Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Thoughts When We First Signed Gus?

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
What were they, huh?! What was the very first thing you thought?

I confess mine was of mild disappointment, tinged with mildly optimistic intrigue. I, like many others maybe, had thought that Jim Gannon was the hot ticket.

Perhaps this shows my knowledge of football wasn't absolute! Perhaps it was natural to the unknown ability of Gus as number one. I didn't refer to his time at Leeds, and his almost Ray Wilkins-like hidden effect upon the Leeds team and set-up, that revealed itself when he left.

I remembered his time there later, and the less revealing time spent at Tottenham, when the dialogue began here about his ability.

Well what a f***ing turn-up for the books it has been. It has proven part of building the status and foresight of Chairman Bloom into the (much heralded!) stuff of legend. A poker players astuteness... to call it a canny signing is ridiculously glib by this point.

Before I get accused of counting my chickens: long may a promising, and great, and promisingly great, reign between the pair continue!

So what were your first thoughts? Instinctive? Or Considered? What did you know?

My thoughts now, of course, are beyond homo-erotic. Up The Albion! Here's To The Gus Bus!! :bhasign: :amex: :D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought it was a bit of a gamble but given the chairman hardly a surprise !

I think he sold himself very well at the interview as clearly as stat Gannon was the favourite but I suspect TB wanted someone different as clearly he had a vision and so far a fantastic appointment.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
I seem to recall wanting Coppell back at the time. I do not think I was best pleased with the appointment, and thought it was the wrong decision. I am delighted to be proven totally wrong. I wouldn't swap our gustavo for anyone right now. With the exception of Mourinho maybe.

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
This is not blurred hindsight but at the time I thought 'FANTASTIC!!'. One of my mates reminded me of this the other day.
Always loved his effort and enthusiasm as a player and he always came accross as honest and intelligent in interviews.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Not even Mourinho personally! They both, however, have a great sense of humour.

This is not blurred hindsight but at the time I thought 'FANTASTIC!!'. One of my mates reminded me of this the other day.
Always loved his effort and enthusiasm as a player and he always came accross as honest and intelligent in interviews.

I knew that some of you guys existed, but i suspect you were in the minority. I was on my way to being sold by the time I left the (2-0?) victory in the cup over... (Swindon? f*** my memory is shit) with a gus t-shirt and the happy memories of a win and a bennett screamer!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
As some of the 'names' ruled themselves out, I was getting pretty annoyed but when I learned about Gus I punched the air and said "get in".

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
A couple of thoughts. Firstly, brave and sensible decision by Mr B.

Secondly, how many exciting managerial appointments we have had for a club of our stature, roughly in this order.

1. Clough 1973
2. Mullery 1976
3. Poyet 2009
4. Taylor 2001
5. Brady 1993
6. Adams 1999.

That doesn't refer to the success they had with us, because neither Clough nor Brady did anything of real note, of course, but flair names and high fliers all.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Brilliant player that was going to be a crap manager. Lacking in experience. Signed up because he was a 'name.' A clown. No evidence that he would be able to make a difference. Will be gone before a year. Will get us relegated. Out of his depth.

Then again, he could be a Mullery!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
A couple of thoughts. Firstly, brave and sensible decision by Mr B.

Secondly, how many exciting managerial appointments we have had for a club of our stature, roughly in this order.

1. Clough 1973
2. Mullery 1976
3. Poyet 2009
4. Taylor 2001
5. Brady 1993
6. Adams 1999.

That doesn't refer to the success they had with us, because neither Clough nor Brady did anything of real note, of course, but flair names and high fliers all.
how did you leave the other taylor out :wrong:

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
What were they, huh?! What was the very first thing you thought?

I confess mine was of mild disappointment, tinged with mildly optimistic intrigue. I, like many others maybe, had thought that Jim Gannon was the hot ticket.

Perhaps this shows my knowledge of football wasn't absolute! Perhaps it was natural to the unknown ability of Gus as number one. I didn't refer to his time at Leeds, and his almost Ray Wilkins-like hidden effect upon the Leeds team and set-up, that revealed itself when he left.

I remembered his time there later, and the less revealing time spent at Tottenham, when the dialogue began here about his ability.

Well what a f***ing turn-up for the books it has been. It has proven part of building the status and foresight of Chairman Bloom into the (much heralded!) stuff of legend. A poker players astuteness... to call it a canny signing is ridiculously glib by this point.

Before I get accused of counting my chickens: long may a promising, and great, and promisingly great, reign between the pair continue!

So what were your first thoughts? Instinctive? Or Considered? What did you know?

My thoughts now, of course, are beyond homo-erotic. Up The Albion! Here's To The Gus Bus!! :bhasign: :amex: :D

Sorry to be pedantic, but Gannon was favourite for the job after Adams left, instead it went to Slade of course.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Sorry to be pedantic, but Gannon was favourite for the job after Adams left, instead it went to Slade of course.

I don't think you're sorry at all! But fair point, I've mixed my memories. I had other more vague reasons no doubt for not being thrilled... I wanted a third term for Adams perhaps!?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hardly a surprise that it came off you mean.

Bloom is often touted as one of the biggest and most successful sports gamblers in the country, the bloke seriously knows his onions.

I meant hardly a surprise he took a gamble not necessarily whether it would pay off

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
immediate thoughts where ....oh my god we are going places....and quickly plonked 60 squids on winning the league for this season.

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here