Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite journey

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My 2 for The Downs are:-

Southdowns Way north of Whiteways Arundel, looking down on Houghton and Amberly.

I do that both ways to/from work regularly, still in Sussex, I went to Newhaven via Lewes, as you come over the hill the view is stunning.

A favourite drive of mine is going to Spa Francorchamps, aside the scenery getting better by the miles once past Brussels, the excitement build, as we near the circuit.

Only done it a few times but southern France through the alps to Italy is wonderful, Grenoble to Turin.

The views through the blue mountains to Bathurst from Sydney is a good one too.

Sadly regular reality is Lancing and worthing in a traffic jam.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I do that both ways to/from work regularly, still in Sussex, I went to Newhaven via Lewes, as you come over the hill the view is stunning.

A favourite drive of mine is going to Spa Francorchamps, aside the scenery getting better by the miles once past Brussels, the excitement build, as we near the circuit.

Only done it a few times but southern France through the alps to Italy is wonderful, Grenoble to Turin.

The views through the blue mountains to Bathurst from Sydney is a good one too.

Sadly regular reality is Lancing and worthing in a traffic jam.

Yup, I'd echo the Bathurst to Sydney through the Blue Mountains except I got caught for speeding and fined,on the spot. 1998 and something like 60 dollars if I remember correctly. :facepalm:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yeah funnily enough, I had a look after i posted that and realised that I must have got a bit muddled. I only made that trip once, and I realsied I had a memory of the train going up from Birmingham to Shrewsbury before going into Wales, so yeah it would have been strange if it then suddenly turned north up to Snowdonia. But either way it went through some stunning scenery.

Yep, It's actually quite different to the view you get from the road, definitely better from the rail.

Agreed - the drive to my nearest beach takes me through Snowdonia National Park, the scenery changes almost gradually, the hills get bigger/higher until you suddenly realise they have become rugged mountains that you are now driving between - almost takes your breath away that the UK has such scenic roads.

Assuming you're talking about Barmouth, I just drove a little part of your journey, off to the Co-op passed through Dinas Mawddwy on to Dolgellau, the view as you pass through Bwlch yr Oerddrws. Bettered by my trip to Bala Co-op which takes you over Bwlch Y Groes, from where you can see Snowdon among others - If you can spare 20 mins on your way back next time you go, go via Bwlch Y Groes and Vyrnwy, it's magic. Don't tell many others though! It's single track...

My final favourite was the Transpeak bus route from Derby to Manchester, I used to be a regular in my late teens/early 20s, (around 1990) it's a stunning route.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Macclesfield to Buxton over the Cat & Fiddle Pass. Famous for being very similar to the Mountain section of the Isle of Man (and as lethal). Cat & Fiddle car park would have hundreds of Bikes there of a a Lunchtime.

One lunatic on a horribly tatty ported & piped 350LC would wait for you climbing out of Macc, give you a five minute start and then try and beat you to the Pub (always succeeded with me - I have never come close to knee scraping on public roads!). :mad:

Eventually the Cheshire/Derbyshire Constabularies got fed up of prising the remains of people off dry stone walls and have now infested it with Speed Cameras.

Certainly makes the A272 to Winchester rather tame by comparison...

NB a typical Cat & Fiddle accident, too much speed on a tight bend, bloody lucky for him and the cars occupants that it wasn't a head-on. He survived by the way, Darwin doesn't always triumph!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjB9fszqXDI

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
North Korea ten years ago was a pretty special trip. Not sure if it was the most entertaining trip but easily the most fascinating.

First travel abroad, to Fuerteventura, turned out pretty wild... I bought some hashish the first day I came and after that, the Morrocans I bought it from was extorting me to buy more of all kinds of shiet and I hade to play a bit of hide-and-seek with them. I remember walking on the beach of Corralejo, smoking by pipe and wondering what the hell I was going to do. When I ran into them in a night club things looked like it could end up pretty bad but a couple of Finnish blokes saved the situation and drived me to the house they rented where I celebrated christmas with lots of vodka, weed and cocaine. Stressful, but fun and exciting trip.

Favorite must be Agadir though. Very, very boring city but in the February when I was there, the waves were absolutely massive and at that point (would change later when I was almost eaten by currents when bathing in Greece) I had pretty much no respect for the ocean and would spend hours playing in those massive waves. Very fun and probably my favorite trip despite not doing but much else than sleeping and swimming.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Yep, It's actually quite different to the view you get from the road, definitely better from the rail.

Assuming you're talking about Barmouth, I just drove a little part of your journey, off to the Co-op passed through Dinas Mawddwy on to Dolgellau, the view as you pass through Bwlch yr Oerddrws. Bettered by my trip to Bala Co-op which takes you over Bwlch Y Groes, from where you can see Snowdon among others - If you can spare 20 mins on your way back next time you go, go via Bwlch Y Groes and Vyrnwy, it's magic. Don't tell many others though! It's single track...

My final favourite was the Transpeak bus route from Derby to Manchester, I used to be a regular in my late teens/early 20s, (around 1990) it's a stunning route.

I drove the section from Bala to Lake Vyrnwy via Rhos-y-gwaliau yesterday morning. There can’t be many more beautiful roads than this. The Autumn colours were amazing. I didn’t encounter any other cars either.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That’s very kind Mr Zefarelly, but I’ve never heard anyone say Newhaven is stunning before. :D

It was the hill hiding Newhaven that did it ;-)

Newhaven is stunning in places, there are different kinds of stun :lolol:

The view from the FOrt is a good one, North and south

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
A rickety train journey from Cape Town hugging the coast to Simon's Town (about halfway to Cape Point) was definitely my most memorable train journey.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
In this country a train journey i took in my youth from Carlisle via the settle line , late afternoon sun going down , i just had time to visit a fish and chip shop and an offie for take aways before the journey !
Abroad a train / bus journey from Cusco to Maccu Piccu , the lost city of the incas , a place i had always dreamed of visiting . You know how sometimes the build up and expectation is let down by the actual experience ? well not in this case , it was bloody superb !

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I drove the section from Bala to Lake Vyrnwy via Rhos-y-gwaliau yesterday morning. There can’t be many more beautiful roads than this. The Autumn colours were amazing. I didn’t encounter any other cars either.

Awesome! I've only done it once - Coming back from Shrewsbury and our exit from Vyrnwy (the Dinas Mawddwy road) was closed but it was a lovely surprise. You shouldn't see too many people, there is almost literally no-one who would need to use it!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sailing the Atlantic for 5 weeks from St Lucia to Dartmouth.

25 days round the Annapurna Circuit in the Himalayas..

2 month cycle tour round NZs South Island.

The drive across Kent and Sussex from Faversham to the Amex. A bespoke route that has evolved over ten years. Absolutely love it.

If you use the A26 I could give you a wave.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Driving from Rome to Turin. Was a work trip but had two days to make our way up. Was with that rare beast, a colleague who is both stunning looking and brilliant company.
Great weather, great food and two days in an Alfa Romeo going through the Italian countryside.

I also like the train journey to Cornwall and the one to Penrith.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here