Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Youth footy county cup

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Where do you hear that EP have got money to develop the youth? I run the u16's and our 4 junior teams (U10,13,14 & 16) are self financed. Last seasons U18 team paid the club to run them for 1 season as they came from Worthing. The club lost £20k last season and will not be running an U18 or ladies teams ths season.
If there are any other U16 teams out there who want a PSF then get in touch.
Off to see who we've got in the cup!,

have you still got that decent ref that used to ref all your games,remember talking to him when my lad played you down in sidlesham couple of years ago,his sonwas in goal

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
Disappointed to read that players continuely jump between clubs. Where has the loyalty gone nowadays? My sons play for Barnham Trojans and will enter the U18 County League next season. Majority of the lads have been with BT since U11's (some even earlier!) and this seems to be a common theme throughout the club. Majority of the adult players (First team play in County League 3) are products of the youth! The U18's will train with the adults this season as they are viewed (and are being developed) as future players. Some have already played in friendlies for the first, just to gain experience.

Okay, i know the club is not perfect and, as always, some areas can be improved but i'm glad to see that the club youth are given the opportunity to play County League football rather than jump ship.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Disappointed to read that players continuely jump between clubs. Where has the loyalty gone nowadays? My sons play for Barnham Trojans and will enter the U18 County League next season. Majority of the lads have been with BT since U11's (some even earlier!) and this seems to be a common theme throughout the club. Majority of the adult players (First team play in County League 3) are products of the youth! The U18's will train with the adults this season as they are viewed (and are being developed) as future players. Some have already played in friendlies for the first, just to gain experience.

Okay, i know the club is not perfect and, as always, some areas can be improved but i'm glad to see that the club youth are given the opportunity to play County League football rather than jump ship.

They jump ship at 16 as their clubs they are with have no U18s, noting to do with loyalty all about lack of infrastructure

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
this,nothing to do with jumping ship!!!.would always look for the development over glory

The problem with youth footie is you are pretty naive as a first time thing.You put trust in coaches with an fa level one certificate, which having got one i know that a one legged monkey could get. Most parents hope that the coach would be able to coach but as you progress through the seasons you can see where development should be better. Both my boys have had three different clubs even leaving the seagull club which i was coaching,because i wanted development in a footballing and life skills way.
Having played in the Tandridge,west Surrey and Sussex sunday leagues he has wider grounding in football. To be fair coaching is a thankless job but their are very few decent coaches around so having a look around is not a bad thing.

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
this,nothing to do with jumping ship!!!.would always look for the development over glory

Apologises, maybe 'jumping ship' is the wrong phrase to use. Also understand that clubs do stop at U16's and, more likely, managers have had enough by then! Maybe we've been lucky that our local club does have the infrastructure in place for youth development and provides opportunities.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
barnham thats good to hear,i hate hearing that boys have stopped PLAYING,after under 16,because there isnt a natural progression into the sport

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
In Notts we're into a second season of u21 league, to try to keep people involved post u16/u18. Seems to be working well, is expanding for 12-13,

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
The problem with youth footie is you are pretty naive as a first time thing.You put trust in coaches with an fa level one certificate, which having got one i know that a one legged monkey could get. Most parents hope that the coach would be able to coach but as you progress through the seasons you can see where development should be better. Both my boys have had three different clubs even leaving the seagull club which i was coaching,because i wanted development in a footballing and life skills way.
Having played in the Tandridge,west Surrey and Sussex sunday leagues he has wider grounding in football. To be fair coaching is a thankless job but their are very few decent coaches around so having a look around is not a bad thing.

This is dead on, having done the level 1 I understand completely, when I ran teams my coaching would always come from the workbook or own ideas from watching the albion do drills and scoping it down for younger lads to try, I was desperate to do my level 2 but unfortunately work has got in the way.
From watching my brother recently though does anybody feel the standard has or worse since we played, all I seem to see is the defence smashing the ball as far as possible then the fast child is stuck upfront? Some of the football is shite depending
On the coach I guess.
One thing has anybody had any trouble with thier kids wearing glasses? As there seems to be a couple of refs that won't allow it and majority that do, as my brother who's 15 in September and is built like a rock has long sightedness, sometimes he gets hit with the ball but it doesn't stop him. He's even going up to play against arsenals acadamy at the end of August.

