Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You HAVE to sell Lewis Dunk or Ben White - which one goes?

You have to sell one of them - which one do you sell?

• Lewis Dunk

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • Ben White

Votes: 121 66.1%

• Total voters

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
For the long term health of the club, we'd be better off selling Dunk.

White, at 22, is the future and has the potential to be a better player than Dunk. The fact that Liverpool and Chelsea are after him shows how highly rated he is. One good season from him in the PL and he could worth double what he is now. Dunk's value won't go up now.

Selling Dunk and allowing White to take his place would encourage more promising youngsters to join as there is a clear path to first team football with us.

That said, keeping both is what i'm hoping for!

I voted for White on the grounds that you can't miss something you've never had (back in your box Leeds fans, he's always been ours just not played for us) but having read your argument I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice.

Real tough one. So lets sell neither.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's a false choice.

I'd sell neither but boost the kitty instead by selling Duffy, Montoya, March, and Jahanbakhsh, whilst also looking to move on at least 1 of Groß, Pröpper, or Stephens.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's tough. Dunk is probably at the peak of his value, so if we were ever going to cash in on him we should do it right now, whereas the likelihood is Ben White's value will increase with PL experience (unless he really bombs, which is unlikely). But Dunk is arguably more important to our team right now than anyone, and losing him means a big gap to fill for someone, and a lot of pressure on White to do it. Plus there's an increased risk of losing White in the future and being down both anyway.

So overall, probably sell White.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
For the clubs benefit: White - get big bucks for a player that wont leave a gap in the match day squad and retain the one with 3 years of PL experience
For the players benefit: Dunk - due a chance at a top 6 side, euro footy and enhance his chances of more England caps

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lewis Dunk is prob as good as he's going to get without having his contribution enhanced by playing alongside superior players in a top six side. After all these years of throwing his body on the line for the Albion cause, I'd be surprised if he didn't actually find it easier than at present. He'd have more time, more space Ben White has served his apprenticeship in full now, culminating in a full-blooded Championship season with Leeds. He's almost certainly ready to step up to the plate IHMO

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
As White is a right-sided central defender and Dunk is comfortable on the left, the obvious answer is Webster. But if it had to be one of the two, then Dunk - as long as it's to Chelsea, so that he can play in the Champions League and for England.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Which of your two children do you want to push off this cliff edge?

I was thinking exactly the same.
Bozza is basically asking us which of our two children do we give the last place in the lifeboat to?

(in reality Big Shane is about to go for a swim so I think we'll have room for both)

But if, if, if......
With Webster, Burn and Veltman still on deck I'd say thank you Lewis (giving him a big tearful hug).
And give a big welcome to young Ben, with my fingers crossed that he's PL ready after his time playing in a weak second tier.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
First the Desert Island thread and now this...... :tantrum:

Short term the answer is sell White - Dunk's presence at the back is far more likely to keep us up next season.

Long term the answer is sell Dunk - give him a crack at honours and bring on the next generation.

I voted with the long term solution.

Is it really the long term answer though? If White is as good as it is said, he most likely wont be around many years, while Dunk has reached the age where the chance of a big club transfer decrease every year. Shipping Dunk would perhaps mean two years or so of Ben White, while shipping White could mean seven or so more years of Dunk.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Is it really the long term answer though? If White is as good as it is said, he most likely wont be around many years, while Dunk has reached the age where the chance of a big club transfer decrease every year. Shipping Dunk would perhaps mean two years or so of Ben White, while shipping White could mean seven or so more years of Dunk.

I agree. If White is as good as he is reported to be, he won't be with Brighton for long. There's already big clubs interested before he has played a Premier League game.

There's also other young centre backs like Clarke, Ostigard, Roberts, O'Hora and Dendoncker out on loan or in the under 23s so it's not like White is our only young player.

Although, as said previously on this thread, I wouldn't sell either of them unless we get a massive offer (well over their actual value) from one of the big six.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

True. But if White gets a big club transfer in two years, we'd have the wonga to buy another player AND we also have Roberts coming through, another excellent prospect. He'll be ready for PL football in two years (and that's not to mention Dendoncker and Baluta)

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Keep Dunk he is already a proven Premier League player, White is still a gamble
So many young Championship players have received rave reviews only to fizzle out when they have had to prove themselves at the next level
Let’s make a huge profit with good sell on and performance clauses for White

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sell Dunk if he wants Champions League football and to play for (and possibly captain) the club he supports.

Invest in the future not the present.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This tweet made me think.

[tweet]1293106985035010048[/tweet]

If you HAD to sell Lewis Dunk or Ben White, which one would you sell?

Great post that that inspired the tweet :)

If it is a choice between it really depends on the money on the table. I'd sell both if the offer was above value, but on the face of it selling this summer seems to make sense as probably the last season we can demand £40-50m?

With White there is a gamble because he is arguably unproven, but the judgement of those that know what they are talking about suggest he is a future star and therefore you can't under sell now, when he could be worth a hell of a lot more in the future.

So I'd just about argue to sell Dunk, because we have other cover, if the price is right, but keep White because it is unlikely anyone is going to pay us an over inflated amount. But none of us knows all the details!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No Brainer - Sell Ben White

At least 50% of all other Clubs in the PL wish they had a Central Defender like Dunk in their ranks - White totally untested at that level as of yet

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dunks our best and most important player. He’s proven. If he stays now, I think he’ll stay forever too. No brainier.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Sell Dunk with a buy back clause that says if White turns out to be shitehouse we can recall Dunk with immediate effect (in the next window) at the price we sold him for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here