Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

YouTube: Bradford City Fire Video

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
eastlondonseagull said:
But I was bricking it at Chesterfield, people smoking while standing on wooden floor and with wooden 'seats'.

That made me scared a few years back, when we were also down the side, behind the goal. I remember saying it to dad.

Also the same feeling happened for me at Ipswich, on that top tier.

I am pretty phobic of fire (am better than i used to be - used to wake up thinking tha tthe house was on fire) and i always check my exit routes wherever i am. I think that video didnt help when i was in year 7 and they showed it to us. Terrifying stuff

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
HampshireSeagulls said:
Uuurgh. Re-entry routines and fire triangles! I used to hate re-entry from below or above on ships, it's really taking your life into your hands opening that hatch and hoping that you've managed to seal it with the waterwall. As for the technique of dangling a fully charged hose down between your legs as you go down a ladder....not half as much fun as it sounds!

:lolol:
We train in 40ft steel containers (like the ones you see on the back of lorries). The Flashover / Backdraft instructors set fires at the back of the containers, seal them up, wait for them to suck up all the oxygen, then we have to make entry and search for casualties. If you don't get it right the fire-ball that shoots back over your head is truly awesome.

Iv'e never been trained for firefighting on a ship, but the thought of a fully charged hose dangling between my legs is enough to make my eyes water as I reach for the life insurance policy!!!

Backdraft from a 40ft steel container training rig:
(The smoke being sucked in back through the 'window' to the left of the firefighter is a classic indication that the conditions for a backdraft are just about perfect. This is why it is a good idea to keep low when you open the door!).
backdraftad6.jpg

Last edited:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The only thing I remember from the film "Backdraft" is the guy opening the door and him getting blown away by the explosion as the oxygen entered the room.

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
eastlondonseagull said:
But I was bricking it at Chesterfield, people smoking while standing on wooden floor and with wooden 'seats'.

Me too, I waited till half time for mine!!!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Bry Nylon said:
:lolol:
We train in 40ft steel containers (like the ones you see on the back of lorries). The Flashover / Backdraft instructors set fires at the back of the containers, seal them up, wait for them to suck up all the oxygen, then we have to make entry and search for casualties. If you don't get it right the fire-ball that shoots back over your head is truly awesome.

Iv'e never been trained for firefighting on a ship, but the thought of a fully charged hose dangling between my legs is enough to make my eyes water as I reach for the life insurance policy!!!

Ah - the fun of reality firefighting! Put you on top of a three storey steel box and set fire to it. Tends to focus the mind somewhat! Had the reinforced hose on a breathing set rupture by my ear once during a re-entry. Not a good time to lose air, communications and your focus!

We used to play with hot-fat fireballs from galley fires. An oil drum full of burning fat, a piece of angled metal over the top, and a couple of gallons of water dropped in. Until you can see a waterwall stop the fireball with your own eyes, you truly believe that adrenaline is brown and runny!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
When I was based in Plymouth we did a fire fighting course at Tamerton Foliot. One of the fires was a galley fire which had to be covered with foam.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Too young to remember it, but watching it now afresh, and the dancing, laughing idiots on the pitch as it all goes on behind them are some of the most stomach-churningly sickening images I've ever seen on camera.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shocking to say the least and I remember it all so vividly and also Heysel.

I am sure I read somewhere that local legend has it the person who started that fire is known within circles.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Yorkie said:
Thank God my son didn't go to that match.

I did lose two female work colleagues although I didn't know them well as they were in another department.

RIP.

Sometimes it just "fate"....my brother decided to come home and watch the Albion instead of going to that game

That clip still seems beyond belief...so sad that some people went to the game but never went home...:angel:

Mr Burns said:

Another reason to shout to the time wasting Labour ****ing Party, get it f***ing sorted!

I think you'll find it is the Liberal ****ing Democrats and Tory ****ing Party of LDC fame who are in need of the shout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here