• 1962 - Chilie - Winners Brazil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dominique Rochteau, Didier Six and Jean Tigana might beg to differ. They had a great side that got to the semi in the WC just 2 years beforehand.

Well clearly they had some other good players, as did Argentina in 86. Platini scored NINE goals in FIVE games in 84. However good the others were, there's no way they'd have won it without him.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
France 98 for me as it was the year I finish University and I didn't start work until after the world cup finished so I saw every game that was broadcast on TV, all of which in the pub. Great Month spent continuously pissed.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
1978 for me....Scotland v Peru :lolol: Kempes:thumbsup: Fixed game Argies v Peru???

Although 1970 Pele etc was the first I remember ...and I enjoyed the great Holland team of 74 (bloody Germans:annoyed:)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
1978 was the first one I remember.

Scotland losing 3-1 to Peru, and drawing 1-1 with Iran, before inexplicably beating Holland 3-2.

Argentina losing to Italy. West Germany being pretty shite. Brazil scoring with bending free-kicks. Ramon Quiroga throwing the game against Argentina.

And Poland finishing third. Again.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Top thread! :thumbsup:

The first World Cup I can remember was USA 94. Famous for Hristo Stoichkov, Bebeto and Romario and their 'cradle' goal celebration. And of course cheering of EIRE in the absence of England. The final was one of the most boring games EVER between Brazil and Italy.

My favourite World Cup therefore has to be France 98. With the emergence of Beckham and Owen as world beaters. THAT goal from Bergkamp against the Argies. And the way France beat the World, including Brazil!! :clap:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
1982 was MINT.

That group with Brazil, Argentina and Italy was electrifying, the suprise package were the Poles. That incredible semi final between the Germans and the French - Battiston and Schumacher. Robson's 30 second goal, Northern Ireland beating Spain, Austria and West Germany in the most obvious case of match fixing ever and Arab protests.

You had Socrates, Zoff, Zico, Maradona, Platini, Tigana, Rumminige, Rossi, Boniek .

Brilliant

diegobel_stevepowell.jpg

075chumacDM_468x634.jpg

tardelli.jpg

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
1990 was the first I remember (obviously). Would go for that, although I was far more in to 2002.

1994 did have a certain hilarity to it though...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
1990 as it was the first time I followed England to a tournament.

Getting to the semi-final was an amazing achievement and the whole experiance was fanatstic (if a little hair raising at times!)

I nearly got sacked from work as well, I phoned my boss before the Belgium game in Bologna and told him I wouldnt be back until we got knocked out! The trip last quite a few more days.

Pictures can be found at

England Away: World Cup 1990 in Italy

Interesting to see most the flags are Union Jacks.

Mexico 86 for me + Maradona

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Got to be 1990 for me as had the countless stories that make football the great game it is

Started with Milla ensuring Cameroon defeated the defending champions
Gazza and the tears
Lineker looking every bit a world class striker
Voller and the Germans
Platts last minute goal against Belgium
Penalties
Schillachi

Brings a warm feeling to my heart just thinking about it and will take some beating to see a better tournament in my lifetime

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Got to be 1990 for me as had the countless stories that make football the great game it is

Started with Milla ensuring Cameroon defeated the defending champions
Gazza and the tears
Lineker looking every bit a world class striker
Voller and the Germans
Platts last minute goal against Belgium
Penalties
Schillachi

Brings a warm feeling to my heart just thinking about it and will take some beating to see a better tournament in my lifetime

I just can't see the infatuation with Italia 90. Yes, it was brilliant from an England perpective, but it was won by a poor Germany side in a shite final and I don't remember many brilliant games, Argentina Cameroon being the exception. People keep talking about the stories? What were they? It totally lacked goals too. There have been far bettr tounaments IMO. Anyone else agree?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
1982 was MINT.

I'm sure it's an age thing because I remember it being mint too. A couple of other highlights, Brazil 2-3 Italy and Marco Tardelli's celebration after scoring.

However, I do thing people expect a lot more from WCs these days actually. Would we put up with the lack of GK backpass rule (it cost Scotland a chance of progressing against Uruguay, or was that 1986?), the fact that final first round group games were staged so that Algeria were left watching as Germany & Austria cheated their way through, or the daft 3 team second round robins which meant Spain had nothing to play for when we played them etc.

I loved WC 82 as 10 y.o kid but WCs these days really are different gravy these days when you think about it. More teams, better rules, more games, and better players across more nations.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I just can't see the infatuation with Italia 90. Yes, it was brilliant from an England perpective, but it was won by a poor Germany side in a shite final and I don't remember many brilliant games, Argentina Cameroon being the exception. People keep talking about the stories? What were they? It totally lacked goals too. There have been far bettr tounaments IMO. Anyone else agree?
I do, as I've already said. It really was an average tournament compared to pretty much all the others since 1966.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I don't think goals alone can be used as a yardstick as to how great a tournament is and there were some great games in 1990 especially in the knockout stages

What made it great is aside from England being there we also had Scotland and Rep Ireland as well. You had Cameroon coming from nowhere to finally ensure African football had arrived on the world stage. There were some great characters in the competition as well with Voller, Milla, Gazza, Schillachi.

It was an open tournament and the feeling at the time was anyone could have won it (even a shite German side!)

Obviously Englands progress helped but I can't remember another world cup when there seemed to be as much interest as 1990. Suppose people look for different things in the tournaments and for me 1990 had everything I love about the game in it .............and a passion from and England side I have not seen since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here