Your all time Brighton and Hove Albion XI

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Maybe he was but his impact for Brighton was not as profound as Bobby's

oh FFS. we were a two bob nondescript Third Division club going nowhere until we unearthed him.

You cannot believe the impact he made.

It was HHUUUUGGGGEEEEEEEE. Playing wise he put us on the map in the 1970s. and this was before he'd done the Cup Final and the First Division.

No one at BHA had got close to playing for england since the 1920s. Ward not only became an U-23 international, but played for england at the Godstone AND SCORED A HAT-TRICK in a 6-0 WIN.

For all Zamora's considerable individual impact, he was walking down a well known path by that time. A path forged by Wardy

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
im going on what I've seen in my time following albion. im not the most hardcore of fans but i love my club. Doesn't mean you have to know every player or every goal from hert. everyone has to start somewhere

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
From 70s onwards and assuming we mean on the basis of performance while playing for the club, the correct answer is:

GK: Beeney (Corrigan a superior keeper but well past his sell-by-date by the time came to us)

Wing backs: Gregory & Williams (narrowly edging out Calderon)

Centre halves plus sweeper: Foster, Stevens, Lawrenson (note: all 3 were capped and were light years ahead in class relative to some of the other defenders mentioned in this thread)

Midfield 3: Case, Horton, Gotsmanov

Front 2: Zamora, Ward

Subs: Byrne, Wilson, O'Sullivan, Lua Lua, Calderon, Michael Robinson, Keeley (GK)

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Hollins
Carolan , Stevens
Bertolini , Jennings , Rees
Gould , Napier K , Dawson , Ward, Jones.

No subs allowed.In reserve,Zamora,O'Sullivan.Lawrenson,Steele.

Fur Cough

There's a book called "A Few Good Men, The Brighton and Hove Albion Dream team" by Spencer Vignes.

His book, although i disagree with a couple of his inclusions, is well worth a read.

Mistasita

May 7, 2011
1 Steele
2 Cattlin
3 Mayo
4 Lawro
5 Fosie
6 Sully
7 Nobby H
8 The Tank ( Clarke )
9 WARD
10 Spider MELLOR
11 Bobby Z

We have had some cracking players who could have also made the bench , Tony Towner , Jimmy Case , Robbo , Gerry Ryan , Grummit , the Former dutch marine......

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
1. Peter Grummit
2. Harry Wilson
3. Ken Tiler
4. Brian Horton
5. Steve Foster
6. Mark Lawrenson
7. Kazenga Lua Lua
8. Peter Ward
9. Bobby Zamora
10. Sully
11. Tony Towner

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
1 Steele
2 Cattlin
3 Mayo
4 Lawro
5 Fosie
6 Sully
7 Nobby H
8 The Tank ( Clarke )
9 WARD
10 Spider MELLOR
11 Bobby Z

We have had some cracking players who could have also made the bench , Tony Towner , Jimmy Case , Robbo , Gerry Ryan , Grummit , the Former dutch marine......

A good side. But Mayo as our strongest left back?????

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Joe Corrigan

Martin Keown
Sammy Nelson
Willie Young
Russell Osman

Dennis Mortimer
Matt Le Tissier
Alan Mullery

Frank Stapleton
Frank Worthington
Martin Chivers

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Joe Corrigan

Martin Keown
Sammy Nelson
Willie Young
Russell Osman

Dennis Mortimer
Matt Le Tissier
Alan Mullery

Frank Stapleton
Frank Worthington
Martin Chivers

Ok I'll be the first to bite. Mullery, no you can't have him, sorry. Le Tiss? For one appearance in the stripes for a testimonial? Keown, loanee, nope. Come on!

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
oh FFS. we were a two bob nondescript Third Division club going nowhere until we unearthed him.

You cannot believe the impact he made.

It was HHUUUUGGGGEEEEEEEE. Playing wise he put us on the map in the 1970s. and this was before he'd done the Cup Final and the First Division.

No one at BHA had got close to playing for england since the 1920s. Ward not only became an U-23 international, but played for england at the Godstone AND SCORED A HAT-TRICK in a 6-0 WIN.

For all Zamora's considerable individual impact, he was walking down a well known path by that time. A path forged by Wardy

Got to agree with this. The guy had incredible presence. In more recent times I got the same feeling when watching Gazza playing for England at his peak... You always thought something was gonna happen when he had the ball. Wardy is a total legend.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Without Ward Brighton may have not got out of div3 in the 76/77 season, so he was critical to the success of the so called glory years.
One thing I found puzzling is why it took so long for Wardy to make his debut, may have got promotion in the 75/76 season had he played sooner. Peter Taylor would have stayed on, think he may have done an even better job than Mullery.

Without Ward Brighton may have not got out of div3 in the 76/77 season, so he was critical to the success of the so called glory years.
One thing I found puzzling is why it took so long for Wardy to make his debut, may have got promotion in the 75/76 season had he played sooner. Peter Taylor would have stayed on, think he may have done an even better job than Mullery.

I think Peter Taylor knew a thing or two about developing young players (eg not exposing them to 1st team football too early) and the reserve fixtures/leagues were more a competitive test then; I can remember going to watch Ward in the reserves and there were nearly a thousand fans at the Goldstone.
We also had Fred Binney at the time who, whilst eventually being replaced by PW, was knocking in 20+ per season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here