Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your most hated Mispronounced/Misused word?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
So many people i know say... "he come over"' instead of "he came over" arrgghhhh

The american pronunciation of SEMI

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
The problem is in today's youth they are bombarded with so much TV from Australia, America and alike that our use of the English language has become simplified. The influence is so great our own expansive and expressive use of our wonderful language is in danger of being lost. The dumbing down of pronunciation in the last few decades has led to many being unable to spell. Speak properly and you have an understanding of how the word is constructed.

Not knowing how to form words such as free or three is unbelievable. Example of simple teachings that help are Bring Brought, Buy Bought. So many allow these to pass them by.

The mass explosion of texting over the last decade hasn't helped either. It's a lazy, quick form of communication... Gone are the days where a kid actuallys writes a letter... I bet half of them would not even know where to write their address.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Right....

1. People who say 'drawing' with an 'r' in the middle.
2. People who say 'Oh........ my......... God' when you tell them something unremarkable.
3. People who say 'Oh........ Em......... Gee' when you tell them something unremarkable.
4. People who inflect upwards at the end of every sentence (like the Autralians) as if EVERYTHING they are saying is a question
5. 'Less than 5 items'. NO, its 'fewer' than five items. F*ckt*rds.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Obviously people who start or end a sentence with the word obviously.

The use of the term The Withdean to describe Withdean/The Withdean Stadium.

Goods being 'Sauced' - as opposed to being found or bought (& don't start me on frigging 'Shipping Charges' to describe postage & packing).

Oh, and anybody who starts every sentence they utter with the word 'Listen' should be permanently ball-gagged.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Oh, and while I'm on, without wanting to give anything away, I work for a well known American Company in Brighton (yes, yes, you all know the one), and the amount of words they simply make up is staggering.

The latest one is 'ideation' - the act of having an idea. I'll post some more later as I come across them again - there's way too many to remember.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Americans who cannot say the word "aluminium".

Or oregano (oredge-ano) or Parmesan (parmeshaaarrrn) or Chablis (Charbleee) or Basil (bayzil) or Anna (for some reason Arna?)... There are loads of them but I am too wound up by it that I can't remember any more at the moment.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The amount of players on the pitch.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Right....

1. People who say 'drawing' with an 'r' in the middle.
2. People who say 'Oh........ my......... God' when you tell them something unremarkable.
3. People who say 'Oh........ Em......... Gee' when you tell them something unremarkable.
4. People who inflect upwards at the end of every sentence (like the Autralians) as if EVERYTHING they are saying is a question
5. 'Less than 5 items'. NO, its 'fewer' than five items. F*ckt*rds.

Australians who start their reply to any question with 'Look'. As is....'Look, I thought we bowled well today' or 'Look, I can't comment on that' .....aaarrrggghhhhhh Shane Warne and Pricky Ponting are the worst

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
I enjoy people accidentally using mixed metaphors. Bloke in the office used to do it all the time: "keep that under your chest" or "keep that close to your hat" being the examples that come to mind. It was then pointed out ot me that I often say "your treading on thin ground" a lot. Oh dear.

A guy who worked for us was the same. We called them Sadlerisms and over 10 years produced pages of them. These are my particular favourites.
"I'll have to check the holiday rooster"
"if you live 5minutes from your house, that's okay"
"she's as deaf as a bat"
"I haven't got time to swing a cat"
"on a scale of 1 to 10, that's a definate B"
"they should make an escape goat out of him"
"I wouldn't trust an Alsatian in the heat, they can turn of sixpence"
"I got soaked last night, the rain came down like steroids"
"sorry,I went off on a tandem"
"they made a right cock's ear of it"
And the classic....
"if somebody new takes over, they won't break what isn't fixed"

If anyone found these funny I have got loads more....

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Them ones I stead of those ones.

Or the general substitution of them for those.

For example. "I'll take one of them please. "

"Will you? Sure you would t rather have one of those?"

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's very difficult to criticise "Americanisms" - as much as I dislike them, the language they are talking is not the Queens English as such, and has influences from all the other languages that the US is made up of, especially Spannish. However, ones that particularly wind me up are "Thunk" and "Dove", plus top of the list, when they say "acclimate" instead of "acclimatise".

For people who speak "proper" English, obviously the misuse of your/you're or their/there are big offenders.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
A guy who worked for us was the same. We called them Sadlerisms and over 10 years produced pages of them. These are my particular favourites.
"I'll have to check the holiday rooster"
"if you live 5minutes from your house, that's okay"
"she's as deaf as a bat"
"I haven't got time to swing a cat"
"on a scale of 1 to 10, that's a definate B"
"they should make an escape goat out of him"
"I wouldn't trust an Alsatian in the heat, they can turn of sixpence"
"I got soaked last night, the rain came down like steroids"
"sorry,I went off on a tandem"
"they made a right cock's ear of it"
And the classic....
"if somebody new takes over, they won't break what isn't fixed"

If anyone found these funny I have got loads more....

More, more!

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
For people who speak "proper" English, obviously the misuse of your/you're or their/there are big offenders.

I know what you mean. Falmer was terrible with those.

By coincidence, so was Rosa.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
"We/They was" instead of "We/They were"

The inability to differentiate between - their, there and they're

Similarly - your and you're

And - his and he's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here