Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your starting XI with Adam Lallana in the squad

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
That’s all I can think of too, he won’t be quick enough to play out wide anymore, he’s probably not good enough to play behind the striker, I see him more of an upgrade on Dale, probably coming on for last 20min to help sure up a game if we are winning. Actually the more I think about it the more I’m not that sold on his signing. Is he a match winner? Not now, is he good enough to be the creator? No don’t think he is in he premier league now. Has he the pace to unlock a defence? No. He would of been a great signing if we had of gotten relegated, but as it is Lallana is probably a sub to bring on at the end to try and hold the match.

Oh Dear Another bum signing

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In terms of the difference he can make to our side, his best position will be in the midfield three, rather than the forward three.

He's essentially a Groß / Mooy upgrade, rather than a Trossard upgrade.

I would not be at all surprised to see him positioned at the base of the midfield, controlling tempo.

No way as deep as base of the midfield. Much more likely in the position MacAllister played in at Burnley. In the hole, fairly central

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
No, he was a high goal scoring attacking midfield player in Holland. He has a fantastic touch and vision and in my view would be a more attacking option than propper.

I am not good at 'formations' but I know a good player when I see one. Shoving Ali J out on the wing is only slightly less stupid than shoving Murray out on the wing (and I've witnessed both).

My main maveric pick was Alzate on left midfield. That's probably a step too far. Overall however we have a fluid squad now and can switch it hugely during a game so it would make better sense to 'suggest three good line-ups'. We do not have a 'starting eleven' that is the same for every game any more. That's loser thinking :wink:.

I agree. If we've learned anything, it's that GP does not have or want a 'best team.' It's all about flexibility, and, especially if the five subs rule continues next season, then a starting X! is just that - the team that plays the first 30 or 45 minutes.

Someone with Lallana's experience and versatility will be a key player, either in being able to change his role if we need to switch formations during a game or as a substitute. Bissouma, Alzate, Maupay, Burn, Bernardo, Lamptey, Mooy and Trossard have all shown that they can play out of position - or what some people might consider their normal positions - and I think we will see a lot more of that. .

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Ryan
White - Webster - Dunk
Lamptey - Bissouma - Alzate - March
Lallana
Connolly- Maupay​

I'd go with that too, based on what we currently have.

HOWEVER, I believe that we'll go for a better left sided wing back than Solly, and would Biss and Alzate be physically strong enough in the middle?

It does show, that we're not a million miles off having a VERY good starting 11

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ryan

White Dunk Webster

Lamptey Alzate Bissouma New Bloke

Lallana.

Maupay New Bloke

Subs

Walton
Burn
Montoya
Trossard
Connolly
Propper
Molumby

In this 18 neither Gross or Mooy are included nor is Murray we suddenly look a lot stronger as a club and confirms my previous thoughts that we re going the right way. I think if TB can find enough money to make some signings that improve the team rather than the squad we can really kick on next season. (Probably relegated by Christmas now I've said that out loud)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
(New Signing)
Lamptey Dunk White Bernardo
Lallana Bissouma Propper
Trossard Maupay (New Signing)

Subs
Ryan; Webster, Burn; Stephens, Alzate; Connolly, (New Signing)

Working on the assumption that Jahanbakhsh, Gross and Duffy are being sold. I'd add March to the outgoings list and look to bring in a good left back to challenge Bernardo. We need some additional creativity in the front line, a proper winger to compliment and cover Trossard.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ryan

White Dunk Webster

Lamptey Alzate Bissouma New Bloke

Lallana.

Maupay New Bloke

Subs

Walton
Burn
Montoya
Trossard
Connolly
Propper
Molumby

In this 18 neither Gross or Mooy are included nor is Murray we suddenly look a lot stronger as a club and confirms my previous thoughts that we re going the right way. I think if TB can find enough money to make some signings that improve the team rather than the squad we can really kick on next season. (Probably relegated by Christmas now I've said that out loud)

You can imagine that starting to look more like a genuine mid/lower-mid Prem club who can play quick attacking football and start to show some distance in quality from the bottom 3/5 etc.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That’s all I can think of too, he won’t be quick enough to play out wide anymore, he’s probably not good enough to play behind the striker, I see him more of an upgrade on Dale, probably coming on for last 20min to help sure up a game if we are winning. Actually the more I think about it the more I’m not that sold on his signing. Is he a match winner? Not now, is he good enough to be the creator? No don’t think he is in he premier league now. Has he the pace to unlock a defence? No. He would of been a great signing if we had of gotten relegated, but as it is Lallana is probably a sub to bring on at the end to try and hold the match.

