Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your most hated Mispronounced/Misused word?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
People saying "who" when they mean "whom". I also dislike "no one" being written as "noone".

D

Deleted member 18477

The word 'whatever'.

Northern twats who can't say 'bath' and words a like the southern way.

The phrase 'to be honest' at the start of every sentence. You don't say 'to be lying I think Bla bla...' f***ing idiots!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Or people using 'hung' when they mean 'hanged.'

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I'll tell you what bloody annoys me. Bloody northerners who are gradually ruining our language because a whole generation of kids will grow up thinking it really is right to say "yooze" when they mean "you".

Are yooze comin down t' pub later?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Wouldn't that be MotM unless "man of match" is pwoppa English

My thoughts exactly. Yet most of the player rating threads on NSC have people banging on about who was their 'mom'.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
It annoys me when people say that two things are similar by saying "it's the same difference", when it is quite obvious that what they are comparing are totally different

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What really gets me at the moment is the phrase......"I'm loving". As in. I am loving the show.

keitho54

Oct 9, 2003
'Can I get....' as in "Can I get a cappuccino?"

No you can't! The server/waiter will do that!

Let's go back to "May I have.."

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
His and he's :censored:

And these.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331579919.470174.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When people say 'compared to' rather than 'compared with'.

Depends on the sense: both are correct but according to Strunk & White and Fowler, 'compared to' is used to draw attention to similarities while 'compared with' is to draw attention to difference. However, that's a rather old-fashioned distinction and both are generally accepted as correct.

Two that annoy me: I've just finished subbing a 5000 word piece, excising all uses of the word 'solution' meaning product and inserting 'direct' when the writer has written 'directly' - wrongly in every case. "I can buy direct from the wholesalers, cutting out the middleman" "I need to pick up some supplies, I'll go to the wholesalers directly"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At this moment in time...

But haitch instead of aitch is now the norm, that's depressing. I've even heard teachers using it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here