Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Young players

Benje0123

Oct 11, 2009
Intresting to see that young keeper Mitch Walker has told he can go as he won't get a game. I mean he's a quality keeper and hasn't been given a chance?? oh wait he was and kept a clean sheet.

Another example is that of George Barker a natural goalscorer in the youth team and reserves over the past few seasons, however last year was outed by Gary Hart in the reserves, at what benefit? only for Hart to retire? George has proved on many occassions he is capable, I mean that goal vs Crawley (on the seagulls player).

Our club has some absolute tremendous young players that have been outed by players such as the argentinians and older players which can no longer offer the club PROGRESSION.

Brighton have released players such as Roy Keane, Ian Wright and the recent Russel Martin this shows we produce quality but dont seem to want it?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Firstly, the three players you mention at the bottom were so long ago, they have nothing to do with the staff at the club now.

And do you not think that the coaching staff, who work with the players every single day, might have more of an idea of their potential ability than you? If we keep them, it's because we think they may be able to break into our first team. Otherwise, no point in keeping them.

Benje0123

Oct 11, 2009
Firstly your first point is wrong, and of course they know the players ability better than me.
However, Why shouldn't they be given a chance and other like players that can't offer the club anything i.e the argies and players that are retiring get given numerous oppurtunities? I just find it strange?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Intresting to see that young keeper Mitch Walker has told he can go as he won't get a game. I mean he's a quality keeper and hasn't been given a chance?? oh wait he was and kept a clean sheet.

Another example is that of George Barker a natural goalscorer in the youth team and reserves over the past few seasons, however last year was outed by Gary Hart in the reserves, at what benefit? only for Hart to retire? George has proved on many occassions he is capable, I mean that goal vs Crawley (on the seagulls player).

Our club has some absolute tremendous young players that have been outed by players such as the argentinians and older players which can no longer offer the club PROGRESSION.

Brighton have released players such as Roy Keane, Ian Wright and the recent Russel Martin this shows we produce quality but dont seem to want it?

Firstly, we didn't release Roy Keane. He was supposed to come to us on trial and never did. Ian Wright we turned down a long, long time ago so, as mentioned above, what is your point. The same applies to Russell Martin.

As for Walker and Barker, I trust Gus over any fan. Barker may be doing well in the reserves but so were apparently Baz, Battipiedi etc. It seems an extremely odd thread to be honest and I can't really see the point.

Benje0123

Oct 11, 2009
I read from the argus website that Mitch was free to go, IN MY OPINION I find this strange as he has not been given a chance and I would ask the question can Poke offer more to the club than Mitch?? I'm not claiming to know better than anyone I just think from what I saw of him he was quality. Barker wasn't given a chance in the reserves last season and was behind these players, Hart etc.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Are you mates with one of the youth team released by chance? We are a proper club now, so can't just keep hold of players forever because we might have brought them through.

Benje0123

Oct 11, 2009
No but I have watched these players on some occasions, and play against very strong opposition i.e Everton against Jose Baxter etc..
As stated I think that Mitch is quality and it's a mistake for releasing him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I read from the argus website that Mitch was free to go, IN MY OPINION I find this strange as he has not been given a chance and I would ask the question can Poke offer more to the club than Mitch??.

Tony Godden , Gus etc obviously think so as they have extended Poke 's contract for another 12 months.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He did, he came at the same time as paul mcarthy, we could not afford both of them at the time so we took mcarthy on and let keane go!

That is not how I heard it at the time. It was said that he was homesick and returned home and Paul McCarthy stayed for the full trial [period and we signed him.

Benje0123

Oct 11, 2009
I' sure there must many more players like this. But I'm sure the staff do know best, I'ts a shame that they haven't been given a chance before they left though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Pretty sure that none of the three we who supposedly left us actually came to us in the first place (not convinced that leaving part way through a trial counts)- so ones we missed for sure but that wasn't the point was it.

Are we now supposed to give young players priority just because they are young? I can't think of any other reason that Hart - who was presumably thought to offer more to the team - or Baz and Battipiedi who have as much right as any to try to earn a living - should be downgraded to bit parts.

Walker has been let go. That is tough. If Poke hadn't shown pre-season nerves we would never have signed Ankergren. If we hadn't signed Ankergren then Walker would probably still be number three and seeing out his contract. But sometimes life is like that and not just in football. We can all cite cases of "what if" in our lives.

Barker is still with us. His chance may come or it may not. Is he a "natural" goalscorer? Time will tell. Lots of people scored goals in youth football.... few progressed to do it consistently professionally. There is no equation linking the two.

I am firmly on record as praising the club's ability to bring players through to play professionally at our own level. Unsurprisingly given our travails over recent years, very few have come through to play at a higher level but that is what we must now do and that is why a development squad has been created and why we have widened our scouting network. This, consumately professional, approach will only succeed however if we put aside the amateur view that local youth must succeed at all costs. What must succeed is talent and a winning mentality no matter what it's age and where it comes from.

Last edited:

Benje0123

Oct 11, 2009
I just would love the fact that local players were given a chance over foreign players as I think this is the problem with English game sometimes

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I just would love the fact that local players were given a chance over foreign players

Ah. That would be the local rishman Roy Keane and the local Londoner Ian Wright then?

Local players DO get a chance.

Thankfully, just like all the "foreigners", if they are not good enough they leave

Benje0123

Oct 11, 2009
Pretty sure that none of the three we who supposedly left us actually came to us in the first place (not convinced that leaving part way through a trial counts)- so ones we missed for sure but that wasn't the point was it.

Are we now supposed to give young players priority just because they are young? I can't think of any other reason that Hart - who was presumably thought to offer more to the team - or Baz and Battipiedi who have as much right as any to try to earn a living - should be downgraded to bit parts.

Walker has been let go. That is tough. If Poke hadn't shown pre-season nerves we would never have signed Ankergren. If we hadn't signed Ankergren then Walker would probably still be number three and seeing out his contract. But sometimes life is like that and not just in football. We can all cite cases of "what if" in our lives.

Barker is still with us. His chance may come or it may not. Is he a "natural" goalscorer? Time will tell. Lots of people scored goals in youth football.... few progressed to do it consistently professionally. There is no equation linking the two.

I am firmly on record as praising the club's ability to bring players through to play professionally at our own level. Unsurprisingly given our travails over recent years, very few have come through to play at a higher level but that is what we must now do and that is why a development squad has been created and why we have widened our scouting network. This, consumately professional, approach will only succeed however if we put aside the amateur view that local youth must succeed at all costs. What must succeed is talent and a winning mentality no matter what it's age and where it comes from.

A very constructive post, we can all ask the questions of what if? It's a shame to see lads like this go, they may go on to prove the club wrong but probably not.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I just would love the fact that local players were given a chance over foreign players as I think this is the problem with English game sometimes

Rubbish, nationality hasn't got anything to do with it. It's to do with their ability and what the management have seen in training day in day out. Nothing more. I agree that Walker is a top prospect, however it's been deemed that he won't get a game this season, so why keep him on? Let him join another club where he will get the opportunity to play.

I think the club have acted correctly in this regard.

Benje0123

Oct 11, 2009
Ah. That would be the local rishman Roy Keane and the local Londoner Ian Wright then?

haha, yes but at least they were UK based players. In this instance players that we sign for a season from south america for one season get prority of lads that have been with the club years then the south americans get released (why?).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here