[Cricket] 2nd Test South Africa v England

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tea, Day 5

England 155-6 (59 overs), Bairstow 26* Ali 10*

Leading by 157 with 37 overs remaining (-2 for the change of innings). All 4 results are still possible, with the England win looking the least likely, and the draw the most.

What a pity South Africa batted so slowly... this could have been a really exciting finish.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We just need to burn as many overs as possible
I think England are looking safe. It's got to the stage where I'm almost wanting us to lose the last four wickets in the next 5 overs to give a tantalising 170 run chase in 30 overs!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think England are looking safe. It's got to the stage where I'm almost wanting us to lose the last four wickets in the next 5 overs to give a tantalising 170 run chase in 30 overs!

Yes that would be good to see, and oddly enough could open the possibility of an England win.

However a boring draw is better for English cricket.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Wouldn't wanna give them that many overs, but I too would like to see South Africa back in to bat today.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

It is getting to that point - they would have to call whether to go for it or play safe - they have a long tail

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes that would be good to see, and oddly enough could open the possibility of an England win.

However a boring draw is better for English cricket.

Exactly. Cook cannot declare if there is potential for an England loss, which is why I'd want that decision taken out of his hands for the sake of a very exciting session of cricket.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tea, Day 5

England 155-6 (59 overs), Bairstow 26* Ali 10*

Leading by 157 with 37 overs remaining (-2 for the change of innings). All 4 results are still possible, with the England win looking the least likely, and the draw the most.

What a pity South Africa batted so slowly... this could have been a really exciting finish.
Indeed. Amla's 200 was scored very slowly though at the time they thought they were batting just to save the match. I think we are just safe now thanks to Bairstow and Ali....just!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Er, de Villiers, de Kock and du Plessis are all excellent 20/20 players and more than capable of scoring at 10 an over. England need to bat on for as long as possible.

Don't forget though that this won't be 20:20 rules. No short boundaries, fielders can stand where they like. Makes it harder to repeat a 20:20 type score without a Stokes effort.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Er, de Villiers, de Kock and du Plessis are all excellent 20/20 players and more than capable of scoring at 10 an over. England need to bat on for as long as possible.
Not on a 5 day old pitch with no fielding restrictions and with a swinging ball.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Don't forget though that this won't be 20:20 rules. No short boundaries, fielders can stand where they like. Makes it harder to repeat a 20:20 type score without a Stokes effort.

True, but Stokes and Bairstow managed it and this pitch has not got much worse. If they put AB and de Kock in at 1 and 2 and they chance their arm, I can see them scoring 40 or 50 off the first 5 overs and then bottoms will get rather squeeky. England need to grind it out and not give SA a sniff.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great stat about Nick Compton now he's completed 20 innings for England in this test: the 2nd worst test strike rate of an England batsmen in the top 6 of the batting order since 1980 - 35.45 runs/100 balls.

Therefore, he is 2nd only to Arch Blocker-in-Chief / Demi-God Chris Tavare who managed 30.60 runs/100 balls.

What is even more incredible about Tavare is that his one-day strike rate was 48.94 runs/100 balls, so even less than 3 an over! How he managed to play in 29 ODIs at this rate without even scoring a century is truly incredible and a demonstration of how the one day international scoring rates have progressed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think if they are given a target that needs scoring under 10 an over they will give it a go with the batsmen they have. At least until the wickets start to tumble. This is a match they would have done well to draw after England's innings and they would not turn down any opportunity for a shock win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here