Your Favourite Curry Dish?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Your Favourite Curry Dish?

Lord Bracknell said:
From http://www.menumagazine.co.uk/tikkamasala.html :-

Amit Roy was quite correct to observe that the dish does not hail from India and that it was specifically created to appeal to the British palate by some very astute restaurateurs. This much is not in doubt but when one moves on to the history of the dish, fact becomes fiction and depends on just who one talks to.

No ‘Indian’ chef seems to have produced any real evidence that he or she first invented the dish and it is commonly thought that its invention came about almost by accident. Journalist and restaurateur Iqbal Wahhab claims it was created when a Bangladeshi chef produced a dish of traditional Chicken Tikka only to be asked “where’s my gravy?”. The response was, supposedly, a can of cream of tomato soup and a few spices and the ‘masala’ element was born. Top food writer Charles Campion refers to CTM as “a dish invented in London in the Seventies so that the ignorant could have gravy with their chicken tikka”. Several chefs have made claim to the invention of CTM but none with any evidence or witness support so the mystery will have to remain. The descendents of Sultan Ahmed Ansari, who owned the Taj Mahal in Glasgow claim he invented it in the 1950s but there is no other evidence of the dish at this early date or of the tandoor in Glasgow.

I've never liked sauces on tandoori or tikka chicken. I like to eat marinaded chicken without a load of 'slop' on it.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Chicken Dopiaza !!! LOVE IT!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here