Star Wars (obviously)
Dirty Harry
Apocalypse Now

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
brian-of-nazareth.jpg

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
All The Presidents Men is a bit of a favourite.
Godfathers I and II, Blazing Saddles - The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker as well.

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
Certainly NOT Apocalypse Now - watched it again yesterday, the Redux version: admittedly it looks fantastic, amongst the best looking films of all time. but it's also terminally boring. and it has Dennis Hopper in it.

my vote would go to Alien everytime - a true classic: one of the few films i can watch again and again.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Gotta feeling I'm opening myself up to ridicule here, but even still to this day, one of my favourite films....

dvd_grease_us.jpg

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes to; All the Presidents Men
Godfather 1 & 2
Jaws
Grease (and still a great musical to go see)
& I quite liked Exorcist at the time.Bit tame these godless days.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think we need a poll

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was a good decade Apocalypse Now and Godfather II stand out for me.

But there others too: the first Godfather, Taxi Driver (surprised no-one's mentioned that) and Scorsese's first, Mean Streets. There's also another Coppola film, The Conversation, that's not as well known as the others but is really excellent. I also love Badlands, Terence Malick's first film - a minor masterpiece. I'm also surprised no-one's mentioned Get Carter.

The 70s was also a great decade for European cinema. Fassbinder's Marriage of Maria Braun, Fellini's Amarcord and, another long-time favourite, Wenders' The American Friend are well worth watching as is anything by Tarkovsky, particularly Solaris.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
All the predictable widely regarded classics in that list, but it kinda feels like those are the ones you are "supposed" to think were the best. Which were your favourite films actually during the 1970's?

I was 14 when the 70's ended so most of those films didn't come into my experience.

I do remember Jaws vividly and would put that as my personal number one.

I also recall "Waterloo" with Rod Steiger (I think) from the early 70's. Epic movie and left a lasting impression.

Have since come to appreciate the commonly regarded classics, but I'd say those are my two favourites "of" the 1970's - as opposed to "from" the 1970's.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
It was a good decade Apocalypse Now and Godfather II stand out for me.

But there others too: the first Godfather, Taxi Driver (surprised no-one's mentioned that) and Scorsese's first, Mean Streets. There's also another Coppola film, The Conversation, that's not as well known as the others but is really excellent. I also love Badlands, Terence Malick's first film - a minor masterpiece. I'm also surprised no-one's mentioned Get Carter.

The 70s was also a great decade for European cinema. Fassbinder's Marriage of Maria Braun, Fellini's Amarcord and, another long-time favourite, Wenders' The American Friend are well worth watching as is anything by Tarkovsky, particularly Solaris.

Some good choices there. The Conversation is a classic. Not as "epic" as The Godfather or Apocalypse Now, but just as riveting.

Terrence Malick's second film Days of Heaven is nearly as good as, and even more beautifully shot than, Badlands.

I'd also add Deliverance to that list.

And my three favourite 70s comedies: Woody Allen's Love and Death, Young Frankenstein, and National Lampoon's Animal House.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Westworld or Logan's Run for me

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
All the predictable widely regarded classics in that list, but it kinda feels like those are the ones you are "supposed" to think were the best. Which were your favourite films actually during the 1970's?

I also recall "Waterloo" with Rod Steiger (I think) from the early 70's. Epic movie and left a lasting impression.

I have fond memories of seeing that with my dad while on holiday in Bournemouth in 1971 (yes it was Rod Steiger as Napoleon; Christopher Plummer was Wellington). It was probably the first "epic" (as opposed to kid's movie) I'd seen on the big screen, and like you it made a huge impression on me. However, seeing it again on a small telly years later took all the romance and drama out of it.

My favourite film during the 70s was probably the last one I saw in the 70s: Apocalypse Now. Anyone who missed that on the big screen missed a treat (even the slow parts drag less in widescreen). As for the old Original/Redux debate, I don't think the Redux adds much (apart from gratuitous nudity, which is never a bad thing) - I still think the original is way better.

Does the Blues Brothers count as a '70s' movie? Technically it was made in 1979, even though it wasn't released in the UK until 1980...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here