Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite English towns?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Rye obviously, along with places like Southwolde in Suffolk. Also Wells-next-the-sea and Cromer, both in Norfolk.

I always quite liked Shrewsbury actually.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Stamford:
on the accompanied tour, we were told that Goering used to hunt nearby in the 30's and had his sights set on living in Burghley House after the war; consequently the Luftwaffe had a no go area over Stamford... one of the reasons why it is beautifully preserved. Worth going to next year if Posh get promoted!

I just moved from there, but can only recommend you do it

The Northern equivalent imo, is Hexham, about 15 miles from Newcastle near the Sweaty border. Also nice.

In Cumbria, Keswick is lovely, as is the smaller Windermere and Bowness just down the road.

In close proximity, is the lovely town of Arundel - always worth a visit, great little places to eat and shop, flea markets, antique shops, and pubs. Right on the Arundel Lake (which is great to walk around, has the rowing boats in summer - nice for kids), is a rather good and not too expensive restaurant that is bloody good. Not too far to drive to Amberley, with cafe and pub on the river, and easy from there through scenic farmlands to Storrington and Steyning along the Downs.

I've heard good things said of Winchester, Stratford-upon-Avon and Bath - but have yet to visit those hamlets.

We spent last weekend in Bowness, my first visit, but absolutely lovely little town. Bath I lived in as a student and am very much undecided about - as a city it's centre is very nice and picturesque but some of the suburbs are pretty grotty. My parents live in Stratford-upon-Avon and I think it's lovely if you can stand all of the tourists, and always good for a bit of celeb-spotting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ah, the old town/city hot potato.

For the sake of this thread, either are acceptable. As long as they're not massive places, they're all welcome.

Oh, and I agree - Winchester's really quite splendid.
Winchester is absolutely fantastic, although like hkfc, I might be a bit bias. But in actual fact, I would probably say Salisbury is even better.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The finest view of Gillingham is from the rear view mirror.
One thing you musn't miss if you go to Gillingham - the last bus home.
If someone wished to give the world an enema guess where they would stick the tube.

I have worked in the Medway area several times in the last two years, all I can say about it is that it looks a lot better in a thick fog. It's the place that gave us the term 'Chav', go figure.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Rye is just wonderful!!!

best city other than Brighton would be York.

These are the only 3 places I would CHOOSE to live in the UK

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Louth in Lincolnshire is a lovely little Georgian market town with loads of independant shops , & on the edge of the wonderful lincolnshire wolds . tis the place of my birth & would highly recommend it and the surrounding area . Will be moving back down there on 1st june .

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Winchester is absolutely fantastic, although like hkfc, I might be a bit bias. But in actual fact, I would probably say Salisbury is even better.

From spending a couple of days working there I can't say Salisbury Town Centre is much of an evening experience unless you like lager, vomit and a punch-up.

Can I put in a shout for Wetherby? A proper nice little market town and most pubs serve Theakstons or Black Sheep.

Alresford is a pleasant little town as well even if it is in Humpshire.

Louth is in lovely countryside (the Lincolnshire Wolds) has plenty of excellent pubs, an excellent Pub/B&B to stay in called the Masons Arms and is just up the road from one of my favourite motor racing circuits Cadwell Park.

Bugger, just noted someone else likes Louth!

Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Bradford-Upon-Avon is surreal but absolutely lovely - feels like you are driving into a film set...!
Cromer is a lovely, loads of great camping around that neck of the woods too.
Isle of Purbeck for views (I know that's not strictly a town but Swanage is a bit of shithole!!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here