Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zeqiri or burn at lwb vs toon

Who is starting left back against Newcastle?

• Burn

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • Zeqiri

Votes: 156 68.7%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 17 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Which Leicester goal? Had a look back at a few but couldnt see which one you meant

The winner where Sanchez missed the cross. The reason the player was on is own able to take complete advantage of Sanchez missing the cross was Alzate went missing. Ian Wright even picked up on it on MOtD, keeper is entitled to miss one and have his defenders still mark opposition players so that they still have work to do to score. Watch Alzate lose him on replays, he has hold of him then completely ball watches land loses him completely. Sanchez’s mistake might not have led to a goal had Alzate stayed on his marker.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Which Leicester goal? Had a look back at a few but couldnt see which one you meant

I had a look as well and I'm guessing it's the winner for them. Alzate was marking Amatey but the latter steps back to create space. However, pretty sure all the blame for that goal rests with Sanchez for missing the cross! Harsh to blame Alzate.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Back Five:
Veltman - White - Dunk - Burn - Zeqiri

Dan Burn's name is one of the first on our teamsheet as statistically it's proven that he wins more aerial duels than anyone else we have.
We will need Burn to help handle Carroll, Lascelles, Joelinton.

Zeqiri looked great for 45 mins at Southampton, so I feel he deserves another chance at left wing back.

In summary, both should start but Burn is the more important for us.

Think this is a good point. Given we are a good attacking side, and if Bruce and his people watch all the sides around us that have got points, they will be set up to defend and contain and hope to get a set piece or goal on the break. Any free kicks are going to be launched into our box. Can’t see them coming out or at us like Southampton did, so think you’re right in that we’ll need that strength and height to combat their main threats.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The winner where Sanchez missed the cross. The reason the player was on is own able to take complete advantage of Sanchez missing the cross was Alzate went missing. Ian Wright even picked up on it on MOtD, keeper is entitled to miss one and have his defenders still mark opposition players so that they still have work to do to score. Watch Alzate lose him on replays, he has hold of him then completely ball watches land loses him completely. Sanchez’s mistake might not have led to a goal had Alzate stayed on his marker.

Harsh. Sanchez get's anything on it and it doesn't go to Amartey. Why is a goalkeeper entitled to 'miss one' but a defender isn't?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I had a look as well and I'm guessing it's the winner for them. Alzate was marking Amatey but the latter steps back to create space. However, pretty sure all the blame for that goal rests with Sanchez for missing the cross! Harsh to blame Alzate.

Why does just one player have to take the sole blame?

It’s harsh just to blame Sanchez! Both are culpable.

If you’ve put a keeper in to come for crosses, then you have to set up that he might miss the odd one. Don’t just blame him if he misses one as your second line of defence is everyone doing a basic marking job.

It’s like a good golfer will make an error into a bunker but his next shot is a good one close to the flag. In this instance we chipped into the bunker then chipped out of the bunker straight over the green into the rough.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Those advocating the back 5 of Veltman, White, Dunk, Burn, Zeqiri need to state who they are dropping of the midfield/ attack as that is the easy choice.

Lallana, Biss, Gross, Trossard, Welbeck, Maupay.... Who you dropping?

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I've added a poll for you.

However, I think a lot will depend on if Burn's hamstring has sorted itself out. I'd play Zeqiri based on his form against Saints but Potter will play Burn if he's fit.
This. If Burn is fit expect him to start with Zeqiri as impact sub.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
In that case I wonder why the OP stated 'LWB' ..............

We have, we can play White, Dunk and Veltman at CB in a three. Then we could play Burn or Zeqiri at LWB, and Gross or Karbownik (in his favoured position) at RWB.

Yup, you’re right but I think that really weakens us as Potter likes a left footer if possible at LCB and there is an argument that Veltman is our best RWB (I include Lamptey in that statement).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Amazed that this is even up for discussion if l'm honest, it has to be BDB every time for me, providing he is fit to play of course.

Young Andy Zequiri, as far as l know anyway, prior to half time last Sunday, had never played a game at wing back, let alone for a club in their most important game of the season. Unfair on him too l think to be thrust into the fray like that, and expect him to excel.

That said, l have been accused before of being something of a Hughtonista, and favouring the safety first approach, and maybe there is something in that. For a game as big as this though, we dare not risk losing it.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Those advocating the back 5 of Veltman, White, Dunk, Burn, Zeqiri need to state who they are dropping of the midfield/ attack as that is the easy choice.

I'm one of those advocating a back five.
I don't think we can leave out any of Lallana, Bissouma or Gross.

Therefore we can only choose two from Trossard, Welbeck or Maupay.

If I were manager I'd start Welbeck who's showing some decent form and links up well with Lallana and Gross.

Who to choose between Trossard and Maupay? I think I'd have to select Maupay for his tireless running and pressing.
Which is all a bit harsh on our St.Mary's match winner Trossard.

Or do I need to play a back five after all?
Decisions, decisions!

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Amazed that this is even up for discussion if l'm honest, it has to be BDB every time for me, providing he is fit to play of course.

Young Andy Zequiri, as far as l know anyway, prior to half time last Sunday, had never played a game at wing back, let alone for a club in their most important game of the season. Unfair on him too l think to be thrust into the fray like that, and expect him to excel.

That said, l have been accused before of being something of a Hughtonista, and favouring the safety first approach, and maybe there is something in that. For a game as big as this though, we dare not risk losing it.

I Think I read somewhere that Potter had tried him in that position at some point during training. If that is true then there is a good chance that he will have been coaching him in that position during this weeks training in case Burn is unfit.

DH12

Jan 7, 2016
Southsea
In that case I wonder why the OP stated 'LWB' ..............

We have, we can play White, Dunk and Veltman at CB in a three. Then we could play Burn or Zeqiri at LWB, and Gross or Karbownik (in his favoured position) at RWB.

Playing Gross at RWB seems slightly unhinged considering his contribution going forward this season. Karbownik needs a look-in sooner or later, although in fairness, Burn seems to be much more solid in games of late.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
OK Andi, the facial hair and gangly runs are looking good, now you just need to grow out your barnet...

p204676.png

p74375.png

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Although Zeqiri did well against Southampton for 45 minutes, its not really his position and i would prefer someone more used to that position. I'm not a fan of Burn at LWB but dont mind him so much as a centre back, however he does have the experience that Zeqiri lacks.

I would like to see Karbownik given a chance there, he played both wing back roles at his previous club, well enough for us to have noticed him and signed him, i believe he has also played LWB for Poland. I'd give him the position against Newcastle, is it too big a game to be trying things out? Possibly, but then we wont face any weaker opposition for the rest of the season apart from Sheffield United, so give him a go.

It’s been revealed that Zeqiri has been training as LWB since March got injured. Expect his role v Saints was more naturally advanced given the flow of the game but I thought he made me less nervous than with Burn there so we’ll see.

Don’t disagree re Karbownik either though as I though he looked assured in the U23 game I saw.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’d be more than happy to see Potter really take the game to Newcastle, White-Dunk-Veltman and whichever two wingbacks he thinks can provide enough attacking support.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I just pray that its a back five whoever plays. We look absolutely dog as a four. If Burn is out I'd like to see Velts, Dunk, and White as the three CBs and then a choice of Karb, Alzate, or Zeqiri as the wing backs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This........not sure any of those can/deserve to be dropped. Maupay isn't scoring so might be the 'obvious' choice but he's running defences ragged, creating the space that Lallana and Welbeck can cleverly exploit as they did last week.

Suspect Dan will start with Andi on the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here