Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zidane to retire...

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Fragmented Badger said:
It is possible to be great, graceful, AND overrated though.

I didn't say they were incompatible. I'm just not accepting that he is overrated. And to be honest I can't see much evidence that backs your stance up. And as you admitted in your original post, not many people are going to agree with you.

Oct 25, 2003
exactly, you could be the best player on earth and still be overrated

for the record i never liked zidane that much, even in his prime, always preffered nedved, more for his hair than anything

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
tommy boy said:

It's difficult to overrate someone who is the best player on earth. Unless comparing them to every player through the ages of course, but not many people reckon he's the best eveer.

E

enigma

tommy boy said:

for the record i never liked zidane that much, even in his prime, always preffered nedved, more for his hair than anything

Nedved was actually a better player for Juventus, more effective certainly. Nedved is one of the most two footed players I have ever seen, I think I remember reading that even he wasnt sure which was his better foot.

But Zidane was far more entertaining to watch, a better passer of the ball and more skilful. He was also someone that usually delivered on the big stage (Champ League final, World Cup final).

Oct 25, 2003
nedved is just so much more a team player than zidane

if i could choose either of them in their primes, in MY team, i'd choose big pav any day

he also has that "old man run" where he doesn't actually seem to be running any faster than if he walked, which is obviously an illusion, i think albert jarett has it aswell

E

enigma

tommy boy said:
nedved is just so much more a team player than zidane

if i could choose either of them in their primes, in MY team, i'd choose big pav any day

he also has that "old man run" where he doesn't actually seem to be running any faster than if he walked, which is obviously an illusion, i think albert jarett has it aswell

I can see why someone would choose Nedved. That's not to say that I think he is a better player than Zidane but he was certainlly more useful for Juve than Zidane was. A better shooter/goalscorer and a hard worker, although he didnt have Zidanes skill or range of passing.

I have actually met Pavel Nedved. :)

Oct 25, 2003
when you have alberts talent there is no need to run, the game has to catch up with him, not the other way round

the new johan cruyff, remember the name- albert jarrett

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Zidane was the finest player of the 90s, no question. Such skills, strength, assurance and intelligent vision. Okay, the occasional red card for a haphazard tackle, all the more unusual for his monk-ish appearance and saint-like shyness off the pitch, but for France and in Serie A in his crucial years, he could just pass anyone off the pitch and be the best joy to watch.
And the way he swept all before him and spearheaded a merely decent-ish French side to that crucial World Cup win in 1998...

Certainly the best since Gullit, though he was a player I felt it was easy not to notice so much - was much younger then, though, I'm older than that now...
Zidane seemed more Platini-esque. Obviously faltered and fallen a long way since his Madrid move (never trust a midfielder or striker who adopts a defender's team-number such as '5'...), but very harsh to get caught up in an idea of Ronaldinho-the-only-flashy-genius so Zidane must have been a dull plodder...

Just a tragedy the young Zizou and Dugarry were turned down by Gerry Francis, when offered to Spurs by Bordeaux...

Zidane? "Too wooden", he said...

:down: :down: :down: :angry: :censored: :censored: :jester:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Black N Tan said:
, but is there a premiership side who wouldn't want him next season, I don't think so.

He would struggle to improve the top 3 and would probably price himself out of the others with wage demands. So the answer must be yes most of them as it stands.

If he said he just wanted to play in the premiership for 1 season to finish and his wage demands were realistic most would sign him including the top 3 as a squad player. I know that this slightly goes against what I originally said but he would be a handy player to use occassionally but full time on his probable wages No they wouldn't want him.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
can't believe anyone would question Zidane's greatness

seen him live a few times in his pomp and he really was amazing

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I must admit I prefer Nedved, I guess Frag is right, some players you just take to, others you don't.

Put it this way, even if he isn't really in the game Ronaldinho will do some moment of magic that will have an effect whereas I often remember seeing games where Zidane has done sweet FA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here