Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Away End Today

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No, of course he's not. But they effectively didn't pay anything for him. Last January, they swapped Torres (£50m) for Carroll (£35m) and Suarez (£18m). I would say none of those players are valued correctly in those deals, but it doesn't matter because Liverpool's outlay was something in the region of £3m and they swapped one underperforming striker for two more effective ones. They did EXCELLENT business.

Suarez cost £22.5million. Liverpool alternatively could have signed someone GOOD for £35m, which would have been even better business.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yes, which means either I'm also a dribbling moron with no social skills and I just can't see it or I'm in the minority of supporters we have with a brain. Whatever the answer, I wouldn't have given any grief to a fabulous player who has been backed by our manager, nor would I have applauded a team that let in six goals. Both are the acts of brainless idiots.

You are one arrogant, self-promoting, insulting, nasty piece of work.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ok then, so they spent £7.5m on upgrading a faltering Torres for one of the EPL's best players and Carroll who, if played in the right system, will be very effective. Carroll is 23 and Suarez is 25. Torres is 28 next month. Carroll and Suarez have both scored more goals in the last year than Torres. Both would still fetch a higher transfer fee if they were sold tomorrow than Torres.

I'm not trying to claim Andy Carroll is a great striker, but surely you have to accept King Kenny did exceptionally well in those particular deals? It's all very well saying they could have bought someone better than Carroll, but you don't know who was available and it was transfer deadline day.

It wasn't a condition of the Torres sale, that they HAD to spend the cash that day. They could have spent that money FAR more wisely in the summer. Anyone arguing that Carroll was anything other than a shocking bit of business, is either fishing, or a moron.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Ok then, so they spent £7.5m on upgrading a faltering Torres for one of the EPL's best players and Carroll who, if played in the right system, will be very effective. Carroll is 23 and Suarez is 25. Torres is 28 next month. Carroll and Suarez have both scored more goals in the last year than Torres. Both would still fetch a higher transfer fee if they were sold tomorrow than Torres.

I'm not trying to claim Andy Carroll is a great striker, but surely you have to accept King Kenny did exceptionally well in those particular deals? It's all very well saying they could have bought someone better than Carroll, but you don't know who was available and it was transfer deadline day.

I've got an idea.

Why don't you piss off and support Liverpool as you are so impressed by them.

And stop posting on here, and leave us BRIGHTON fans in peace.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

I'm beginning to piece this together now, The Complete Twat is actually a Liverpool supporter.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

No, not exceptionally well. Suarez looked great against us today, has superb touch and vision, and I think he is exciting to watch but has scored 11 goals in 13 months.

As HKFC said, Kenny could have kept the £35million and bought a decent striker last summer instead of a panic decision in relation to Carroll.

Chelsea signing Torres at £50million was a vanity purchase by Abramovic and did not represent a market value. One piece of lunacy does not justify another.

If someone paid you a lot of money for a piece of your shit why then spend 70% of it immediately on another piece of shit, when there is plenty of gold out there?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm not saying Carroll is a player you can be happy about paying £35m for. What I'm saying is that their OVERALL business on those deals was very, very good. In my opinion, Suarez is a £40m player and they got him for half that, which balances out much of the overspend on Carroll. They might not have had to spend the money that day, but I would suggest a great club like LFC can't really justify to their fans selling a player for £50m and not replacing him for half a season.

But they DID replace Torres..........with Suarez. So why sign Carroll as well?

For all his excellent approach play and linking with other players Suarez's goal scoring record is ultimately only moderate. Would you say 11 goals in 13 months makes him worth £40million?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just because he doesn't score loads of goals it doesn't mean he's not one of the top players in this country. If you want to focus on goals, Holt at Norwich, Fletcher at Wolves and Graham at Swansea have all scored more than Suarez this season. Would you seriously want any of those to even lace Suarez's boots?

And I guess it depends how you look at it. I still think Carroll will do alright at Liverpool and, combined with Suarez, they have done well out of the Torres sale. Maybe they could have got someone better in the summer. What I do know is they would have been a striker down for half a season and they wouldn't have got any of the biggest names as they can't offer European football.

I agree it is not all about goal scoring. But to justify the £40m price tag you have given him I genuinely think he would need a better return than the one he has delivered to date. I was lucky enough to see Suarez at the World Cup in South Africa and he looked a class act.

I still don't understand the point you are making about being a striker down. Replace Torres with Suarez and you are not a striker down, unless I am being spectacularly thick. So it still makes the signing of Carroll look daft, but then Kenny has added to that with Henderson and Downing in the summer.

As for European football, it wasn't delivered last season (Europa league is the equivalent of the JPT) and barring a miracle won't be delivered this season too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My point about being a striker down is that Suarez is not really a focal point. He's got a bit of a free role. He's a bit like Rooney in the way he plays but much more skilful. So if you take Torres, who plays on the last man, out and just replace him with Suarez I think you are effectively playing without a man up top. When they've played Suarez this season, even if Carroll isn't playing, he is still supported by players like Bellamy (who wasn't there last January).

Liverpool could still easily get in the CL next season. They're only 4 points off the pace and they're chasing two very inconsistent teams in Arsenal and Chelsea. I'm not sure overturning that would be a "miracle"! Maybe King Kenny will be able to shop for the stars again if they do make it, rather than bringing in the likes of Charlie Adam.

If spending £100million is not shopping for the stars what is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here