Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite movie of the 70's

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The best (unknown) film of the 1970's in my book must be The Duellists from 1977

Ridley Scotts debut film as a Director and one of the most beautiful looking films ever, based on a short story by Jospeh Conrad about two French Cavalry officers who spend 15 years fighting one another in increasingly savage and bloody duels over - well watch the film to see the cause of it all.

A bit strange to have Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel as Napoleonic era French Cavalrymen (although Keitel in particular is magnificent as the borderline psychotic Feraud). The supporting cast is, however, an incredible list of British Thesps: Albert Finney, Edward Fox, Tom Conti, Liz Smith, Pete Postethwaite, Alun Armstrong etc..

Amazing to think it was made on a budget of less than half a milion pounds when you watch it.

I will admit that while it still delights me to this day, many people have said it is a rather cold and brittle tale which hasn't really got anything to say except some people fight because they want to and some fight because they have to.....

The enemies of reason have a certain blind look don't you think?

General Feraud has made occasional attempts to kill me. That does not give him the right to claim my acquaintance

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The bestest Bond films were made in the 70s. Live and Let Die, The man with the Golden Gun, For your eyes only.

...and another favourite is The Medusa Touch starring Richard Burton. God, that man could act.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
TheWarriors_1979_Movie_Poster.jpg

Which much later inspired one of my favourite PS2 games using the same actors for voiceovers:

clownboy.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here