Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your 1st Sussex CCC game ?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I forget who it was against - but it co-incided with the Albions 2nd divison victory parade

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Withdean,Just a deep sea diver to Brighton Rtn to H/Heath. Good value. Move to Nr Stoke and see what you get . :rant:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
My grandad god bless him was a HUGE cricket fan, Ive been watching sussex since 1970 though unfortunatly I can't ask who against anymore either.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Parks,Dexter,Oakman,Suttle,Shepherd,Langridge,Pataudi.....ah,them woz the days!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My first game I remember was in 1964 against the International Cavaliers (anyone remember them) where I saw the remarkable sight of Trevor Bailey hitting a six. The first CC game was against Derbyshire the following year.

However, I had been many times before that when I was baby and a toddler - I just can't remember them.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Against Surrey in the championship in 1993, I think. And the first-ever Sunday game in coloured clothing the following day. In which Franklyn Stephenson became the first player to score a ton in England wearing pyjamas.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Against Surrey in the championship in 1993, I think. And the first-ever Sunday game in coloured clothing the following day. In which Franklyn Stephenson became the first player to score a ton in England wearing pyjamas.
That is round about the time I started going, in fact it was dear old Franklyn that really got me into Sussex and who can forget those super smashing great yellow Merrydown shirts... Ahhh memories.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My first game was against Sri Lanka in 1984, the year the West Indies hammered us 5-0. Neil Lenham made his debut, having joined straight from Brighton College. He opened and faced Madan Lal, who I think must have been the fastest bowler he had ever faced, but he coped very well. Another one who never really fulfilled his potential (I think he suffered a lot of injuries, didn't he?) I will never forget Sri Lankan opener Sidath Wettimuny getting hit in the cabbage patch and having to be extensively rubbed down by Sussex's then female physio. It didn't seem to do him any harm, though - next week he scored 187 against an England attack led by BBC Cricket Correspondent Jonathan Agnew, who is a far better commentator than he was as a bowler.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My first game was against Sri Lanka in 1984, the year the West Indies hammered us 5-0. Neil Lenham made his debut, having joined straight from Brighton College. He opened and faced Madan Lal, who I think must have been the fastest bowler he had ever faced, but he coped very well. Another one who never really fulfilled his potential (I think he suffered a lot of injuries, didn't he?) I will never forget Sri Lankan opener Sidath Wettimuny getting hit in the cabbage patch and having to be extensively rubbed down by Sussex's then female physio. It didn't seem to do him any harm, though - next week he scored 187 against an England attack led by BBC Cricket Correspondent Jonathan Agnew, who is a far better commentator than he was as a bowler.

Madan Lal was an Indian, so he wouldn't have been playing for Sri Lanka; do you mean De Mel? I was at that game and remember Wettimuny getting hit - I can still hear his groan.

Neil Lenham was a good player but suffered an abnormal number of finger injuries.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've still got Keith Greenfield's! I bought it for about three pounds at a charity auction of some kind.

Well, I'm currently sitting in his old room. Beat that :D

(we bought this house from the Greenfields - we've kept the cricketer on the door number plate as it looks cute)

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
IVA Richards c & b K Greenfield 22 is still one of my favourite wickets of all time. Anyone else remember the occasion?

And he played for St Peter's CC as a boy (like me, and Chapmans the Saviour) to boot.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Neil Lenham was a good player but suffered an abnormal number of finger injuries.

Is correct. He got to the point where he was told that if he was hit one more time his finger would be entirely f***ed up, and they would not be able to rebuild it. At the end he was batting with a special hand-guard attached to his bat handle, which was specially made for him [by Newberry I think]. It didn't really work out, and of course it acted as a giant target for fast bowlers!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have only seen them play once, that was a game against the West Indies, complete with the likes of Richards, Garner and Greenidge...can't remember when it was but I reckon it must have been the late 70's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here