Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

80 in a 70.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
yes , and i think ile stick to my 41 year old theory that it was 60mph on a A road resulting in a 41 year old clean licence and the same set of tyres on my ford anglia :)

Where does it state "A road" in the laws?

It depends on whether it's a Built-up area, Single carriageway, Dual carriageway or a Motorway.

drew

Drew
NSC Patron
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Its not rubbish at all, vehicle manufactures have a 10% tolerance in speedo manufacture, so this has to be taken into account when measuring speed.

We have all seen how inaccurate speedo's are when comparing them with more accurate sat navs.
If you're doing 80mph then you are doing 80mph irrespective of what your speedo says. The speed camera will measure your actual speed and not what your speedo says.

I would think there are quite a few life changing incidents by the pushers that sell kids all sorts of nasty stuff in and around Brighton, but chasing them seems to be less fruitfull than the soft collar that is the middle class motorist with deep pockets. Bit harder too eh!

I was going to comment on the ignorance of this post but Edna now done it very succinctly!

yes , and i think ile stick to my 41 year old theory that it was 60mph on a A road resulting in a 41 year old clean licence and the same set of tyres on my ford anglia :)

Rubbish. Of course it's easy enough to confirm that someone is driving too fast, and inevitably it's not easy to catch the local shites peddling all sorts to the local junkies, but does that mean all resources should go towards the drug industry? What do you think happens when people get done for speeding? Do you think the fine goes into some happy copper's pocket, or that they have some kind of target to reach for clocking motorists? I can tell you now, neither is true. Believe it or not, the guys in Traffic are more interested in collaring the sort of utter ARSES who tank it around at 100mph+, or who can't be bothered to insure their cars, or who drive while they're already disqualified, or are pissed, than in people speeding around housing estates, or down dual carriageways. That said, if people are caught, what are they supposed to do, ignore it?

Tell me now, what is statistically more likely to happen to you, personally, tomorrow morning: that you or a member of your family dies as a result of a drug overdose; or they get run over by someone driving along while texting their mate? And I'm pretty sure if they were run over while the driver was doing "only" 36 in a 30, you'd want something doing about it, even if it wasn't much over the limit.

We're all guilty of exceeding the speed limit at times, the difference is, if I was to get caught out, I'd be annoyed, but I'd hold my hands up and admit there was absolutely nobody to blame but myself. Do you think we should all be able to choose which bits of the law we get to comply with?

This (times ten)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The roads are over-crowded, isn't it time that the police targeted motorists even harder. A campaign against those who speed excessively, drive uninsured, text while driving or do so whilst drunk or under the influence of drugs would rid the roads of people who are inconsiderate and a danger to themselves or others. I guess this approach wouldn't win them many friends to start with but less traffic would certainly be of benefit to those who are law abiding. It would also make you less likely to be involved in an accident that wasn't your fault.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its not rubbish at all, vehicle manufactures have a 10% tolerance in speedo manufacture, so this has to be taken into account when measuring speed.

i think this is a bit of a myth. you really think Mercedes or Porsche etc would release an item from manufactoring into their product that had such a poor tolerance? the 10% guidance is there to account for potential inaccuracy and a little leeway, as having people wathing their speedo and not theroad is surely going to cause accidents.

To which my response is typically: how many people do you think are killed or seriously injured in car accidents every year compared to the number who are victims of muggings?

You can moan all you like but we all know where the limit lies, and you are statistically far more likely to suffer a life changing incident on the road than you are as a result of criminal activity. Fact.

i wish you hadnt said "fact", because i can half see whare you are coming from. but your statement is completely false. number of total road accidents in 2002 is 302k (3400 killed, 36k considered "serious") (source). on the other hand the number of convictions for offences in 2002 is ~430k (by adding up the numbers roughly). Mugging isnt listed, i expect it is include in the "volence agains the person" catagory, which counts ~50k convictions.

you're "life changing" point be more the point, after all being mugged is not really as serious as being in a serious accident. or is it? and how many accidents or serious injuries and deaths are not the result of breaking the speed limit or even excessive speed? this is teritory where the stats can be made to say what you want. but the raw facts indicate general crime is far more prevelent than road accidents, though there is a worrying number of them.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Rubbish. Of course it's easy enough to confirm that someone is driving too fast, and inevitably it's not easy to catch the local shites peddling all sorts to the local junkies, but does that mean all resources should go towards the drug industry? What do you think happens when people get done for speeding? Do you think the fine goes into some happy copper's pocket, or that they have some kind of target to reach for clocking motorists? I can tell you now, neither is true. Believe it or not, the guys in Traffic are more interested in collaring the sort of utter ARSES who tank it around at 100mph+, or who can't be bothered to insure their cars, or who drive while they're already disqualified, or are pissed, than in people speeding around housing estates, or down dual carriageways. That said, if people are caught, what are they supposed to do, ignore it?

