Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your memories of Brighton & Hove Albion v Crystal Palace.

papachris

View attachment 174325View attachment 174326

Before 'trouble'. I was standing very close to the Palarse contingent on the NE terrace.

A couple of years later, my brother and I were caught by a mob of the divs throwing stones at us on the Croydon back streets, after a police stewarding debacle. And the stage was set....
I remember those prices.
View attachment 174325View attachment 174326

Before 'trouble'. I was standing very close to the Palarse contingent on the NE terrace.

A couple of years later, my brother and I were caught by a mob of the divs throwing stones at us on the Croydon back streets, after a police stewarding debacle. And the stage was set....
Those prices! I started going to the goldstone around this time. A few months after I started a certain Mr P.Ward made his first team debut. The rest is history :)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My worst memory is my first visit to the Amex in 2011. The only game I ever left early when Murray got their 3rd! FFS.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
5 penalties in one game. Would have gone on for hours with VAR.
But so much more enjoyable without VAR. Ive even found listening to other PL games on radio annoying. Goal announced then it isnt, is, isnt, might be, dont know lets have a hands up in studio oh ok yeah just announced it is/isnt. Im finding im falling out of love with the game less beautiful solely for that reason i dont even celebrate goals half the time and then delayed celebration nah ...bring back 5 pens and no VAR anyday please...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Remember in the Potter lockdown game where we missed what felt like a million chances and they got that last minute winner just switching everything off and going and sitting in the car to cut myself off from everything for about 10 minutes, that was how furious I felt.

Thank f*** we weren’t there.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I remember at one game late 70s early 80s at their ground I was held by 2 OBs and taken to the OB hut. They deemed that my shoes were offensive weapons and I had a choice of taking them off or getting thrown out of the ground. In the hut the desk OB gave a look of WTF when I took my shoes off and put them in with the bovver boots already there. As it was raining I had to find crisp packets to put on my feet. I must say the Golden Wonder bags were really helpful in keeping my feet dry. Other crisp bags manufacturers were also available.
I do hope the Golden Wonder crisp bags weren’t cheese and onion flavoured. Your feet would have been honking! :lolol:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Late 70s game at the Goldstone when Peter Taylor was playing for Palace. Forgot the score but 0-0 I think.
The 2-2 first FA cup replay before the Ron Challis 2nd replay.
The Boxing Day massacre when Peter Ward ran them ragged and we won 3-0.
The horrendous Hughton leg breaking challenge on Gerry Ryan ( RIP) 1-1 Danny Wilson with the equaliser.
The Andone 3-1. I’ve never gone as bat shit mental as when Andone scored that goal just before half time. Largely due to the fact that at that point Palace were putting our ten men under pressure and a goal back would have completely changed the game. The full pitch length run by Andone and the terrible Palace defending.
Was also at the 5-0 mauling at Selhurst but I’ve tried to block that one out of my memory!

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The horrendous Hughton leg breaking challenge on Gerry Ryan
The man is an animal.

EnSI6mj.gif

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
My 1st was back in August 1974, there were running battles in the north stand all game.
Best away game was a 3 - 0 win at theirs in april 81.
In more recent times, the st Patrick's day massacre and the 2 - 1 win at theirs spring to mind.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I was over for that game (from Copenhagen) , as I recall Peter Grummit played a blinder.

Worse memory was a few years later my friends had got me a ticket and I came over but it got snowed off.....
I can't remember a Palace game being called off for snow. Saying that I remember staying with my cousin in London (late 70s) and I was waiting for my brother at Victoria Station to come up from Dover for a midweek match but he had to turn back on the train as it was delayed by heavy snow and was about 3-4 hours late and had no chance to get to the game. I managed to get to the ground just before half time and got in for free sitting in the seats.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
My first memory of Palace was John Jackson the Palace keeper who lived in Hangleton giving a relative tickets for game against Man Utd. I as a boy was taken to see this game my first in top division. It was a dream come true as Utd scored 4 with goals from Best Law and Charlton.
Seen several Albion games there but the one that stands out was a game when Palace outplayed us all game and Ward scored a last minute winner.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I reckon I must have seen 3 home games versus the Scum at the Goldstone, but to confess don’t really remember much about any of them.

The two I do remember clearly are the two times I went to Selhurst. The 0-5 kettling, and the 1-0 McShane game. Totally contrasting experiences, but both have stuck in my memory - one for being among the worst match experiences of my life, in fact, THE worst, and another for the unbridled joy and sense of payback SCENES when McShane put it in the net.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I can't remember a Palace game being called off for snow. Saying that I remember staying with my cousin in London (late 70s) and I was waiting for my brother at Victoria Station to come up from Dover for a midweek match but he had to turn back on the train as it was delayed by heavy snow and was about 3-4 hours late and had no chance to get to the game. I managed to get to the ground just before half time and got in for free sitting in the seats.
It wasn't called off for snow, but the FA Cup 1st round 2nd replay (held at Stamford Bridge) was due to be played on Monday November 29 1976. Heavy rain caused a postponement until the following day but the unrelenting weather meant that it was eventually played a week later on Monday December 6.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Having my silk tie-on-your-wrist Albion scarf ripped off by a Palace fan who had infiltrated the East Terrace.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Brighton v Crystal Pace Easter 1984. We won 3-0.

My 9 year old, eldest son was the mascot having been selected at his school ( only one mascot in those days ). Jimmy Case looked after him as my wife and I sat on the managers bench ( Chris Cattlin) whilst the players warmed up before kick-off. Chocolate Easter eggs were given to a few in the crowd by all the players, but Jimmy Case kept the biggest one for my son....Happy days...Ha ha.....and proud too.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
From the lowest of lows at that 5-0 in 2002, when at the end of the match I shouted in the direction of Gary Hart that they were an utter shambles (still feel guilty about it), to the highest of highs beating them 1-0 at Selhurst in Oct 2005. That 2005 game was insanity, not sure I've felt such a high at football and made all the more sweeter with that offside flag in injury time. Maybe the Sheff Wed playoff game came close.

Ohhhh and that Andone goal, f***ing amazing. 😁

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’ll never forget that dreadful feeling towards the end of that 5-0 drubbing or the play off defeat. I don’t think it will ever fully disappear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here