Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Young players

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I'm sure they are given as much chance as they deserve, but it's a huge step up from youth/reserve team football to first team. Absolutely huge. Look at Joe Gatting - scored for fun in our reserves. Now he's playing Cricket!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
haha, yes but at least they were UK based players. In this instance players that we sign for a season from south america for one season get prority of lads that have been with the club years then the south americans get released (why?).

because they are better/show more potential?

Never mind - we have 2 new local lads signed up :thumbsup:

2 Chelsea youth sign up (Merged)

Benje0123

Oct 11, 2009
yes they have been on trial for a while, fingers crossed they are quality :) , hopefully they are good enough

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I do think it is bizarre to be letting Walker go, he appeared to be doing well and had a few appearences on the subs bench last season as well as a start against Yoevil. I also don't understand why players like Harty are taking the spot in the reserves ahead of Barker on a regular basis, I would have thought that was an ideal opportunity to develop Barker.

But if Gus and the team dn't think they will make it at BHA then the only option is to wave goodbye

Benje0123

Oct 11, 2009
I do think it is bizarre to be letting Walker go, he appeared to be doing well and had a few appearences on the subs bench last season as well as a start against Yoevil. I also don't understand why players like Harty are taking the spot in the reserves ahead of Barker on a regular basis, I would have thought that was an ideal opportunity to develop Barker.

But if Gus and the team dn't think they will make it at BHA then the only option is to wave goodbye

My view exactly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As stated I think Walker was a victim of bad luck and worse timing - much like Sullivan when his contract ran out a year ahead of Kuipers....if it had been the other way round? Who knows?

Hart played in the reserves to keep fit for when he was needed in the first team squad, a level Barker was never going to reach last season. Who knows? maybe next year....

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I think having Harty in the reserves has been an excellent idea. What better person to have than the ultimate professional like him to set an example to the youth players? I think they would have gained an awful lot from having him in the team.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
On another note, the only player we have released in the last few years (that I can think of) who has gone on to play at a higher level is John Sullivan. Although he is yet to play for Millwall, and only had a run of games on loan with Yeovil.

dexter

Apr 25, 2011
mitchell walker is a good prospect for sure but the problem is when do you blood a young keeper , i mean could you imagine what would have happened if walker had been called upon at the withdean and made a simple error , the fans would have been on his case something chronic and it could have buggered his career , i am sure if a club deem him good enough he will get another chance and who knows when he is in his late 20s he could well be with a bigger club but i think you will all agree most clubs like an older experianced keeper

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here