Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite movie of the 70's

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:D

Nice one. You've written off 4 decades off cinema across the entire SMORGASBORD of film genres but I'm the one who made a "silly comment". Righto. :dunce:

Whatever. You just stick to Charlie Chaplin and Doris Day then.

(Do I win £5 pounds for the use of the word "smorgasbord", even if I don't how it's spelt?)

Jeeze, didn't take you long to find a new adversary ! :D

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
:D

Nice one. You've written off 4 decades off cinema across the entire SMORGASBORD of film genres but I'm the one who made a "silly comment". Righto. :dunce:

Whatever. You just stick to Charlie Chaplin and Doris Day then.

The 4 decades of cinema before then were of better quality. Yes, the snuff house comment was silly. It was a put down and you know it. So incidentally was Car Wash's comment. If someone doesn't think the same, they have to have the mickey taken out of them for being different eh?
Not everyone likes realistic films. Films used to be escapist entertainment. I even found Lord of the Rings too gory.
For the record I watch little tv nowadays as soaps have got too 'realistic' now.
We have Sky movies just for Ned. I don't watch them and I find cinemas too noisy and intrusive. If there is a decent film (not movie - that's an American word) out then I wait until it comes out on tv. That way I can leave the room if it gets too much.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The 4 decades of cinema before then were of better quality. Yes, the snuff house comment was silly. It was a put down and you know it. So incidentally was Car Wash's comment. If someone doesn't think the same, they have to have the mickey taken out of them for being different eh?
Not everyone likes realistic films. Films used to be escapist entertainment. I even found Lord of the Rings too gory.
For the record I watch little tv nowadays as soaps have got too 'realistic' now.
We have Sky movies just for Ned. I don't watch them and I find cinemas too noisy and intrusive. If there is a decent film (not movie - that's an American word) out then I wait until it comes out on tv. That way I can leave the room if it gets too much.

To be fair though virtually none of the films mentioned were either gory or that violent. Apocalypse Now and the Dear Hunter were far less bloody than say, Hamburger Hill and the Godfather was not either. The plain truth is that whilst there are a lot of films like Saw and so on about there can be little doubt about their content.

You look at the films like Terminator not to mention Star Wars and so on and I think you'll find all the escapism you could ever need without the saccharine of the likes of The Wizard of Oz.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

To take US's list as a guide; of those 50 films, 28 are blood and gore free. And that's probably not a representative list, I suspect that, given the demographic, horror films are over-represented in it.

It does seem a bit harsh to write off a whole decade of film making because of a few gory films.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It was the Godfather that put me off going again. I wanted to run out the cinema and my ex husband wouldn't let me. That's another issue.

I did go very occasionally with my kids and saw Star Wars and Grease but the cinema became a place where I only went for the sake of the kids and not every week like I used to do previously.
Maybe as a woman I am more sensitive and I know men like action stuff. Ned does. It doesn't follow that I should be ridiculed for thinking differently.
Not every film prior to the 70's was like the Wizard of Oz either. Some Hitchcock films were very well made and had good storylines.
Why can't a subject be discussed without extremes on Nsc? There are many grey shades of opinion but somehow things just become polarised. There again I suppose bored people just want a bit of 'humour'

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I don't like films with blood and gore. It isn't entertainment to me. Unfortunately that seemed to take the place of a good storyline and script.
Why did I know it was you who would make a silly comment? :rolleyes:

I did as well...didn't mean to offend..

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
And you were mentioned in a later post.
Did that really bother you..I edited to apologise but am stunned that it seems to have made you grumpy. I mean its not like making anal comments about Croydon is it...

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bored people ? No, you have been derided because you made a sweeping statement that doesn't have much basis in fact that's all. Don't think you can play the Female sensitivity card either as I doubt that you speak for the majority of females who post here.

The person with no sense of humour is you as you snapped back at Simster's obvious joke.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you're being a bit precious, Yorkie!

To me, you seem to be suggesting that cinema has been crap ever since The Godfather was released! Which is not unlike saying football is crap because you once went to Millwall v Leeds with 4,000 others and it finished 0-0 and everybody else in the ground was a thug.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think you're being a bit precious, Yorkie!

To me, you seem to be suggesting that cinema has been crap ever since The Godfather was released! Which is not unlike saying football is crap because you once went to Millwall v Leeds with 4,000 others and it finished 0-0 and everybody else in the ground was a thug.

Where have I said that? I said I stopped going in the 70's. I didn't say everyone else had to stop going or that their views should be the same as mine.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Did that really bother you..I edited to apologise but am stunned that it seems to have made you grumpy. I mean its not like making anal comments about Croydon is it...

No it didn't make me grumpy. I feel grumpy today for an entirely different reason.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Back to topic:

Apart from many obvious titles, how about these?

Duel
Chinatown
Annie Hall
Manhattan
Dog Day Afternoon
Kes
McCabe And Mrs Miller
10 Rillington Place (just bought the special edition of this)
Deliverance
Cabaret (Hitler youth singing scene especially stunning)
The Poseidon Adventure
The Towering Inferno
Frenzy
The Sting
Sleuth
Don't Look Now
Papillion
The Exorcist
Amarcord
The Conversation
Mean Streets
The King of Comedy