Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

your favourite film this year ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Uncle Spielberg said:
So you have formed and posted an opinion without actually seeing it ?. ???

Erm, yes.
You know before you see something whether you'll like it or not. Generally speaking. There are very few surprises left. When they come along, it's incredibly special.
But, i know i won't like a Ron Howard film just as i know i won't like a Girls Aloud single without hearing it. Far & Away. The Paper. BACKDRAFT!! Apollo 13. A Beautiful Mind. How many do you want me to see before i don't have to see any more?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Meade's_Ball said:
But you can judge it by its author, surely.
Not always.
I thought some of Kubricks films sucked. Eyes Wide Shut was pretencious garbage, and 2001 bored me to death. But Full Metal Jacket was marvellous, and The Shining was a masterpiece.

Not sure he'll ever top Starship Troopers either.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Not always.
I thought some of Kubricks films sucked. Eyes Wide Shut was pretencious garbage, and 2001 bored me to death. But Full Metal Jacket was marvellous, and The Shining was a masterpiece.

Not sure he'll ever top Starship Troopers either.

Yeah i agree. Apart from the Starship Troppers bit. :)
There'll be some people that hit and miss. But there are others that you just have no respect whatsoever for.

I'm not Kubrick's biggest fan by any means. He's horribly cold and that works well in some films, like the Shining, but fails miserably to capture the right tone in others. But he's always interesting. He was always worth watching, just in case. That was the way Coppola was once and Scorsese. But no more. And Ron Howard will most likely never do that.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I enjoyed crash and war of the worlds was ok. Seen too many films this year but those are the ones that stood out.

Gonna watch Goal tonight which is supposed to be ok.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Meade's_Ball said:
Yeah i agree. Apart from the Starship Troppers bit. :)
There'll be some people that hit and miss. But there are others that you just have no respect whatsoever for.

I'm not Kubrick's biggest fan by any means. He's horribly cold and that works well in some films, like the Shining, but fails miserably to capture the right tone in others. But he's always interesting. He was always worth watching, just in case. That was the way Coppola was once and Scorsese. But no more. And Ron Howard will most likely never do that.

Whenever I watch a Ron Howard movie I can't help but thinking about happy days

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
tinx said:
Whenever I watch a Ron Howard movie I can't help but thinking about happy days

I know what you mean. He also tends to put his brother in each of his films in little cameo roles. His brother played the annoying little boy in Gentle Ben.
I find it all too weird.

Jul 20, 2003
Is it just me or is anyone else expecting Uncle Spielberg to announce that he is 'The Bookie Basher' any second?

anyway

I've caught up on my movies a bit recently and found Sin City to be the pick of the bunch of the recent 'big' releases

overall though my favourite was The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

and 'Chronicles of Riddick' one of the most appauling pieces of shit I've ever seen - and I sat through ALL the Police Academy films

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Sin City was good but not great. Best film I've seen this year though.

Mind you the last film I watched before that was Guess Who so not much competition.

Stumpy Tim

Downfall by a country mile. War of the Worlds was good entertainment, but if you think that's the best film of the year you need to watch more films. It was good Hollyowood, nothing more. Charlie & the Chocolate Factory was the best mainstream film IMO.

The best films this year were art-house films. Downfall & Osama were both awesome - though Osama may have been last year thinking about it.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
That film about Lemony Snicket,was that this year,
And the last Star Wars movie
War of the Worlds was a bit desperate....and hasn't Woking changed?

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
As someone who has worked in the Cinema industry for 30 years

'Sin City' has some of the most mazing cinematography i have ever seen, so for that alone i have to give it the honour of best film ( So Far)

But Watch out the 'Penguins' are coming.

Jul 20, 2003
others for your consideration:

Shaolin Soccer had it's moments

The remake of Amytiville Horror didn't - but then the original was crap too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here