Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 5/1 for Southampton to be relegated - value?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Haven’t looked and to be honest I pay no attention to betting markets ( at 56 I have never been in a book makers )

Just don’t know how you can make assumptions before teams even select their squads, there has been very little transfer news and won’t be until the euros finish next Monday I would think.

Palace have been favourites to go down the last 8 years and as yet have not even been close to it and the end of the season.
I can't really believe this is true, in fact it isn't even close, but in any case this is the first season I've genuinely got you earmarked to go down. You've got an untried manager the spine of your first XI out of contract and a talisman who would probably choose to move on if the right offer came in. It's not exactly guaranteed but you'll do well to finish above 16th IMO. It's a long season though, so 2/1 on a Palace relegation is too skinny for me. If Burnley and Palace both start off badly and Palace get the ginger dalek in (as they have tried before) I reckon you'll stay up comfortably.

On the other hand, people seem quick to write off Brentford's survival chances and I'm not sure why. They really are just a smaller version of the Albion - well run, a bit of new money, smart new stadium and some consistently decent recruitment over the past decade. I think they will surprise many. Southampton - not sure. 5/1 does seem value, but I don't expect them to go down even without Ings. They were horrific in the second half of the season but people forget they were outstanding in the first half. If I had to bet my mortgage on one team to go down, it would be Watford I think.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Aplogies for bursting your bubble, and spoiling your pint of Guinness, but may l just remind you of one small point?

Southampton finished last season on 43 points, with us on 41.

I know we are all Albion fans, but sometimes all this self congratulatory stuff on here sticks in my craw.

Okay, my bubble has not burst and my Guinness is rather tasty. As I live in Southampton you tend to hear more about Saints than folks living in Sussex. What I stated in my post is factual and not made up hype or opinion.
The Saints, as a club, are having a rough time of it and this is reflected in the attitude of many of their fans. The comparison on the fortunes of both clubs is evident and nothing at all self congratulatory as you put it.

Another point, to do with points, in mid-January Southampton were 15 points clear of the Albion and finally ended up with, um, just 2 more than us. So on that basis the fortune swing-o-meter is swinging in favour of the blue and white stripes wouldn’t you say? Anyway, I hope your craw is unblocked for you to enjoy an unspoilt pint of Guinness. :thumbsup:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Okay, my bubble has not burst and my Guinness is rather tasty. As I live in Southampton you tend to hear more about Saints than folks living in Sussex. What I stated in my post is factual and not made up hype or opinion.
The Saints, as a club, are having a rough time of it and this is reflected in the attitude of many of their fans. The comparison on the fortunes of both clubs is evident and nothing at all self congratulatory as you put it.

Another point, to do with points, in mid-January Southampton were 15 points clear of the Albion and finally ended up with, um, just 2 more than us. So on that basis the fortune swing-o-meter is swinging in favour of the blue and white stripes wouldn’t you say? Anyway, I hope your craw is unblocked for you to enjoy an unspoilt pint of Guinness. :thumbsup:

Fair comment! :)

My self congratulatory jibe weasn't directed at you per se. I simply think that many posters seem to be of the opinion that we are in fact much better than last season's league table would suggest.

Let's wait and see how well things go for the 1st part of the new season before people start predicting a top ten finish, because quite honestly l've seen little to suggest that that is how things are going to pan out.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Think West Ham @ 10/1 is where the value is.

Squad stretched by Europe, not signing Lingard & we know what the West Ham fans will be like if they start slowly and play rubbish football. Could be a recipe for disaster

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I can't really believe this is true, in fact it isn't even close, but in any case this is the first season I've genuinely got you earmarked to go down. You've got an untried manager the spine of your first XI out of contract and a talisman who would probably choose to move on if the right offer came in. It's not exactly guaranteed but you'll do well to finish above 16th IMO. It's a long season though, so 2/1 on a Palace relegation is too skinny for me. If Burnley and Palace both start off badly and Palace get the ginger dalek in (as they have tried before) I reckon you'll stay up comfortably.

On the other hand, people seem quick to write off Brentford's survival chances and I'm not sure why. They really are just a smaller version of the Albion - well run, a bit of new money, smart new stadium and some consistently decent recruitment over the past decade. I think they will surprise many. Southampton - not sure. 5/1 does seem value, but I don't expect them to go down even without Ings. They were horrific in the second half of the season but people forget they were outstanding in the first half. If I had to bet my mortgage on one team to go down, it would be Watford I think.

