Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your most hated Mispronounced/Misused word?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
People who pronounce it 'stationery' when they mean 'stationary,' and vice versa.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Like. As in every sentence an under 18 year old speaks

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Free instead of Three
Fink instead of Think

I can't make my mouth sound different between free and three, and fink and think. Thor and four cause a problem also. No matter how hard I try I really can't do it. I blame growing up in a pub.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
'Stonewall penalty.'

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
The way some people have to say 'like' after every other word :facepalm:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
English people that live/lived in Scotland and say "aye" instead of "yes", especially in a home counties accent.

Estate agents that say "per calendar month" rather than "per month"

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
The need to use the work 'BASICALLY'

... usually used preceding anything but a basic explanation of something. :annoyed:

SCRAPEgoat instead of scapegoat. Also heard the rather amusing ESCAPEgoat used recently. :lolol:

My worst has to be tenderhooks though. It's TENTERhooks goddamnit! :rant:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I can't make my mouth sound different between free and three, and fink and think. Thor and four cause a problem also. No matter how hard I try I really can't do it. I blame growing up in a pub.

No worries. Took me into my thirties, and help of a school teacher, before I could pronounce 'threads' correctly. Obviously, blame my Chinese ancestory, as that sound does not exist in Cantonese or Mandarin!

the misuse of the word oblivious. He was oblivious to the problems in Syria - used on Radio 4 this morning.

It means to have forgotten, it is used in place of the word ignorant.

Everytime I hear it I literally want to explode.....you know - literally into a ball of flames or somethink

I'd surmise from that, that you are oblivious to the correct use of 'oblivious'.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
I can't be ARSKED to do that... I could ask you, but you might not be arsed.

I have an Itouch... no you don't, you have an Ipod Touch.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
I enjoy people accidentally using mixed metaphors. Bloke in the office used to do it all the time: "keep that under your chest" or "keep that close to your hat" being the examples that come to mind. It was then pointed out ot me that I often say "your treading on thin ground" a lot. Oh dear.

This!!! My old boss couldn't go an hour without coming out with a mixed metaphor - the main one being "dont cut your nose off to spite your throat?!" what the hell does that mean?!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This!!! My old boss couldn't go an hour without coming out with a mixed metaphor - the main one being "dont cut your nose off to spite your throat?!" what the hell does that mean?!

Did you used to work at Sunshine Desserts?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Americans who cannot say the word "aluminium".

This!!!!!!!

People who start a sentence with "with all due respect" annoys me, it's as if they know they're going to say something which will annoy or tell me I'm doing something wrong, but by using that phrase they've already apologised so I can't say anything back.

The good old wrong use of there, their and they're is one that particularly pisses me off, I went through my facebook the other day and corrected everyones grammar for them. Took a while.

omgitsjames

Nov 24, 2011
California
and etc. et cetera already means "and other things" so there is no need to put an 'and' before it. and also i hate it when people call it ECT instead of ETC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here