Votes: 14 14.3%

Votes: 21 21.4%

Votes: 5 5.1%

Votes: 6 6.1%

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Only remember the England V Argentina match from 86.

Wasn't really a football nut until Italia 90.

Was living in Donegal at the time and the Ireland V England match got me hooked on the game.

SHEEDY!!!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Dandyman

In London village.
and just for the Albas, who remembers this ?

"The 1966-1967 British Home Championship was the first since England's victory at the World Cup 1966. Naturally, England were favourites for the Championship title. In the end, the outcome of the entire Championship rested on the final game: England v Scotland at Wembley Stadium in London on April 15. If England won or drew, they would win the Championship; if Scotland won, they would triumph. Scotland beat the World Cup winners 3-2. The match was followed by a large, but relatively harmless, pitch invasion by the jubliant Scottish fans, who were quick to jokingly declare Scotland the 'World Champions'."

My 4th birthday and I had Scots grandparents !

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I do seem to remember watching a game or two of the last one in bed somewhere ;) it was the first one I was interested in really....:cool:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1986 was the first one I really bothered with, I was 15 then. Late nights and crackly commentry, a catchy theme tune on ITV (Azteca Dream), Saint & Greavsie, and the huge shadow of the tannoy system curiously suspended over the centre of the pitch. Odd chats with Bobby and the players at half time in the other games
("so what do you make of the Belgians so far Bobby ?")
("sorry, whats that ? balloons ? Yes.")

Loved it.

Though 9 I was bonkers about football and can remember key games, including the England matches,the scandals. And the now forgotten, Ramsey cock up of not allowing his players to sun bathe. Which meant they did not get climatise to the hot sun.

What a ****.

Bonetti the cat being well a useless ^^^^.

Charlton being taken off too early.

Aspell hitting a sitter againgst the post. And didn't we have a goal disallowed againgst Germany?

Also saw the1966 Final in Colour at the Duke of Yorks. Excellent but I don't how how old I was?

LC

Dandyman

In London village.
Not my first Cup but another memory - Myself and Seagulls Return watching Italia '90 in a bar on a tiny Greek island with the Brits and Dutch in one corner and the Germans in another. :cool:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
London Calling said:
Also saw the1966 Final in Colour at the Duke of Yorks. Excellent but I don't how how old I was?

LC
Well the color feature film ("Goal!") came out in 1966 after the World Cup so you could have seen it then. Mind you it's obviously done the rounds a bit since then so you may have seen it later.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Man of Harveys said:
But Argentina in 1978 was the first one that registered really, all that ticker tape.

Likewise. I was only 9, but the scenes when the teams came out for the final remain in my mind to this day.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I also got the Subbuteo World Cup Edition for Xmas that year, with an England team, a Brazil team, an Italy team and my very own miniature Jules Rimet Trophy...

Marvellous scenes.

:bowdown:

Last edited:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I would have been 3 for the 1990 world cup, but the 1st world cup I remember watching was 1998.:clap:

Dandyman

In London village.
GermanShepherd said:
our first was 1954, then 1974 and then 1990...

oohps, wrong answer...:lolol:

my first was 1978, i was 7 then

Damn you and your Teutonic efficiency ! :D

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
I was too young to follow 1990. 1994 was the first one I watched- the first game I remember seeing was Ireland beating Italy.

0c1b2kw.jpg

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
John Boy said:
I was too young to follow 1990. 1994 was the first one I watched- the first game I remember seeing was Ireland beating Italy.

0c1b2kw.jpg

I dread to think the amount of people who have had to SUFFER you going on about that since...:rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton

Was at a Scout event at Withdean for the Mexico quarter final (think Brovian was there too) and heard of Charlton's 30 yard cracker on the radio.

Watched the semi final and final on black and white TV with my dad at our bungalow in Mile Oak .... happy days

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Can remember the 78 World Cup, staying up late to listen to the Scotland games on the radio, have very vague recollections of the one in 74 and seeing a report from it at a neighbours house, but I was only 9 at the time.

Best was Italia 90, last time we had a really good chance of winning it, the Germans, Argentinans and Italians were also in superb form so it made for a very interesting competition. I managed to be off work sick for the whole competition so am pretty sure that I hardly missed a match on the box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here