Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your most hated Mispronounced/Misused word?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Literally or quite literally

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
'Begs the question' is one that is misused far more than it is used correctly. It often spoils otherwise articulate posts on NSC. It does not mean 'to raise the question.'
Beg The Question // Get it right.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The overuse of the word "sorry" - I would estimate that in at least 90% of the cases where it is used, the user is actually sorry for precisely f*** all and is using it as an empty platitude.

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
All of the above. I'll also throw in Americans pronouncing Herbs as "erbs". Makes me want to vomit through my nose.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is 'a historic day' better English than 'an historic day'?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've got a girl in my department who does not understand simple grammar. I've forgotten how many times I have told her: "You'll! Not 'YOUR'! As in 'You'll have to learn this before I kick you' not 'Your have to learn this before I kick you'"

The girl drives me mental.

Another fella, also in my department, consistently says "I done this" or "They writ in".

I'm surrounded by cretins. On the plus side, as their manager, I have standing order in place which is that if I catch them abusing the English language they have to go and make me a cup of tea.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
All of the above. I'll also throw in Americans pronouncing Herbs as "erbs". Makes me want to vomit through my nose.

spot on! gets on my nerves, but it does wind yanks up when you call there 31st president "erbert oover" as a come back.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Red Fascists thread mentions giving someone the 'wide birth.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here