Jun 22, 2011
Its a shame county league football is more about money now, there are some very good players playing at youth level, but wont get to much of a look in a senior level, Shoreham were a very good youth team last year they won all but the county cup, lost to Burgess Hill in the semi, but beat Eastbourne Borough in the play off final, they had four or five playing county one last year, lots to like at u18 level Chichester, Eastbourne, Pagham to name just a few have all got good players, its just a crying shame that clubs dont trust the younger players more

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton

I also have the Level One and you are totally correct in saying that a one legged monkey could pass. Unless you don't turn up, there is no way you could fail. As i mentioned in a previous thread, maybe we've been lucky that the BT infrastructure is good. Qualified coaches (many work for BHA) are available for managers to access so players with receive Level 2 and 3 coaching. Maybe there are benefits to move from club to club as you mentioned and i totally understand that, but there are also benefits by staying with the same club.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I think you have to find a club that's appropriate for your child's level of ability. Some clubs have enough players to accommodate three squads of different ability kids, others don't. I moved one of mint to a higher performing club, one to a lower performing one. Both now play at the right level for them and learn at the right pace. They can play with their mates at school.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I had a licence to train as was but the problem with up to around U13s is you are managing parental expectation more than anything else, once the parents lost interest the years up to U16s was far more fun and productive

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
very suprised john,i know for a fact 4 young players have gone from under 16s to lancing last year and have done remarkable not just doing welli n under 18 league,but also playing for mens reserve team,yes things will change now the management has changed,but they certainly are giving the youth a chance,and worthing and whitehawk too,i was told about east preston having money last year,it seems that info was wrong.

It was interesting that lancing had 40 young players turn up forunder 18 preseason training

That's my point though mate. Having a lots of kids making up a reserve team is not what I call 'giving youth a chance'. Trusting the better ones in 1st team games is giving them a chance! Come back to me at the end of the season and show me just one of those players has started 10 or more games, I promise you it won't happen. I'm not slagging Lancing or any other club off just pointing out that 1st team chances are limited at those clubs with budgets and aspirations to win the league.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's my point though mate. Having a lots of kids making up a reserve team is not what I call 'giving youth a chance'. Trusting the better ones in 1st team games is giving them a chance! Come back to me at the end of the season and show me just one of those players has started 10 or more games, I promise you it won't happen. I'm not slagging Lancing or any other club off just pointing out that 1st team chances are limited at those clubs with budgets and aspirations to win the league.

Having a reserve team would help, most seem to have abandoned that idea now as well

I think you have to find a club that's appropriate for your child's level of ability. Some clubs have enough players to accommodate three squads of different ability kids, others don't. I moved one of mint to a higher performing club, one to a lower performing one. Both now play at the right level for them and learn at the right pace. They can play with their mates at school.

Its a shame that if your ability is at the lower end that you can't access decent coaches,my sons have played at different ends of the youth league systems but the one that plated div4 has been playing county youth footie and had a run out for the reserves yesterday,also just completed his level 2.
All players develop at different rates but all should have decent coaching.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Having a reserve team would help, most seem to have abandoned that idea now as well

I know. It's shocking that any club could even consider not having a reserve side or a U18's but this is the way it's going. Some clubs in the county really do believe the 1st team is the be all and end all..... Hence why they don't trust youngsters even when they obviously should.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Its a shame that if your ability is at the lower end that you can't access decent coaches,my sons have played at different ends of the youth league systems but the one that plated div4 has been playing county youth footie and had a run out for the reserves yesterday,also just completed his level 2.
All players develop at different rates but all should have decent coaching.

I think it's a bit luck of the draw what coaching you get. It's often a good natured volunteer who hasn't played since school and is quickly out of their depth. I've worked at pro clubs and grassroots, think most valuable training for coaches dealing with grassroots kids are the Youth Modules.

Jun 22, 2011
Shoreham last year had four youth players that played 15-20 games each minimum and another three players that played about 10, I think there should be a u21 league set up at county level.
Ive held my level three (uefa b) coaching badge since 1994, so I love to watch players at that level progress but they need to be given a fair chance which at most clubs, inc Shoreham this year I dont think they will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here