Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You HAVE to sell Lewis Dunk or Ben White - which one goes?

You have to sell one of them - which one do you sell?

• Lewis Dunk

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • Ben White

Votes: 121 66.1%

• Total voters

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Seems I'm going against the prevailing opinion here, but I'd let Dunk go and keep White.

Dunk is at a point in his career now where a) his transfer value has likely peaked (if not already started to decline) and b) it could be his last opportunity to go to a top club and get a chance at playing in Europe. So we cash in, and in doing so we do the right thing by a player who's been a fantastic player for the club.

Keeping White would be a calculated gamble. Leeds clearly see quality if they're so desperate to spend big to get him. If it's true that Chelsea and Liverpool are getting involved as well, then that tells me enough that the kid has potential. If the gamble pays off, we have a quality player who slots right into Dunk's first team slot and whose value will only go up. If he doesn't excel in the Prem, then we know we can still sell him into the championship with decent value - even if we've missed out on the big bucks now, by selling Dunk at his peak value we mitigate that risk (I reckon Dunk's value will start to decline if we don't sell in this window).

More seriously though, I'd sell Duffy and keep both :p.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The correct answer may well be Dunk. If the hype is to be believed White could be anything. That said, I voted White. Dunk is our captain, he's prepared to get hurt (which matters if Duffy is on his way) and he possibly the greatest defender in our history taking length of service and achievement into consideration. I can't believe we'd be better defensively over the course of a season without him

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's a Kobayashi Maru test.

The only way not to lose is to rewrite the question.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Hypothetical question with a virtually impossible to fathom out answer.
We all want to see Dunky and White playing alongside each other in the stripes.
We don't HAVE to sell either.
So on that basis, I'm not worrying my little head about it. We have an abundance of centre back talent, and I'm grateful for that :D
VERY much looking forward to next season, whenever we get to turn up in person ...

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
I would like them both to stay, but if I had to chose I would say keep White and sell Dunk but only if it is to his childhood team or one of the big guys,

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I went with sell White, purely because Dunk is tried and tested. Selfishly, from my point of view, I didn't factor in his ambitions for playing for one of the big boys or England – it's all about the Albion.

One thing that does puzzle me (well, in two parts, really) about the whole BW thing is how much demand there is for him (apparently). Leeds (fans and, apparently, the club) falling over themselves to make an unproved at this level CB their first and most important signing. Yes, he played for them last season and yes, he did very well, but the level of interest bordering on obsession is still a little bit odd, for me. Then there are the stories that 'if he doesn't come to Leeds, he'll be off to a top four club'. Again, a top four club (I saw Chelsea were after him, but wasn't sure if that was instead of – or as well as – Dunky) wants to sign a guy who hasn't played at this level, but did very well in the Championship.

Now, I'll admit I haven't seen hardly anything of him, but he must be an absolute superstar if he's *that* sought-after already? Or is it just a 'big club' taking a gamble for (relatively) little money on a prospect who everyone says is going to be a star?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
TBH, I'm surprised at this poll. I thought it would be very much the other way.

In terms of value to the club, it has to be sell Dunk and keep White.

Look at this way: Sell D, keep W
Best case D £50m - In two yrs time W £80m
Worst case D £50m - In two yrs time, W is not up to PL, good Championship player £10m
Brighton pocket something between £60m and £130m

Sell W Keep D
Best case W £40m (he's unproven) In two yrs time D maybe £6m
Worst case W £40m In two yrs time D £0

Brighton pocket something between £46m and £40m

Obviously, there are other factors - Dunk's leadership for example, but from a purely financial point of view. If we HAD to sell one, Dunk is the clear answer (but I don't want either sold)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I wouldn't sell either but if forced, I'd sell the unknown quantity in the PL.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
TBH, I'm surprised at this poll. I thought it would be very much the other way.

In terms of value to the club, it has to be sell Dunk and keep White.

Look at this way: Sell D, keep W
Best case D £50m - In two yrs time W £80m
Worst case D £50m - In two yrs time, W is not up to PL, good Championship player £10m
Brighton pocket something between £60m and £130m

Sell W Keep D
Best case W £40m (he's unproven) In two yrs time D maybe £6m
Worst case W £40m In two yrs time D £0

Brighton pocket something between £46m and £40m

Obviously, there are other factors - Dunk's leadership for example, but from a purely financial point of view. If we HAD to sell one, Dunk is the clear answer (but I don't want either sold)

You forgot this factor.
Sell D Keep W
Relegation from the PL -£130m. W snapped up by PL club £15m
£115m loss.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Seems I'm going against the prevailing opinion here, but I'd let Dunk go and keep White.

Dunk is at a point in his career now where a) his transfer value has likely peaked (if not already started to decline) and b) it could be his last opportunity to go to a top club and get a chance at playing in Europe. So we cash in, and in doing so we do the right thing by a player who's been a fantastic player for the club.

Keeping White would be a calculated gamble. Leeds clearly see quality if they're so desperate to spend big to get him. If it's true that Chelsea and Liverpool are getting involved as well, then that tells me enough that the kid has potential. If the gamble pays off, we have a quality player who slots right into Dunk's first team slot and whose value will only go up. If he doesn't excel in the Prem, then we know we can still sell him into the championship with decent value - even if we've missed out on the big bucks now, by selling Dunk at his peak value we mitigate that risk (I reckon Dunk's value will start to decline if we don't sell in this window).

More seriously though, I'd sell Duffy and keep both :p.

I voted White by accident. :dunce: I actually agree with this, as most of my posts on the subject will confirm. I feel it is probably time for Dunk to go, he deserves a crack with a big club, he's good enough, and we are not in the business of holding players back - that ought to be a selling point of them coming to this club in the first place.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You forgot this factor.
Sell D Keep W
Relegation from the PL -£130m. W snapped up by PL club £15m
£115m loss.

Yes, interesting point but that assumes a couple of things
First of all, the D money is invested in a striker who doesn't deliver (and it's goals we're lacking)
Second, that White can't make the step up at all - in which case he won't be snapped by a PL club and we have someone who clearly can get us promoted

I was just thinking purely with a financial hat on but i accept that's not everything and eeet's complicated

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
If the choice is a straight one between a tried and trusted star of the Prem against an untested youngest who has never played for the Albion or in the Prem - it's a no brainer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here