Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zidane to retire...

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
pishhead said:
No doubting Zidane was a great player and you can't underestimate his influence on france's sucess. However to be considering amongst the top 5 players of all time then its a bridge too far.
On another note I believe he played at the goldstone ground.
Now who can tell me what the game was?
he might not of actually played to be fair but was with the team at the time they played there.

didnt mention anything about being in the top 5 ever...

just think he will go down as one of the greats IMO...

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Correct i believe it was spurs versus bordeaux. Why did spurs use the goldstone anyway? seemed a really weird bizarre decision.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
didnt mention anything about being in the top 5 ever...

just think he will go down as one of the greats IMO...

No i know you never did, however it is inevitable that sections of the press will. Fair play to him for retiring now though, to be fair what more is there to win? won league titles in spain and Italy, world and european cups. Will never forgive the french bastard for doing us in our first game in the euros last time out.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
pishhead said:
No i know you never did, however it is inevitable that sections of the press will. Fair play to him for retiring now though, to be fair what more is there to win? won league titles in spain and Italy, world and european cups. Will never forgive the french bastard for doing us in our first game in the euros last time out.

yeah agree his honours list looks very impressive...

will never forget that game...

crazy...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
pishhead said:
Maybe so but surely so too were other grounds nearer to North London.
Probably, but it was mid-July, high season, tourists and all that. I don't think Spurs and Wimbledon could be arsed to open their doors to something they didn't really give a stuff about. So they let us do it.

It was very strange. I do recall something along the lines of those clubs being in trouble with UEFA if they pulled out - but I could be wrong.

Ronaldhino overtook him as best player on the planet at the last world cup but he was peerless as best player in the years before that, best since Maradona?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMHO he has made the right decision to retire whilest still playing for a top team bnefore they 'chopped ' him. He has been a very good player but is nowhere near that level consistently now only shows it on very rare occassions and only for a short while.

Black N Tan

Jan 28, 2006
West London
The Large One said:
You're right, I won't agree.

As someone who I've seen play in the flesh a few times, his play is awesome. The way he brings players into play, his touch, creativity, control. He is one of those rare players who can see two or three passes ahead just when he is about to recieve the ball. Brilliant, brilliant player.

France would not have won the World Cup nor the European Championships without his presence.

Pity you don't appreciate quality footballers, I can't help feeling you're missing out there.
Totally agree, over the last 40 years I've seen some of the greatest players ever. At his peak not only would Zidane get into any side but he would stand out no matter who played with him. Not now the player he was, but is there a premiership side who wouldn't want him next season, I don't think so.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fabulous player in his prime, the perfect midfielder. Sad to say he's a shadow of his former self now (the two games v Arse confirming it), but France would not have won a THING without him.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I agree with Frag a bit, he can be overrated at times. He is one of those players who plays a five yard pass and the commentator says 'He does the simple things so well'. Well in that case get yourself down the park and watch me because I nearly always make my five yard passes.

E

enigma

London Irish said:
Ronaldhino overtook him as best player on the planet at the last world cup but he was peerless as best player in the years before that, best since Maradona?

I would agree that he was the best player in the world from around 98-02. However, he wasnt the best player in the Italian league itself, both Totti and Rui Costa were arguably more consistent for their respective clubs in his position. Juve were more succesful after he left and Nedved joined.

I think he has been one of the best players of all time, but I think if Ronaldo hadnt had all the injuries, he would have been clearly better- compare the Ronaldo aged 20-22 to Zidane- he was still playing for Bordeaux.

What I admire about him was his touch and skill, particularly for a guy that was built like that.

E

enigma

Fragmented Badger said:
Thanks, Les!

2) He is sadly way, way beyond his best now, and has been for a few years now. He was great in 1998, better still in 2000, but since then I think he has struggled to repeat that form in what should have been the prime of his career - maybe he just peaked a little earlier than usual? As for the present day, though, he is EXACTLY the sort of player who typifies why Madrid are struggling so badly - big name, huge wages, top reputation, but past his best.

I agree with this.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
One day Ronaldinho will be past his best. It happens to everyone!

Few players can ever (in their day) be described as unquestionably the best player in the world. He is one of them though.

What I always loved about his play was his balance. Zidane is one of the most graceful players I've ever seen.

To call him overrated would be....wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here