I'm going to join in on the chorus disagreeing with you. Lallana is extremely creative, and that will see him play across many positions in midfield. While I like the sound of him playing deep midfield, I'd rather he was played higher up the pitch, and ideally in the formation and with the personnel identified by [MENTION=3018]Peter Grummit[/MENTION] (see post 57).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Think this is key moving forward. We don't really need more players, just a couple of better players.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Aaron Mooy is a completely different player to Adam Lallana at Huddersfield Mooy was better playing deeper I still think he's one of our better players. Bissouma Mooy and Lallana would be a very creative midfield 3 and perhaps Ben White in CDM infront of Dunk and Webster would provide the defensive cover if needed.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I'd go with that too, based on what we currently have.

HOWEVER, I believe that we'll go for a better left sided wing back than Solly, and would Biss and Alzate be physically strong enough in the middle?

It does show, that we're not a million miles off having a VERY good starting 11

I definitely think we need a new left wing back. But with our current squad I’d start Solly there over say Bernardo or Burn.

You are right to point out those two positions as they are, even with Stephens, two positions we need to strengthen (centre midfield, left back/ wing back).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I definitely think we need a new left wing back. But with our current squad I’d start Solly there over say Bernardo or Burn.

You are right to point out those two positions as they are, even with Stephens, two positions we need to strengthen (centre midfield, left back/ wing back).

Assuming we mostly play a midfield 3 next season we do have...

Lallana
Biss
Mooy
Stephens
Propper
Gross
Alzate
Mac
Molumby
Baluta
White
Sanders
Richards
Jenks
(probably someone i've forgotten)

So we might need to shift a few before we see any great incomings in that postion.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Assuming we mostly play a midfield 3 next season we do have...

Lallana
Biss
Mooy
Stephens
Propper
Gross
Alzate
Mac
Molumby
Baluta
White
Sanders
Richards
Jenks
(probably someone i've forgotten)

So we might need to shift a few before we see any great incomings in that postion.

I think Gross will be moved on and possibly Propper. Both good servants to the club in their own right. The young lads like Jenks, Richards and Sanders will go out on loan too I would have thought.

Whilst I think Stephens has been pretty decent since the restart, I still think we need an out and out defensive midfielder. Maybe we already have one in the likes of Baluta... who knows :shrug: I’m rather excited to see what pre-season brings though :D

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think Gross will be moved on and possibly Propper. Both good servants to the club in their own right. The young lads like Jenks, Richards and Sanders will go out on loan too I would have thought.

Whilst I think Stephens has been pretty decent since the restart, I still think we need an out and out defensive midfielder. Maybe we already have one in the likes of Baluta... who knows :shrug: I’m rather excited to see what pre-season brings though :D

It's very exciting, can't wait for next season.
Interested to see what we do with Sanders. It wasn't long ago he was the golden boy but we've progressed so rapidly over the last few seasons. Given a new contract and 22 in January so there must be some kind of plan....
You'd think Molumby is going to be given a very decent opportunity to impress in pre season.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry if I have missed a post on this,

I understand Ben White was on loan to LU until the end of the play offs - has he been released early by LU ?

In any other way, when is he likely to become available for selection ?

Seems he has possibly been in Spain with other LU players - any potential ramifications from that if true ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sorry if I have missed a post on this,

I understand Ben White was on loan to LU until the end of the play offs - has he been released early by LU ?

In any other way, when is he likely to become available for selection ?

Seems he has possibly been in Spain with other LU players - any potential ramifications from that if true ?
Sunburn.

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
This although I think we will be looking for a left back who can double up as a wide attacking threat like Lamptey

5de268a3359ab66a6e23e2b02e3ede9e.jpg
My god what a lineup. Couldn't agree more!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here