Tell me now, what is statistically more likely to happen to you, personally, tomorrow morning: that you or a member of your family dies as a result of a drug overdose; or they get run over by someone driving along while texting their mate? And I'm pretty sure if they were run over while the driver was doing "only" 36 in a 30, you'd want something doing about it, even if it wasn't much over the limit.

We're all guilty of exceeding the speed limit at times, the difference is, if I was to get caught out, I'd be annoyed, but I'd hold my hands up and admit there was absolutely nobody to blame but myself. Do you think we should all be able to choose which bits of the law we get to comply with?

I take your point,but more police patrols to catch the real lunatics and less reliance on speed cameras to catch everybody else would probably be a good move.
There are complete lunatics on bikes with absolutely no regard to the law or safety speeding all over West Sussex.....it is a very long time since I saw one pulled by the police.
Before all the bikers say this isn't true,I have to disagree.The speed at which some of these guys drive is madness and many have a total disregard for double white lines!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
To comply with the vehicle construction regulations a speedo is allowed to over read by 10% but not underread so you *should* always be going slower than your speedo reads. Try in with a satnav and you will see that at an indicated 70, you are actually doing about 65.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I take your point,but more police patrols to catch the real lunatics and less reliance on speed cameras to catch everybody else would probably be a good move.
There are complete lunatics on bikes with absolutely no regard to the law or safety speeding all over West Sussex.....it is a very long time since I saw one pulled by the police.
Before all the bikers say this isn't true,I have to disagree.The speed at which some of these guys drive is madness and many have a total disregard for double white lines!

I will agree that NEARLY all bikers break the speed limit, I am a biker and have worked in the motorcycle industry for 15 years, but the rate of prosecutions on bikers for speeding is far higher than that of car drivers, and rightly so. But car drivers with your holier than thou attitude really are the epitomy of 'pot, kettle, black'.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I will agree that NEARLY all bikers break the speed limit, I am a biker and have worked in the motorcycle industry for 15 years, but the rate of prosecutions on bikers for speeding is far higher than that of car drivers, and rightly so. But car drivers with your holier than thou attitude really are the epitomy of 'pot, kettle, black'.

Not holier than thou attitude.Of course there are some dreadful car drivers,but some of the bikers I see on quite a regular basis have an appalling disregard, not only for their own safety but that of other road users as well.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
So, did you get a fine?

I've been waiting patiently for mine to come and have been driving within the speed limit since getting zapped BUT I now feel safe enough to post that I think they decided to let me go. I believe (hope) that there's a two week limit for them to advise intended prosecution, but knowing my luck it'll probablyland on the doorstep today!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I don't have an issue being zapped and pulled over by a copper but I do have issues with this obsession with bloody cameras everywhere. A copper can apply common sense to a situation and give you a bollocking if you nip past them a bit quick on an empty road on a clear day.

Cameras also can't catch people that aren't speeding - so that twat swerving about the place on his phone, eating and fiddling with the stereo is fine as long as he sticks under 70.

In short if we are to have speed enforcement then I would much rather it be done by plod than technology.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
For the first time in 30 years of driving I got zapped by a speed camera yesterday on the A217 in surrey. 40mph limit - reckon I was doing nearer 50 on the dual carriageway. Expect to get prosecuted and can only hold my hands up but keen to know if the two week limit is a fact.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
For the first time in 30 years of driving I got zapped by a speed camera yesterday on the A217 in surrey. 40mph limit - reckon I was doing nearer 50 on the dual carriageway. Expect to get prosecuted and can only hold my hands up but keen to know if the two week limit is a fact.

From what I know the NIP needs to be printed and posted out to you within 14 days, it might arrive a couple of days later but as long as the postmark / date on the letter is within 14 days then it's valid.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
From what I know the NIP needs to be printed and posted out to you within 14 days, it might arrive a couple of days later but as long as the postmark / date on the letter is within 14 days then it's valid.

I certainly hope this is true (and that mine hasn't been lost in the post!). It's certainly helped me reduce my speed on the motorway and my fuel consumption and general agitation in the car have improved greatly as a result.

So, did you get a fine?

I've been waiting patiently for mine to come and have been driving within the speed limit since getting zapped BUT I now feel safe enough to post that I think they decided to let me go. I believe (hope) that there's a two week limit for them to advise intended prosecution, but knowing my luck it'll probablyland on the doorstep today!

Or....you forgot to update your address with all departments, it slipped behind something else in your mailbox, postie dropped it into a neighbour's and they chucked it.... etc, and it will be DOUBLE in a couple of weeks :ohmy:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Heard on the news this morning that Oxfordshire has turned it's speed cameras back on. They are saying the number of accidents has increased since they switched them off.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Or....you forgot to update your address with all departments, it slipped behind something else in your mailbox, postie dropped it into a neighbour's and they chucked it.... etc, and it will be DOUBLE in a couple of weeks :ohmy:

Or maybe the dog ate it:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here