Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite journey

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Most of the canal holidays I’ve been on…forget the car (once you are at the boatyard)…a fairly tranquil lifestyle for a week or so ..gently moving through the countryside or sometimes past a football ground …mooring up close to a pub etc
One of my favourites would be the Llangollen Canal with the pontcysyllte aqueduct

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
1) Backpacking through Italy by train from Venice to Rome via Florence. Yes, I know they're obvious and touristy but Florence and Rome are two of my favourite cities ever (it probably helps loving proper Italian food, wine and history). You can keep Venice though - overpriced, smelly and I got lost. So leaving Venice at the start of our journey down was great.

2) Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto and then a guided walk round Gion including part of the evening in a Geisha bar. Again Kyoto is an amazing city but just being on a bullet train was fantastic. Incredible engineering, excellent service and never even a minute late.

3) Locally, running the Beachy Head marathon. The Downs at their best, a couple of my favourite villages (and stocked high with chocolate and sausage rolls to keep you going) and the Seven Sisters (actually that bit is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life so it's the sense of achievement as much as the view that's a favourite in my mind).

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I always used to enjoy the train journey from Exeter to Paignton, going along the sea wall at Dawlish & Teignmouth. Happy memories of family holidays.

It is a great line and similar to my best.

The drive from Warwick down to my mum’s who still lives in the village where I grew up in the 80s. Once past Bristol it is just rocking off places with so many memories. Drive past Weston, down towards Taunton and lots of cricket fun, done the steep hill and passing the welcome to Devon sign. Reaching Exeter. Going past the orange elephant now advertising ice cream that was a happy eater slide when I was a kid. Up haldon hill. Past chudleigh who I played some hockey for. Dartmoor now on your right as you tick off places. Newton abbot. Totnes etc. Then turn off into “the maze” as my kids call the Devon lanes. I just love it.

Yes I do want to end up retiring back in Devon.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The final few miles of a drive to a French ski resort we visited 11 times when our kids were younger, Puy St Vincent. Driving up the hairpins, the resort buildings and guaranteed snowy peaks come into view ….. making a very excited family.

[I could also say the same about a load of other mountains and ski villages …. but how long have we got? :)].

The Cuckmere Valley, either the drive in from Seaford or East Dean, when the amazing river meanders and oxe-bow lakes become visible.

I used to commute from Peacehaven to Langney and often stopped on the way home to admire that view.
Took some photos too but no idea where they went :(

As for snowy mountains, nice to look at but too cold for me to go there.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
A long time ago a friend of mine was living in Aberystwyth and I visted them by train. Changing in Birmingham, the train the travelled across north wales before cutting down through Snowdonia. The scenery from the train on the last part of the journey was spectacular.

In more recent years while travelling by train to visit a friend in Totnes, the stretch of track as you get to Dawlish is amazing. It runs right next to the sea, and is a really beautiful view.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Most of the canal holidays I’ve been on…forget the car (once you are at the boatyard)…a fairly tranquil lifestyle for a week or so ..gently moving through the countryside or sometimes past a football ground …mooring up close to a pub etc
One of my favourites would be the Llangollen Canal with the pontcysyllte aqueduct

I once hitched a lift on the Llangollen, including over the Pontcysyllte - one of the slower journeys! But as you say, pretty wonderful.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The road trip along The Amalfi coast from Sorrento to Positano and Ravello, simply stunning, we've done it 3 times and love it.
:cool:

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Whilst serving in Germany / RAF, I regularly drove artics to Sardinia, travelling through some stunning scenery.
(For the pedants, from Marseilles I was on a ferry until arriving at Sardinia).

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
A long time ago a friend of mine was living in Aberystwyth and I visted them by train. Changing in Birmingham, the train the travelled across north wales before cutting down through Snowdonia. The scenery from the train on the last part of the journey was spectacular.

In more recent years while travelling by train to visit a friend in Totnes, the stretch of track as you get to Dawlish is amazing. It runs right next to the sea, and is a really beautiful view.

I think the passing of time has muddled your memory a bit! The Birmingham to Aber train doesn't go in to North Wales, it passes a few miles south of Snowdonia. The Welshpool - Machynlleth leg is very scenic though and then down the coast to Aber. Lovely.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
5 days skiing in Valle Nevado in Chile, 3 days in Santiago and finishing with a Pisco Sour in Café Brighton in Valparaiso.

Santiago and Valparaiso were amazing and Chileans are some of the friendliest and most optimistic people I have ever met. Only regret was not getting to Easter Island, too far away and not enough time

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think the passing of time has muddled your memory a bit! The Birmingham to Aber train doesn't go in to North Wales, it passes a few miles south of Snowdonia. The Welshpool - Machynlleth leg is very scenic though and then down the coast to Aber. Lovely.

Yeah funnily enough, I had a look after i posted that and realised that I must have got a bit muddled. I only made that trip once, and I realsied I had a memory of the train going up from Birmingham to Shrewsbury before going into Wales, so yeah it would have been strange if it then suddenly turned north up to Snowdonia. But either way it went through some stunning scenery.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My 2 for The Downs are:-

Southdowns Way north of Whiteways Arundel, looking down on Houghton and Amberly.

And of course

The Edburton Rd, West to east.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Long Furlong? If so I use to love that drive when I lived in that area.

I love walking into Brighton through the North Laine area on a sunny Saturday.

Most OT journey was with my young family on first visit to Venice when we got a speedboat, Bond style, from the airport to the city. Magical. (Actually it was not much more than the cost of the ferry as there were 5 of us).

Yes, the Long Furlong.
It featured in an episode of 'Porridge' once. (They pretended it was in Scotland!)

Yes, Long Furlong.

I did mean to name it in my post

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I love the drive from our house through mid Wales and the Snowdonia National Park to the North coast of Wales, the scenery is second to none. As a road to drive, I love the A467 from Risca to Brynmawr, roof down late at night.

Agreed - the drive to my nearest beach takes me through Snowdonia National Park, the scenery changes almost gradually, the hills get bigger/higher until you suddenly realise they have become rugged mountains that you are now driving between - almost takes your breath away that the UK has such scenic roads.

Good call - I've been over the "Ponty" at least 6 or 8 times now. The Llangollen is very pretty as canals go but it's uphill [against the current] from Chirk to Llangollen which makes for some interesting navigation / helmsmanship. The "Shroppie" [Shropshire Union Canal] is also a delight on the eye and some very pleasant stopovers for eats and drinks. Narrow-boating is a splendid detox for the hustle & bustle of busy life.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agreed - the drive to my nearest beach takes me through Snowdonia National Park, the scenery changes almost gradually, the hills get bigger/higher until you suddenly realise they have become rugged mountains that you are now driving between - almost takes your breath away that the UK has such scenic roads.

Good call - I've been over the "Ponty" at least 6 or 8 times now. The Llangollen is very pretty as canals go but it's uphill [against the current] from Chirk to Llangollen which makes for some interesting navigation / helmsmanship. The "Shroppie" [Shropshire Union Canal] is also a delight on the eye and some very pleasant stopovers for eats and drinks. Narrow-boating is a splendid detox for the hustle & bustle of busy life.

Yes the Shroppie is nice ..one of my favs .., I’ve been on most when I was younger ..The Cheshire Ring gave me quite a surreal moment ..going underneath a skyscraper and passing Old Trafford football ground on The Rochdale Canal and half an hour later deep into countryside on The Bridgewater

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here