Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your 1st Sussex CCC game ?

Parks,Dexter,Oakman,Suttle,Shepherd,Langridge,Pataudi.....ah,them woz the days!

My first memory of Eaton Road is a tourists match vs West Indies and Ken Suttle being laid out by a bouncer from Charlie Griffiths - would have been in the 60's but can't remember exactly when.

Fondest memory is seeing one G A Boycott (on 0) leaving one outside his off stump from John A Snow and then seeing the stump uprooted - still makes me smile.
Also remember JAS doing something similar to Barry Richards.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My first memory of Eaton Road is a tourists match vs West Indies and Ken Suttle being laid out by a bouncer from Charlie Griffiths - would have been in the 60's but can't remember exactly when.

That was 1966; he also hit Derek Underwood that season - and this the year after he fractured Contractor's skull in a test match: a fearsome bowler was Mr Griffiths.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Me,watcting Roger Prideaux ? 75 Not out win over Kent about 73 ?

Blimey that was my first game...it was in the Gillette cup and John Snow destoyed them.

I remember sitting by the boundary rope near the souhthwest corner . Bob Woolmer was fielding near ans asked to see the Sussex Card.

Small world

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
IVA Richards c & b K Greenfield 22 is still one of my favourite wickets of all time. Anyone else remember the occasion?

And he played for St Peter's CC as a boy (like me, and Chapmans the Saviour) to boot.

I played for St Peters as well. Mark Smallwood et al.

Wasn't Giles Cheatles wicket IVA or was it Barry Richards?

Post has just arrived including a mailshot from the Toilet Bowl inviting me to become a Pantshire member next season.:angry:

Whoopie and they sell John Smiths as well!!! :sick:
So no Mushy, no Harveys, no Grizzly, no Luuuuuuke, no Hoppo, no deckchairs, .....................................no trophies - just the fat German and it's almost as expensive as my phone bill to the Albion ticket office.

Must be down to the strike - Posties please call it off before I get really cross. :rant::rant::rant:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
My Dad took me to a Gillette Cup game in the early 70s v Kent. Not sure of the year but we scored about 270 and bowled them out for a lot less than that.

I also remember a game against the Australians in 73 (maybe?) when Gary Gilmour scored a quick 100 and Dennis Lillee started his bowling run-up about 6 inches in from the boundary rope in front of the Arthur Gilligan stand

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I played for St Peters as well. Mark Smallwood et al.

Wasn't Giles Cheatles wicket IVA or was it Barry Richards?

Do you mean first wicket? It was indeed Barry Richards - although if I remember rightly he'd already scored a ton by then.

I also remember John Barclay's first wicket: he bowled Glenn Turner (although I think he'd scored a ton by then too).

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
My Dad took me to a Gillette Cup game in the early 70s v Kent. Not sure of the year but we scored about 270 and bowled them out for a lot less than that.

I also remember a game against the Australians in 73 (maybe?) when Gary Gilmour scored a quick 100 and Dennis Lillee started his bowling run-up about 6 inches in from the boundary rope in front of the Arthur Gilligan stand

That was the game I was at.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Madan Lal was an Indian, so he wouldn't have been playing for Sri Lanka; do you mean De Mel? I was at that game and remember Wettimuny getting hit - I can still hear his groan.

Neil Lenham was a good player but suffered an abnormal number of finger injuries.

Yes, you're right, Gwyl. I think dyslexia, the number of pints of Harveys I've consumed over the years since that time (I seem to remember having my first around that time - I was either 14 or 15) and typing this at 6 whenever after just 3 hours of sleep - don't ask, has mucked up my memory of the match. However, the Wettimuny incident must surely compare with Bas at Bournemouth!!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I was at the Aussie touring game Hiney refers to. Having bunked off school we arrived early to watch the Aussies in the nets. I think Gilmour was chucking down a few to Ian Chappell.

I was standing next to Hadlee (I think it was him) whan a hand was placed on either of our shoulders and parted us gently. A cricketer then strode through and watched Gilmour bowl whichg prompted him to say "Gilmour I can fart quicker that you can bowl".

That man was Dennis Lillee!!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Anyone remember Laurence Rowe of The Windies touring party taking out one of the windows in the members bar whilst knocking up?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1970S/1973/ENG_LOCAL/GLTE/SUSSEX_KENT_GLTE_01AUG1973.html

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1970S/1975/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_SUSSEX_16-18JUL1975.html

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Sussex v Pakistan 1974.

It rained most of the day but I was hooked. Junior member 1975 and we finished bottom of the CC. Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge carting Roger Marshall all over the park is my abiding memory of that season. Marshall is often in the deck chairs these days as is Peter Graves another member of the 1974 team.

PG

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That Kent game was only 34 years ago yet four of the players are now dead: that's a pretty shocking statistic.

Is that the Aussie game where Lillee bowled an apple or a bar of soap or something? Or was that in 1972?

That is a shocking statistic. Four men dying well before their time.

I have no idea about the year of that game, although I seem to remember hearing about an apple. The game before I was even considered!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here