You're the ref. What's your decision?

Your decision

• Total voters

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
8015368309_37ab580c42_o.gif

Both players with both feet off the floor and both win the ball. Dangerous? Steaming tackle in derby atmosphere? What would you give?

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
My double yellow would only be for a warning for others too just to calm the game down a little. Shelvey is already looking where the ball is going that he won. Still can't believe people are saying otherwise.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Only problem is Shelvey didn't win the ball just caught Evans leg. Evans won the ball and was badly and dangerously fouled. Refs decision correct. The ball bounced of of Evans and Shelvey hit it with his standing foot (left one) not the one he lunged in with.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Only problem is Shelvey didn't win the ball just caught Evans leg. Evans won the ball and was badly and dangerously fouled. Refs decision correct.

The last thing you looked at was the CMS penalty so I'm not listening to you ;) Are you saying shelvey's foot didnt touch the ball first? Also Evans was hardly touched.

Potters mate

Jan 22, 2004
Lewes
Neither player 'won' the ball, what im looking at is the amount of contact made, In my opinion and that of all referees i have spoken to (5) is that Halsey got the decision spot on. The laws of the game dont change depending on the atmosphere, its the players responsibility to take into account the environment (atmosphere and how slippy the surface is etc) the match is played in and not the referees.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Neither player 'won' the ball, what im looking at is the amount of contact made, In my opinion and that of all referees i have spoken to (5) is that Halsey got the decision spot on. The laws of the game dont change depending on the atmosphere, its the players responsibility to take into account the environment (atmosphere and how slippy the surface is etc) the match is played in and not the referees.

I think they both did. And so far only 8 of 26 votes say he got the decision right. Not that a populous result is ever usually right of course. Neither play was hurt (Evans was fine) so I can't see the point of anything moe than a general warning.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
It's not just whether a player wins the ball, but whether it is out of control, reckless or dangerous. A foul is the first, where a player is late because of poor timing or more skill from an opponent. The second is where it may not be intentional to cause injury but the force is deemed excessive. The third is where another player's safety is put at risk and especially if the tackle is two footed or over the ball. Evans' two feet do leave the ground, but in the interest of planting one and kicking the ball with the other, before the two players get into the tackle. By the time they collide Shelvey's foot is still above the ball and half way up Evans' shin. Shelvey was reckless in his challenge, Evans was not. Whilst I doubt it was intentional or malicious, he could have caused serious injury, and deserved his red - Halsey got it right.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I've gone for red for both, as IMO they both have both feet off the floor. I thought a two footed tackle, regardless of whether you win the ball, was nw a straight red.

I'm waiting for Brighton4 Cambridge3 to give his (qualified!) opinion!

Oh, and if Shelvey gets sent off, how on earth did David Luiz stay on the pitch at Chelsea?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's not just whether a player wins the ball, but whether it is out of control, reckless or dangerous. A foul is the first, where a player is late because of poor timing or more skill from an opponent. The second is where it may not be intentional to cause injury but the force is deemed excessive. The third is where another player's safety is put at risk and especially if the tackle is two footed or over the ball. Evans' two feet do leave the ground, but in the interest of planting one and kicking the ball with the other, before the two players get into the tackle. By the time they collide Shelvey's foot is still above the ball and half way up Evans' shin. Shelvey was reckless in his challenge, Evans was not. Whilst I doubt it was intentional or malicious, he could have caused serious injury, and deserved his red - Halsey got it right.

That is it exactly

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Shelvey's was a red all day long. Can't even believe there is a discussion about it. Evans maybe a yellow.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
None. 50-50 ball, both players trying to play the ball. neither out skilled each other, both made contact, no injury and it wasn't any more dangerous a tackle made by either player. The punishment should be the same (if there is a punishment given). A reminder that tackles need to be under control to both in the next break in play.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's not just whether a player wins the ball, but whether it is out of control, reckless or dangerous. A foul is the first, where a player is late because of poor timing or more skill from an opponent. The second is where it may not be intentional to cause injury but the force is deemed excessive.

Bang on. First person in the thread to hit nail on head. People who look first at "who won the ball" are coming at it from the wrong angle. Means shit all who won the ball if they're deemed to have been excessive in force, ie gone in quicker than needed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Personally I would give a very strong yellow to both. Horrible challenge and could've easily ended a career.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How can anyone give nothing against Evans?! He goes in with a two footed stamp over the ball.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Interesting reading on BBC website CLICK HERE

Effectively there are four types of challenge - firstly a correct tackle, where the player fairly wins the ball and there is no impact on their opponent, the vast majority of challenges.

A small element are careless - the player makes a legitimate attempt but either in their timing or the skill of the opponent, they foul the other player and a free kick is given.

If the tackle is reckless in nature, the player is booked, a yellow card is given.

If a player endangers the safety of their opponent, it's a red card, a sending-off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here