YouTube: Bradford City Fire Video

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i have seen it before but the quickness the whole stand went up was unbeivable

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Incredible, you just cant imagine what it must have been like to be around that area, nowhere to go, gates locked, fire raging, panic.

56 fans lost their lives that day, all because they wanted to watch a football match.

Focuses the mind somewhat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_City_disaster

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I remember John Helm's commentary being used on the radio on my way home from the Albion.

Incredibly sad. As an idea of the heat, when the man is on fire towards the end the crush barrier behind him is bending almost in half - just melting. Dreadful :nono:

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Shit that is awful :ohmy:
Never seen that video before and it has brought a shudder over my body, that commentator at the end sounded like he was close to tears and to be honest, if that was me, I would have been in tears.

How many people died? The police looked like they did a VERY good job on trying to get the people out.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
It wasnt a good time for football, 11 May 1985 Bradford v Lincoln = 56 died in the fire and just a couple of weeks later 39 killed at Juventus v Liverpool.

I think we played at home to Sheffield United when the Bradford fire happened. I was in the North Stand and have vague recollection of a small fire being started in the North Stand with Season ticket books as people were bored with the football and we could no longer get promoted. Nobody knew what was happening at Bradford.

The day of the Liverpool v Juventus match I missed the build up as my Sister had her new boyfriend round to tea, so we had tea at the table. I was allowed to escaped to watch the football and couldnt believe it when I turned on the TV and the kick off was delayed because of the trouble.

I also remember the South Stand fire. We had applied for planning permission to make it bigger, it was rejected and the stand was gutted by the fire a few weeks later. It re-opened all seater, but no bigger than before.

BTW that video is shocking, the pace the fire spreads is scary.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Mr Blobby said:
It wasnt a good time for football, 11 May 1985 Bradford v Lincoln = 56 died in the fire and just a couple of weeks later 39 killed at Juventus v Liverpool.

I think we played at home to Sheffield United when the Bradford fire happened. I was in the North Stand and have vague recollection of a small fire being started in the North Stand with Season ticket books as people were bored with the football and we could no longer get promoted. Nobody knew what was happening at Bradford.

The day of the Liverpool v Juventus match I missed the build up as my Sister had her new boyfriend round to tea, so we had tea at the table. I was allowed to escaped to watch the football and couldnt believe it when I turned on the TV and the kick off was delayed because of the trouble.

I also remember the South Stand fire. We had applied for planning permission to make it bigger, it was rejected and the stand was gutted by the fire a few weeks later. It re-opened all seater, but no bigger than before.

BTW that video is shocking, the pace the fire spreads is scary.

I remember it, the day we drew with Sheffield Utd 1-1 and Barry lloyd was droning on and on in the interview afterwards and even at that time we didnt realise the horror that had gone on in Bradford.

Very sad. They (Bradford fans) were still singing because even being that close to a disaster they couldnt realise it.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Unbelieveable the way it spread.

It makes you wonder about the South Stand at Withdean. Obviosuly its never going to burn down, but what if forever reason, it needed to be empited for whatever reason, what chance would anyone stand. There is way way out over the back, and unless you fancy a 12 foot drop, the only way out is down the stairs.

Obviously its pased its safty tests, but if it did start to collaspse, would chance would anyone have?

Another reason to shout to the time wasting Labour ****ing Party, get it f***ing sorted!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I've posted a comment on YouTube about this - there was wooden seating at Chesterfield when we were there a few weeks ago. I hope the same won't happen there :nono:

Shocking video :(

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Watching it sent shivers up my spine, horrible to see people being dragged across the pitch, and especially that man on fire.

To everyone who passed away, Rest In Peace:angel: :(

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair to the lads singing, I imagine they had no idea of the scale of the disaster unfolding at that point. Yes, they could see the stand burning down, but if you look at them, they're mainly the ones who got out first, and probably thought it was all quite exciting, a bit of an exotic turn of events on a day of celebration.

They couldn't have known at that point that people were trapped, or burning alive.

It took 3 minutes for the entire stand to go up, makes you think, doesn't it?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
edna krabappel said:

It took 3 minutes for the entire stand to go up, makes you think, doesn't it?

Indeed. Most public venues, theatres, cinemas, sports stadia etc. have a 3 minute evacuation time given to them when performing drills.

I think sadly most would fail to meet this time limit if they were at capacity.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Plus the exit gates are no longer allowed to be locked like a Manila sweatshop.

Funny how the Bradford disaster has almost faded from the public consciousness these days, contrary to, say, Hillsborough, or Heysel. Granted, there were no obvious, glaringly wrong decisions on the day, like at Hillsborough, but it was still the culmination of years of neglect, and a by-product of the authorities' attitude that football was for working class thugs, who would never question the conditions they were provided with.

I hope it's not because it was "only" Bradford, and not a big club that it happened to.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
eastlondonseagull said:
Anyone know how many were packed into that stand that afternoon?

Far too many by the looks of it:(

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The commentator said 2,500.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here