Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Thoughts When We First Signed Gus?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I was delighted that we finally had a chairman who had some vision.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I remember being quite excited and frantically texting a lot of people to tell them. I think that was based on his playing career rather than optimism at a brilliant manager in the making

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I was excited, I thought it followed our tradition in recent times of having likable managers, Mickey Adams, Steve Coppell, Peter Taylor...

Gus Poyet...Awesome. :bhasign:

And having been such an exciting footballer the prospect of that rubbing off on the club and the way we play was pretty cool too.

Very pleased I was.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I, like I seem to remember a lot of people at the time, wanted Coppell back. I was excited by Poyet's flair South American nature, but also a bit concerned because he was totally unproven as a number one. When he spoke of passing the ball and all that I thought it was cool, but had serious doubts about the ability of the players to actually play this kind of game. With some players that criticism was clearly justified and they have since left, with others it quite evidently wasn't.

A breath of fresh air, especially after the litany of mediocrity that went before under Adams - though no issue with Slade who did a fine job under the constraints to keep us above water so that a Poyet would even come to The Albion (he probably wouldn't have signed for us as a league 2 club)

I met G & M in a petrol station up the A23 and was pleased to welcome them to my club, and they were both grateful and gracious. I meant it in wishing them luck, and believe it's entirely down to me that they are successful and staying with us. I could have added "look out for Adam el-Abd, he's brilliant", but held back to see if Poyet was any good and would spot talent when he saw it. He did, of course, which endorses my faith in his judgment.

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I was absolutely delighted and still am !
I'm just so glad that Coppell said no to Dick Knight

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
I was nervous at first cus it was the first time he had control over a team but now that hes settled I LOVE HIM

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What were they, huh?! What was the very first thing you thought?

I confess mine was of mild disappointment, tinged with mildly optimistic intrigue. I, like many others maybe, had thought that Jim Gannon was the hot ticket.

Perhaps this shows my knowledge of football wasn't absolute! Perhaps it was natural to the unknown ability of Gus as number one. I didn't refer to his time at Leeds, and his almost Ray Wilkins-like hidden effect upon the Leeds team and set-up, that revealed itself when he left.

I remembered his time there later, and the less revealing time spent at Tottenham, when the dialogue began here about his ability.

Well what a f***ing turn-up for the books it has been. It has proven part of building the status and foresight of Chairman Bloom into the (much heralded!) stuff of legend. A poker players astuteness... to call it a canny signing is ridiculously glib by this point.

Before I get accused of counting my chickens: long may a promising, and great, and promisingly great, reign between the pair continue!

So what were your first thoughts? Instinctive? Or Considered? What did you know?

My thoughts now, of course, are beyond homo-erotic. Up The Albion! Here's To The Gus Bus!! :bhasign: :amex: :D

My thoughts then were much as they are now: ambitious young manager, will use us as a stepping stone, won't hang around for long. Fair enough. He's had a much easier job of it than previous managers due to the loosened pursestrings, which lets him bring in players like Greer and Nooney. Inspired signings like Kish are counterbalanced by poor signings like Holroyd. Like Dick Knight always said, as long as a manager leaves us in a better state than when they joined, I'm happy. Have to admit to having little affection for the manager. But then again I'm sure the feeling is entirely mutual. As for a future replacement, just seek out a manager who believes in playing passing football. And is maybe less histrionic. No ees complicated.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't really have a favourite for the job, didn't really have a great knowledge of who was possible or what I wanted, so when Gus was announced I didn't really have an opinion, more of a wait and see.

I do remember after his first two games the guy on the radio (who were constantly defending booker and white) asking if all the people who had criticised the decision to sack slade would come on an apologise. I thought at the time that it was a little soon. We beat southampton in a new manager's debut match (debut matches frequently going that way) and wycombe in a replay (a team we'd already beaten with slade), and that even if Gus proved to be a success, it wouldn't mean firing slade was necessarily right, just that it worked out well. (I also wondered if the guys on the phone in would admit the were wrong about booker and white, but they didn't).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was really chuffed - mainly cos he was no.2 at Spurs and had been about at a massive prem club. I also took the fact he was a very famous player as a positive as people would start to sit up and take notice of us - even the plastics know who Poyet is!

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
If i'm honest 'Oh i wanted the Scunthorpe manager & Crosby as his number two'

Egg firmly on face!

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
I was excited, especially after reading more about him and his achievements as coach on the 'net. Thought it was a great appointment to get us noticed again, but excited by the FLAIRness of it all. Was genuinely surprised when me sister texted me and said "it's Poyet. Oh dear."

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was gutted to see the back of Slade, but excited by the prospect of Poyet. Fickle eh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here