Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your memories of Brighton & Hove Albion v Crystal Palace.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Tuesday 2nd April 1985, a 1-1 draw, attendance 8,025 - Henry Hughton breaks Gerry Ryan's leg, the snap could be heard all round the ground, the Palace fans laughed and it destroyed Gerry's career. From that moment on.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Tuesday 2nd April 1985, a 1-1 draw, attendance 8,025 - Henry Hughton breaks Gerry Ryan's leg, the snap could be heard all round the ground, the Palace fans laughed and it destroyed Gerry's career. From that moment on.
And gave HH a standing ovation leaving the pitch after being sent off .
Just realized that was the last match I actually saw the Albion at that shit heap

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
The 5-0 drubbing. My mate, ESIC once of this parish was so smashed when we arrived he'd lost his ticket. Palace steward was very sympathetic and let us in anyway, if he finished his beer. Then kettled after and we got home about 9pm. "Lovely" day. On another occasion, the play-off first leg, I'd been out for a very very large lunch and was wankered. @Simster threw an inflatable seagull from our "box" and it was tense with our neighbours. I lost our group (they probably lost me) and when I eventually found a very large taxi queue said next door box neighbours recognised the albion fan. Thought I was in for a pasting but they took me to the front of the queue and insisted that the taxi company give me the next cab. I have never shared the palace hatred since that day. I have a suspicion, nothing more, that @Lady Whistledown @Stumpy Tim and others were there, I really have limited recollection

Last edited:

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Our 4-1 battering of them at the Amex last season was pretty decent

For me though, the Knockaert top bins away win is unbeatable

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
The 3-1 at home playing against 10 men with Andone's goal really stands out. And one that hasn't been mentioned. 1987 we beat them 2-0 at the Goldstone in front of a few over 10,000. They were pushing for the playoffs and we were bottom of the table. Knocked them out of playoff contention. Stood in the East for a change for that one. I don't think any of us expected to win that, but their Goldstone hoodoo was in full force. Hove Park was fun afterwards too.

My two trips to Selhurst for Brighton v Palace games are an absolutely perfect pair, and i dont want to sully their dovetailing synchronicity by attending another - there was the 5-0 defeat, the first games in bloody aaaaages and much anticipated, and about as miserable an afternoon as i can imagine - the game, the goals, the effort from the players, the tannoy prick, the kettling in the streets afterwards, the convoluted and ridiculous journey home, the whole day was a steaming heap of shite.

but then by contrast the joy and the sheer exhilaration of a late winner and a 0-1 win for the albion on a tuesday night! I was on the barriers between the fans, the last row, and i saw the flag raised for the disallowed last minute 'equalising' goal really early - so i could turn and watch the palace fans as their paroxysms of celebration slowly turned into despair and resignation.
Beautiful.
Wish i could relive the last fifteen minutes of that game, itll appear in my memories as one of the highlights of my life, in all honesty. Not only happiness and celebration, but the opportunity to drink in other people's despair at fairly close range. Christ, i could almost knock one out over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here