Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zeqiri *Season-long loan to FC Augsburg*

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I do think that with Connolly going out and if there is no striker incoming, recalling Swiss Andi makes sense if possible. I actually think he offers more than Connolly (at this moment).

Have to agree if we are not splashing the cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If Connolly goes and we don't sing another stryka then I'd bring him back.

He's better than Strollabout

Who isn’t better than Strollabout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Pointless bringing him back. Not good enough at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wonder what will happen with Zeqiri in the summer.

His loan to Augsburg has been... not so good. Not a goal for five months and decreasing game time.

Not a bad player by any means, he has something and I find him intriguing as a player. Think he'll be a late bloomer but he is pretty far from the right level atm.

What to do? Keep? Sell? Loan again? Personally I'd like him to go to a Championship team for a season, preferably a shite one where he is almost guaranteed game time.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I wonder what will happen with Zeqiri in the summer.

His loan to Augsburg has been... not so good. Not a goal for five months and decreasing game time.

Not a bad player by any means, he has something and I find him intriguing as a player. Think he'll be a late bloomer but he is pretty far from the right level atm.

What to do? Keep? Sell? Loan again? Personally I'd like him to go to a Championship team for a season, preferably a shite one where he is almost guaranteed game time.

Every time he got on the pitch for us, he always did ok, though shunted a little wide.

I think there's a player in there, but yes, it will take him a while to learn his goalscoring trade at top level. I think he'll be another like Gyokeres, we'll sell him, he'll go on to do pretty well at a lower level and will likely go onto have some sort of top level career

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Broja, Saka, Smith Rowe, Ramsey, Havertz, Martinelli, Reece James?

Or just loan them out and see what happens

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Ok - so we need some champions league / top 4 players.

FYI - at 22 Bobby Zamora scored 0 PL goals at Spurs. Glenn Murray couldn’t score in League One..

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Ok - so we need some champions league / top 4 players.

FYI - at 22 Bobby Zamora scored 0 PL goals. Glenn Murray couldn’t score in League One..
Yep, BZ made it in the lower leagues. So did GM. But Zequiri looked out of place in the EPL and now in Bundesliga. Of course he might come good in time. Or he might just not be up to it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yep, BZ made it in the lower leagues. So did GM. But Zequiri looked out of place in the EPL and now in Bundesliga. Of course he might come good in time. Or he might just not be up to it.

The EPL and Bundesliga are top flight - not league one. BZ couldn’t make the step up at 22 at Spurs - in fact AC scored 5 more than he did. Bobby then had to drop down to West Ham in the championship age 23/24

FYI - Reece James has scored 1 more goal than AC, but played 30 more games - despite being a very odd choice.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The EPL and Bundesliga are top flight - not league one. BZ couldn’t make the step up at 22 at Spurs - in fact AC scored 5 more than he did. Bobby then had to drop down to West Ham in the championship age 23/24

FYI - Reece James has scored 1 more goal than AC, but played 30 more games - despite being a very odd choice.

Wasn’t Zeqiri more of a wide player, than a down the middle type.

I seem to recall him doing a really good job at Southampton at LWB.

I quite like the little I’ve seen and the comparison are just silly, as he’s made so few appearances in the PL, and can’t recall any of them being as a starter.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's a pretty obvious point, that there are no prolific forwards in the PL at Zeqiri's (or Connolly's) age.

Also that Kane, Vardy, Murray, Salah, Mane, Ings, Wilson and any decent top level striker that you can think of were down the leagues at that age.

Probably not since Rooney has a young striker really taken the league by storm and continued that excellence through their career, and given that he is England's record goalscorer I think we can regard him as exceptional.

What conclusions can we draw? Well I think that you need a lot of nous and know how as well as physical strength to score goals past PL keepers and defenders. You wo'nt normally get that till 24. Think about that if you see 17 y/o Ferguson get league minutes later in the season

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Few bits on twitter saying he has signed for FC Basel on a season loan.

Pretty sure it is true, it sounds like the most logical move. Even predicted it a few weeks ago;

Andi Zeqiri - no problem. Think the club is looking for a loan in England but worst case scenario could just loan him to a top club in Switzerland.

Great move for everyone IMO. Basel were pretty shite last season, by their standards, and Zeqiri should get a lot of game time. It is also a team that has developed some great talent over the years and hopefully could do the same with Zeqiri.

The Bundesliga was too difficult for Zeqiri, but in the easier yet still pretty decent Swiss league he might find a good environment to develop in.

Hopefully he'll improve enough to play for Brighton next year, but even if that doesn't quite happen I think he has a good chance to shine for FC Basel and at least be sold with a profit next summer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's very underwhelming, hope he's not in the first team squad. Bad buy but you win some and you lose some

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He's very underwhelming, hope he's not in the first team squad. Bad buy but you win some and you lose some

Not really fair IMO. Bought cheaply from the Swiss second division, yet looked like a player who could at some point be a decent player in a non-PL top 5 league. The chances of him making it in the PL were (and is) always slim, a real punt in that sense, but in the end I think the club has a very good chance of making a profit from him and then it turns difficult to call it a bad buy. Most players signed from utterly shite divisions ends up like Tudor Baluta or similar, but Zeqiri has already shown more than that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Could pretty much tell from the off he wasnt going to be good enough for where we are at.

Hopefully has a decent career though

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Could pretty much tell from the off he wasnt going to be good enough for where we are at.

Hopefully has a decent career though

I disagree, I think he's got something about him. Same with Khadra, he came into the team and instantly was involved in the game and played a role. There are players who are better technically who didn't have such an impact on the game. I thought Khadra and Zeqiri looked promising based on their instincts and ability to actually be involved and make something happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here