Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite away day

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Seems like old hat but I really used to enjoy Fulham. Had a great day when we all went to March from Victoria up to the old FA offices. Nice part of London, old ground, good terrace (then), good beer, BIG away turnout and TONS of noise. We were played off the park by Micky Adams' team but we had a great day and sang all afternoon.

After a rousing round of "jump around for the Albion" some genius came up with "lie down for the Albion". Classic.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
I like a trip thats f***ing miles from home.

the old Darlington away day was tremendous before they left feethams.

drinking on the train at 8am in the morning - tick.
pint in Kings cross station bar - tick
More beer on a three hour train journey into the middle of nowhere - tick
Cheap pubs and great ale in the town - tick
Wooden shack of an away end (side) - tick
Jammed into a standing area too small for the Albion following - tick

The game when Lee steel scored up there in a 3-1 win was fantastic......

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Crewe,

I love Gresty road, and how close you are to the action. I think the little refreshment hut at the back of the stand is brilliant - the pies are immense! And, the last 2 times we have played there is has been warm and sunny (I even wore a pair of shorts last time).

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Peterborough and Sheffield Wednesday.

Peterborough for the terracing, Sheffield Wednesday is just an inexplicable like.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Here's my selection:

I know the result played a part but Charlton away was just superb. Fabulous lunch with Captain and Mrs Haddock at the Royal Oak (the pub we use for Seagulls over London), the packed away end, the team's great performance, then the crack afterwards with the Brewery Tap regulars, with Dover on good form as usual, seeing an actual dead rat on the pavement and singing in your northern slums, and Palace, here's your lunch, and then going back and finding Albion and Millwall fans had taken over the Kings Head and the alleyway outside it, so another hour and a half of drinks and laughs.

Others that are good:

Norwich - beautiful city with more pubs per head in England than any other city apart from Brighton. Strong family connections here too, and my Albion-supporting London vicar trained here, so another connection. Don't like some of their fans though - never heard so much homophobic chanting.

Shrewsbury - another lovely old town, enjoyed a picnic on the Abbey lawns the time we finished the 2000-01 season there and the old ground had real character. Shame the new ground can really only be reached by road.

Carlisle - wonderful scenery from the train and some interesting architecture in the city. Fans mostly friendly too. Funny thing was though I found Carlisle gave the lie to the idea that most northerners are friendly and us southerners are unfriendly and offhand. I had F and C in a shop in the city centre and because it was busy I had to share a table with these two old grannies. Not once did they greet me, and nor did they reply when I tried to make a friendly remark. All I got was can you pass the salt please. They then banged on to each other about the coach trip they were about to take. If I go to have a beer at the Evening Star and sit on a bench outside, I find within minutes that other people are talking to me. Sorry for the essay, but it's a prejudice that really annoys me.

Huddersfield: Slubbers Arms. Enough said.

Looking forward to trips to Exeter, Rochdale and Notts County for the first time as I've been told they are top days out.

Less good ones: Swindon: horrible place, full of main roads and roundabouts. Prefer to drive to that one and get home again straight afterwards. Membury Services holds greater attraction than most of the pubs.

MK Dons: impressive stadium, despite all the artificial entertainment, but can't stand the town. Pub by the canal was nice though.

Southend: just don't like the place, unfriendly atmosphere around the ground and they seem to want to make you feel unwelcome. Awful view from the away end when you're all standing too. The one good thing was the singing on the train back to London after our 2-0 win (I missed both goals as I couldn't see past the people standing in front of me - never seemed so bad with terracing.

Gillingham: again not a very nice area, and away end a Withdean-style stand that feels like it could fall down. Good laugh calling Chelsea fans johnny come latelys at Victoria on the way back though.

Yeovil: stuck out on an industrial estate, and a stupid ticketing system where you have to queue for a terrace ticket that you then give over at the gate. Why not just take your cash and let you in?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
millwall is always fun

Colchester ( do they still have that small terrace behind the goal?)

Bournemouth is always jolly

favourite ever was Burnley ( cricket club before the game)

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
'Nearby' = ORIENT

'Middle Distance' = PETERBOROUGH

'Far Away' = DARLINGTON or HULL!! (I realise they are a bit left-field, but never fail to have a good laugh in either of those places, plus we normally don't lose :thumbsup:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here