On this forum it has I can assure you :)

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

I can't see Brentford getting relegated. It sometimes seems like half their team plays for Denmark.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
Fair comment! :)

My self congratulatory jibe weasn't directed at you per se. I simply think that many posters seem to be of the opinion that we are in fact much better than last season's league table would suggest.

Let's wait and see how well things go for the 1st part of the new season before people start predicting a top ten finish, because quite honestly l've seen little to suggest that that is how things are going to pan out.

Absolutely agree. The Albion have played lovely football in the last two seasons but have flattered to deceive i.e. no end product (goals). Having said that they have improved overall as a team since the beginning of the year. I am an optimistic realist(!) so I believe we will better last season’s results. As you say let’s see how things pan out. One thing is for sure Graham Potter will be under pressure this coming year to produce and take the team forward and upwards.Tony Bloom expects it and who are we to argue.

P.S. Re.our recent discussion I wonder how Southampton will fare in their circumstances?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think last season West Ham overachieved and will finish outside the top 10 this season. Southampton equally could struggle this season especially if they lose Ings. However Crystal Palace just look like a car crash waiting to happen. They have half a squad and a relatively inexperienced manager, I cannot see it ending well for them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Aplogies for bursting your bubble, and spoiling your pint of Guinness, but may l just remind you of one small point?

Southampton finished last season on 43 points, with us on 41.

I know we are all Albion fans, but sometimes all this self congratulatory stuff on here sticks in my craw.

Stains, lost 15 of their last 21 league games
Albion, lost 8 of their last 21 league games

:shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Palarse, Wolves and Watford to go down.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Southampton have stated that they'll keep Ings for the season, hoping that he'll reconsider signing a new contract during the season....not likely I'd say.
Obviously they'll risk losing a transfer fee via this strategy and I wonder how motivated Ings will be. Still they keep a goal scorer for a season if they mean it.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
This really is the year there SHOULD be 6-7 teams solidly below us and we really shouldn't be bricking it with 5-10 games to go. The problem is that can backfire way the world seems to play it.

Randy McNob

> > > > > > Cardiff > > > > >
Jun 13, 2020
I thought he already tested himself at a higher level?

mid table prem is his level

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
On the other hand, people seem quick to write off Brentford's survival chances and I'm not sure why.

Maybe because, in nearly 30 years of the PL, there have been only three seasons when a promoted club hasn't been relegated, so the chances are that at least one of Norwich, Watford or Brentford will go down. Norwich stormed the league, so their chances look good, therefore there are good odds that at least one of Watford or Brentford will go - maybe even both.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
Southampton have stated that they'll keep Ings for the season, hoping that he'll reconsider signing a new contract during the season....not likely I'd say.
Obviously they'll risk losing a transfer fee via this strategy and I wonder how motivated Ings will be. Still they keep a goal scorer for a season if they mean it.

I’ll be surprised if the owners don’t sell him. Saints have so many players on huge wages and probably Ings amongst them. In order to recoup some dosh better for them to flog him off now rather than get nothing in a year’s time. The fact that Ings has stated that he wants to leave may sway the decision. It’s certainly a gamble either way. Keep him and you’ve got a player who doesn’t want to be there and may not be motivated enough, sell him and you’ve lost the one player who essentially saved you from relegation last season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe because, in nearly 30 years of the PL, there have been only three seasons when a promoted club hasn't been relegated, so the chances are that at least one of Norwich, Watford or Brentford will go down. Norwich stormed the league, so their chances look good, therefore there are good odds that at least one of Watford or Brentford will go - maybe even both.
Yes I would be amazed if all 3 stay up as I realise the stats are against last season's promoted teams. It is just that I suspect Brentford will recruit well and IMO are more likely to stay up than Watford; yet when I posted, Watford had barely been mentioned

Last edited:

el punal

Aug 29, 2012

Norwich may have stormed the second division league but they did it with very good Championship players. There in lies the problem. The club have not and will not spend big to attract experienced Premier League quality players. This is one of the reasons why they are the classic yo-yo side. Not good enough for the PL but superior to the majority of teams in the Championship. We wait and see though - Delia will have to publish another cookery book to provide the funds, as per last time! :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here