Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yves Bissouma SINGS on a 5 (five) year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Quite a few of these clubs are holding out for Rice or Phillips in the next window or two and know if they can't get them, well Camavinga or Niguez will have smaller transfer fees

We were talking about midfield players who CL clubs might or might not have bought in the last transfer window. He was an option for a number of top teams as was Yves, Locatelli, Niguez and a lot of other players. Some went some didn't.

Either I'm misreading it or you've mistyped.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Either I'm misreading it or you've mistyped.

Fair enough.

I suppose I'm making a wider point, which is we have some great young players, Yves of course, but also Lamptey and others slightly further behind who in years to come are going to get top offers. We only have a small chance of keeping them whatever, but we have no chance at all of fending off offers from big clubs unless the perception of us as a club that we're delighted to finish 16th or 17th every season in perpetuity (because that perception does exist whether fair or otherwise) is lifted. To do that we'd have to show more ambition in terms of remediating our obvious weaknesses.

To be clear, i'm not stating the club should be run differently than it is. As others have said, it's more likely than not that even if we did bust the bank and landed a top striker that we'd lose players we want to keep anyway. But that perception of clear forward momentum is a powerful persuasion tool when trying to get your best players to sign on the dotted line once more. It at least gives us a chance of keeping our stars. We've gone down a different, much longer route, and i'll get behind the club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1437786943341875201[/tweet]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It’s worth noting that whilst not ideal, the ACON would mean we ‘only’ lose him for two league games - the other two weeks are fa cup ties.

We would be lucky if it is just that, I think.

Actual AFCON dates are 9th January to 6th March. Mali have Mauritania in the group and 3 of the 4 qualify, so chances are they'll be there for at least one knock out game - taking them up until at least 26th January.

Last time I think they had to report for international duty 1st January (we play at Everton on NYD - hopefully an agreement would be reached to let him stay for that). He would definitely miss Palace H (15th) and Leicester A (22nd), and depending on how far they go, and on any quarantine rules applicable on return, he'd be touch and go for Chelsea H (8th Feb) and Watford A (12th)

And that is not considering any rest period needed or the risk of injury....

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
You know what he means, you pendant.

Pendant.jpg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair enough.

I suppose I'm making a wider point, which is we have some great young players, Yves of course, but also Lamptey and others slightly further behind who in years to come are going to get top offers. We only have a small chance of keeping them whatever, but we have no chance at all of fending off offers from big clubs unless the perception of us as a club that we're delighted to finish 16th or 17th every season in perpetuity (because that perception does exist whether fair or otherwise) is lifted. To do that we'd have to show more ambition in terms of remediating our obvious weaknesses.

To be clear, i'm not stating the club should be run differently than it is. As others have said, it's more likely than not that even if we did bust the bank and landed a top striker that we'd lose players we want to keep anyway. But that perception of clear forward momentum is a powerful persuasion tool when trying to get your best players to sign on the dotted line once more. It at least gives us a chance of keeping our stars. We've gone down a different, much longer route, and i'll get behind the club.

Are you really of the view that we haven't created that perception?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Every fan I know of any PL club we play always tells me how they wish they’d sign Yves and yes that does include top six clubs. We have never had a player so coveted by fans of other clubs imo :smile:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes this.

This season is a HUGE bonus for me, I was sure he would go in the summer. I love the man, he is now my favourite all time Albion player and will be devastated when he goes but he deserves to play at the very highest level. Watching the Champions League games last night, he should be playing at that level. He would still be one of the best midfielders in the competition.

I'm with you all the way here. Biss this season is a bonus. As others have said, he should be playing CL football and challenging for trophies -- something that cannot be said for any of our current players.
I still think that he will sign a new contract, which will drastically improve his wages, but will contain a release clause that will disappoint many on here who haven't really thought about the situation he's in contractually.
I also kind of want him to move on, precisely because we need to enhance that reputation as the conveyor belt or stepping-stone amongst the best young talent around the world (which is already there, but could be improved).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm with you all the way here. Biss this season is a bonus. As others have said, he should be playing CL football and challenging for trophies -- something that cannot be said for any of our current players.
I still think that he will sign a new contract, which will drastically improve his wages, but will contain a release clause that will disappoint many on here who haven't really thought about the situation he's in contractually.
I also kind of want him to move on, precisely because we need to enhance that reputation as the conveyor belt or stepping-stone amongst the best young talent around the world (which is already there, but could be improved).

Not sure about the leaving bit, but understand the sentiment.

The contract bit though I would have thought is almost a given, with a hefty release clause. The way he dominated at Brentford was an absolute masterclass.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sure about the leaving bit, but understand the sentiment.

The contract bit though I would have thought is almost a given, with a hefty release clause. The way he dominated at Brentford was an absolute masterclass.

He's not going to sign a contract with a hefty release clause. There are negotiations and, whatever you and others on here think (or, more accurately, want), it's Biss that's got the upper hand.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He's not going to sign a contract with a hefty release clause. There are negotiations and, whatever you and others on here think (or, more accurately, want), it's Biss that's got the upper hand.

Sure, but it depends what you regard as hefty really. Tony Bloom has shown he is a shrewd negotiator and I’m sure he has it in hand.

For me, a player of his ability who is likely to improve a top team, I would suggest a release clause of £50m plus add-one’s is not unreasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Absolutely……..he doesn’t need to……..he knows he can (and almost certainly will) leave in one of the next couple of windows to a top club, so sitting on his current wage for a bit longer rather than signing a new contract won’t be a problem for him. A release clause would be mostly for the club’s benefit now so there’s not much logic in him signing a contract that contains one and potentially limiting his transferability.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sure, but it depends what you regard as hefty really. Tony Bloom has shown he is a shrewd negotiator and I’m sure he has it in hand.

For me, a player of his ability who is likely to improve a top team, I would suggest a release clause of £50m plus add-one’s is not unreasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ what Dazzer says

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
My theory is that he will have a look at where we are at Xmas, then get the heads up of who we are trying to sign to improve the team then sign an extension etc or up sticks and go.
Enjoy him whist he is here, the best player we have had since Lawrenson went back in the day.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was there actually any 'real' interest in Bissouma? Of course his agent will no doubt be testing the water. I'd still wager if he's going to move, he'll move any way so why not negotiate a 50% pay rise for at least a season or 2

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Another day, another bounce and still no new contract.
Makes me think he's waiting to see what offers are around in January.

Can't see the club wanting any kind of release clause in the contract to be honest.
That's too much like showing everyone your hand for TB.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Was there actually any 'real' interest in Bissouma? Of course his agent will no doubt be testing the water. I'd still wager if he's going to move, he'll move any way so why not negotiate a 50% pay rise for at least a season or 2

A bit of paper talk, but no apparent bids. Unless there were bids but they were kept way more under wraps than they usually are, which I doubt

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just maybe he bloody loves it here and is in no hurry to go anywhere? He certainly looks like he is having fun playing for the Albion to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here