Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zeqiri or burn at lwb vs toon

Who is starting left back against Newcastle?

• Burn

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • Zeqiri

Votes: 156 68.7%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 17 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Playing Gross at RWB seems slightly unhinged considering his contribution going forward this season. Karbownik needs a look-in sooner or later, although in fairness, Burn seems to be much more solid in games of late.
Mentioned Gross purely because he played RWB - and fairly well too - for the second half at Stains. Could/should have added Alzate as another alternative if I'd thought about it.

DH12

Jan 7, 2016
Southsea
Mentioned Gross purely because he played RWB - and fairly well too - for the second half at Stains. Could/should have added Alzate as another alternative if I'd thought about it.

I'd just assumed, perhaps wrongly, that he'd dropped deeper in his starting position to allow our forward players to manipulate space in front of him, and that he was supporting the defence when Soton were in possession. It's a tough one with Potter, as multiple positions seem fluid and not 'fixed'-we transition quickly depending on who has the ball/where it is, which is testament to both coaching staff and the players intelligence/focus. This means it can sometimes be almost impossible to tell where an individual is actually 'playing' at any given time, but you're probably right in that Gross was a RWB-or at least a hybrid of RM/RWB.

Alzate is a handy shout, but I'm not sure if i completely trust him yet if that makes sense. He's not an out-and-out wingback either, but I'm not sure of his best position...probably buzzing about in midfield keeping things neat and tidy, like many of our CM's. Definitely one to consider as a WB though.

Call me mad, but could Moder be useful as a WB? He seems a bit less awkward and gangly than Burn, and although I've seen limited gametime of him, he's more defensively minded than box-to-box/attacking? Bit of an athlete too.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
BDB if fit. Good defender and brings something different (aerial ability) from the rest of the squad giving options and making life easier especially in build-up.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
With Newcastle likely to sit deep, I'd prefer to see the extra attacking ability of Zeqiri at LWB (and I am very much team BDB).

If fit enough to play, BDB can slot in as LCB with Dunk & White also in the middle and Veltman at RWB.

We'd still have BDB's aerial threat at corners, with the added bonus of Zeqiri being perfectly capable of scoring with his head too.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
------------------Sanchez
-----------White Dunk Burn
Veltman Bissouma Gross Zeqiri
-----------Lallana Trossard
-----------------Welbeck

I'm dropping Maupay to incorporate Zeqiri

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I want us to play 3 at the back as its our best system and also seemed to trouble Newcastle up there. No Lamptey unfortunately but Alzate or the Pole at RWB and Zequiri on the left. It's a must not lose game rather than a must win but I think we can and should try to win it given the run in. Veltman did a decent job at LCB so I'd keep him there and Burn on the bench.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
If fit Burn he's a defender after all, Zeqiri did remarkably well but it's not his natural position he's a centre forward and I would hope we he was given a chance there first

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I would have Veltman and Karbownik as the wing-backs and White, Dunk, Burn as CBs assuming Burn is fit. Think we definitely need Burn in the team if he's fit given Newcastle's tendency to lump it forward for Carroll at some point in the match.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Burn is fit then I'd start him as left-back.

Newcastle will be missing their dangermen Wilson and St Maximin, so the only way they can win this match is Fraser and Carroll combining, or Jonjo Shelvey shots from outside the box. Burn will counter the threat of Carroll, and Joelinton who is also something of a unit.

However, I think Potter should focus on us scoring the 2 goals that will probably get us the win, and that means getting Lallana on the ball and Trossard in the hole.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Dan Burn if he is fully fit but zequri will play a part too I would imagine.
Zeqeuri playing so well against saints will be good news for potter because he can use zeqieri if we want to switch from back four to back three as the game goes on.
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if we see them both start with BDB as left back and zequiri in front of him which will then give potter the option of switching to a back three if he want to move either white into the midfield or veltman as the wing back on the right in which case BDB will join the back three.
I'm starting to see now why potter likes players learning a couple of positions and seeing the benefits of doing so.
It really gives incredible flexibility in the formations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here