Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your next flight........hopefully with updates as time goes by.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No plans as yet but somewhere in the sun next winter sounds attractive. I hate the long winter and what it does to my old bones, a couple of weeks of recharging sounds like a plan

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Without wishing to be a Grinch about this, I hope that over the lockdown period, many people have had the opportunity to reflect on how easily and carelessly most of us used to travel around the world for something as selfish as a "good break in the sun". And having done that will commit to taking fewer flights, or none. And as a minimum look at ways to genuinely offset the damage done by flying if we do fly.

Whilst I appreciate your view I will not be taking your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
03rd April Gatwick - Gran Canaria, don't think it will be happening.......

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Without wishing to be a Grinch about this, I hope that over the lockdown period, many people have had the opportunity to reflect on how easily and carelessly most of us used to travel around the world for something as selfish as a "good break in the sun". And having done that will commit to taking fewer flights, or none. And as a minimum look at ways to genuinely offset the damage done by flying if we do fly.

As a point of interest how much flying did you do in a year prior to covid. Would I be right in thinking very little?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
As a point of interest how much flying did you do in a year prior to covid. Would I be right in thinking very little?

None. We had planned a flight to Portugal in 2019 for a long weekend and we cancelled that. We went to Cornwall instead. I can't see us flying again for leisure (my wife is gutted, but supportive).

I have flown tens of 1000's of miles over the years (and lived in Borneo, Saudi and Jordan at times) but knowing what we now know about the damage that flying does to the planet, I can't justify it simply because I fancy a bit of sunshine or to see something interesting close up and personal. I knew my post wouldn't be popular but I felt the need to post anyway because it's the right thing to do. I'm not judging others, but maybe hoping to prick a few consciences.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Easter - Heathrow to Antigua But wifey not keen until we have all been vaccinated which is good in a way

August - Gatwick to Crete - more likely!

We actually have a trip in may booked to le touquet with 20 blokes to play golf through the tunnel( not a flight obs) still not 100% sure it will go ahead either

Have two short trips to Berlin and Prague planned in June for gigs. Am so unceratin about if they'll even happen that I've yet to book flights/accommodation, but will leave that until a month or so beforehand if this part of the world starts trending towards opening up again.

Also have a two week break in Slovenia for a music festival at end of July/start of August planned. Slightly more optimistic about that as it's capped at 20k people, so nowhere near the size, setup or logistics of something like Glastonbury needed. Having said that, it's really too soon to tell.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Seeing the amount of flying you’ve done compared to me in my 51 years on this planet I’ll sleep even easier tonight [emoji106]

But we know the impact now don't we. And knowing that, I have changed my behaviour. Just out of interest, do you have kids?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not even trying to offset?

Offsetting isn't real - the carbon is still pumped out regardless of how many trees the airline plant. It's a gimmack to make people feel better - like HT and his 'zero carbon footprint' :facepalm:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
But we know the impact now don't we. And knowing that, I have changed my behaviour. Just out of interest, do you have kids?

Ahhh I see, so you by the sounds of it have done your travels, have seen many parts of the world that I can only dream of getting too and now you’re telling me I should feel guilty if I even think of flying, I think you’re being a tad selfish.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
None. We had planned a flight to Portugal in 2019 for a long weekend and we cancelled that. We went to Cornwall instead. I can't see us flying again for leisure (my wife is gutted, but supportive).

I have flown tens of 1000's of miles over the years (and lived in Borneo, Saudi and Jordan at times) but knowing what we now know about the damage that flying does to the planet, I can't justify it simply because I fancy a bit of sunshine or to see something interesting close up and personal. I knew my post wouldn't be popular but I felt the need to post anyway because it's the right thing to do. I'm not judging others, but maybe hoping to prick a few consciences.

It won’t influence me as I don’t fly that often and when I do it’s either long haul or short haul business, but of course you are entitled to your reasonable opinion.

I won’t be giving up my long haul winter holidays for any other reason than health or finances though

I do have kids and grandkids and a holiday abroad is (was) a highlight of their year too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here