far more likely to suffer a life changing incident on the road than you are as a result of criminal activity. Fact.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The 10% thing is rubbish, there's NO leeway in UK law. The guidelines for fining you are around 10% over the limit, but the fact is that if you're doing 1mph over the speed limit then you've committed an offence and can be done for it if the police choose to do so.

Its not rubbish at all, vehicle manufactures have a 10% tolerance in speedo manufacture, so this has to be taken into account when measuring speed.

We have all seen how inaccurate speedo's are when comparing them with more accurate sat navs.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
To which my response is typically: how many people do you think are killed or seriously injured in car accidents every year compared to the number who are victims of muggings?

You can moan all you like but we all know where the limit lies, and you are statistically far more likely to suffer a life changing incident on the road than you are as a result of criminal activity. Fact.
this.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Its not rubbish at all, vehicle manufactures have a 10% tolerance in speedo manufacture, so this has to be taken into account when measuring speed.

We have all seen how inaccurate speedo's are when comparing them with more accurate sat navs.

But how can they tell what your speedo was reading, and add 10%? Yours might be one that is already -10%...

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007

I would think there are quite a few life changing incidents by the pushers that sell kids all sorts of nasty stuff in and around Brighton, but chasing them seems to be less fruitfull than the soft collar that is the middle class motorist with deep pockets. Bit harder too eh!

More good sense from Edna, on for a hat trick now!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I would think there are quite a few life changing incidents by the pushers that sell kids all sorts of nasty stuff in and around Brighton, but chasing them seems to be less fruitfull than the soft collar that is the middle class motorist with deep pockets. Bit harder too eh!

Rubbish. Of course it's easy enough to confirm that someone is driving too fast, and inevitably it's not easy to catch the local shites peddling all sorts to the local junkies, but does that mean all resources should go towards the drug industry? What do you think happens when people get done for speeding? Do you think the fine goes into some happy copper's pocket, or that they have some kind of target to reach for clocking motorists? I can tell you now, neither is true. Believe it or not, the guys in Traffic are more interested in collaring the sort of utter ARSES who tank it around at 100mph+, or who can't be bothered to insure their cars, or who drive while they're already disqualified, or are pissed, than in people speeding around housing estates, or down dual carriageways. That said, if people are caught, what are they supposed to do, ignore it?

Tell me now, what is statistically more likely to happen to you, personally, tomorrow morning: that you or a member of your family dies as a result of a drug overdose; or they get run over by someone driving along while texting their mate? And I'm pretty sure if they were run over while the driver was doing "only" 36 in a 30, you'd want something doing about it, even if it wasn't much over the limit.

We're all guilty of exceeding the speed limit at times, the difference is, if I was to get caught out, I'd be annoyed, but I'd hold my hands up and admit there was absolutely nobody to blame but myself. Do you think we should all be able to choose which bits of the law we get to comply with?

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
We're all guilty of exceeding the speed limit at times, the difference is, if I was to get caught out, I'd be annoyed, but I'd hold my hands up and admit there was absolutely nobody to blame but myself. Do you think we should all be able to choose which bits of the law we get to comply with?

This.

Its a shame that more people are not caught out using their mobile phones whilst driving - I saw at least five or six on the one journey - even texting. I consider to be much more dangerous than doing 80 in a 70. Since when has life become SO urgent that we must put ours and other people's lives at risk that we have to respond to a text immediately?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
This.

Its a shame that more people are not caught out using their mobile phones whilst driving - I saw at least five or six on the one journey - even texting. I consider to be much more dangerous than doing 80 in a 70. Since when has life become SO urgent that we must put ours and other people's lives at risk that we have to respond to a text immediately?

This.

Was it in yesterday's Argus an article about young lad who killed himself on his motorbike by driving into a parked car whilst texting.

The 10% variance was established in court years ago when the reliability of police speed cameras was questioned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here