Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite English towns?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Helmsley in N. Yorks, handy for the Moors.

Sidmouth in East Devon, for the Jurassic Coast and all that.

Aldeburgh in Suffolk, best fish n' chips plus Adnams beer.

I hear that the Croydon area is very attractive if you are into caravaning......

D

Deleted User X18H

whitchurch...
Looe
scarborough
bedford
arundel
chichester
tunbridge wells
worthing
skegness
hull , grimsby in order.

My sister has lived in East Looe for ten years now. We must go down there for a least 2 months a year in total. Beautiful place. Soon to be spoilt by a massive Weatherspoons.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Bedford?

We are talking about the one in Bedfordshire presumably?

Hull and Grimsby much have changed a bit as well......

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
QUOTE=ali jenkins;4093910]Lyminster in the new forrest is nice[/QUOTE]

Cant have liked it that much coz its in Littlehampton NOT the new forest:lol:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
While over in England over Easter, I happened to stop in a couple of quaint, little towns which I frankly had barely heard of before - Stamford (Lincs) and Oundle (Northants).

Nice pubs, high streets with some life about them, some original, non-chain shops, plenty of green space. I thought they were bloody lovely.

It struck me that there must be plenty more underrated small town gems out there amongst our fair land.

Care to name any?

What a brilliant way to start a thread. No trip up the Ai is complete without a five mile detour into Stamford. The George Hotel is said to be England's oldest hostelry and still says it all about civilised Englishness.

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
battersea

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Had a brief 6 months in Hereford following an ill advised moment and joining the Air Force. Following training was posted to Stafford so told them to feck off and joined the navy, but always felt that Hereford and its surrounds were quite nice.

Finished training and then just decided to tell the air force to "feck off", now we both know that this doesnt happen , dont we?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Buxton. I liked Buxton.

Great call, spent a night there on a work trip to the north of England, found a very decent curry house. Tewkesbury is a good call by Das Reich, as is Evesham just a few miles from there, Cheltenham (technically a town) is also a very nice place to spend a few hours.

My personal favourite is Alnwick, nice area with some stunning beaches close by, locals were extremely friendly.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
My home town of Lewes is lovely and twee. It's full of liberal sandal wearing people who run their citroen 2cv on mung beans. If you don't like bonfire, harveys or shops that sell hand woven balls of string made out of hemp, then forget it. However, the quaint little twitterns and the the towns history are great along with the 20 or so pubs, countless Asian and European eateries and general chilling out on a weekend afternoon in one of the many beer gardens.

Just don't expect to buy a t-shirt, pair of shorts or shirt for under 5 grand !!!!

On the other hand, both Burgess Hill and Uckfield have a decent array of fast food outlets, decent shops and lots of other things on offer that the snobs of Lewes don't

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Padstow,York,Mudeford( although not really a town),Whitby,Edinburgh(I know it is in Scotland!) to name a few.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shamefully ignorant of most parts of England, but if I had to live in England and didn't live in Brighton, I'm pretty sure I'd live in... Shoreham :thumbsup:

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
My home town of Lewes is lovely and twee. It's full of liberal sandal wearing people who run their citroen 2cv on mung beans. If you don't like bonfire, harveys or shops that sell hand woven balls of string made out of hemp, then forget it. However, the quaint little twitterns and the the towns history are great along with the 20 or so pubs, countless Asian and European eateries and general chilling out on a weekend afternoon in one of the many beer gardens.

Probably the best description of the town I've read, though you forgot to mention that all carrier bags in Lewes must, by law, be knitted out of second hand women's snoods. I REALLY like Lewes as a town, but it's for me it's spoilt by a few holier-than-thou hippies with their heads implanted firmly up their own arseholes.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Probably the best description of the town I've read, though you forgot to mention that all carrier bags in Lewes must, by law, be knitted out of second hand women's snoods. I REALLY like Lewes as a town, but it's for me it's spoilt by a few holier-than-thou hippies with their heads implanted firmly up their own arseholes.

Spot on and if you can find the pubs and eateries that these people don't frequent....and don't mind shopping out of town for your clothes etc. Lewes is a pretty good and crime free place to live.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Weymouth is lovely, In fact the whole stretch of Dorset from Corfe Castle down to there is delightful. Apart from the army ranges!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here