Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Yorkshire cricket.end off

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Oh man it’s so sad that young Asian cricketers are being put off by ignorant racists within the game, hopefully Rifiq’s testament will improve things in the future for them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This Tory guy is trying to move this outwards to encompass sport and society in general.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Spot on Mackenzie.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
My memory may be a bit distorted here but I don't think the P word was acceptable in 2009 or the comments that Vaughan made.

You could call it banter - but they are using words the general public wouldn't. Ballance comes out as the biggest idiot here - clearly not helped by his Zimbabwean heritage. Vaughan a close second.

Lads, lads, lads - honestly......

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My memory may be a bit distorted here but I don't think the P word was acceptable in 2009 or the comments that Vaughan made.

You could call it banter - but they are using words the general public wouldn't. Ballance comes out as the biggest idiot here - clearly not helped by his Zimbabwean heritage. Vaughan a close second.

Your memory isn't distorted

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite distressing to watch really……….

Can’t get the thought out of my head that Harry Enfield seems to have nailed it with his ‘George Whitebread’ character ……..’you’ll never play for Yorkshire’.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I obviously am, but it is very nieve if you don’t think the press will be after him.

I am not sure, given the exact quite from Rafiq, that the press will be after Root. They may question his initial statement but Rafiq has basically said he is good man and didn't engage in this. Once again, he said that perhaps it is because it is so normalised (Rafiq's main point that this was institutional) that good guys like Root didn't notice or remember (but he, Rafiq, very much did).

But by implication he did. To come out in the press saying that there was no way root didn’t hear this and revealing that he was ballance’s room mate, he has cast doubt on Root’s version of events of not hearing any racist stuff going on, which is in contrast to what is being said here.

I wonder how you go from being very best mates, and the way best mates treat each other, to this. Maybe when others heard them talking to eachother the way they obviously did, they assumed it was normal…at that point Ballance should have spoken in in defence of him and said what is ok between the two of them, is not ok for everyone else.

Still YCC and ECB are coming out of this so badly. Heads will roll at the ECB

But he didn't come out in the press did he? He got asked a direct question about it and gave an honest answer (as you are supposed to during a parliamentary committee).

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Def not…….wasn’t acceptable then. I remember having a row with a (unashamedly racist) cabbie in Manchester around that time who used the term, I hadn’t heard it for years, was quite shocked (he didn’t get a tip and did get reported).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Which ever way you look at that, that was an extremely powerful testimony

Fascinating viewing

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Jeez YCC are by proxy boycotting this enquiry!

I thought better of Moxon.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I totally agree with those saying that over time words and their meaning have changed and I have no doubt in the past I have used words that were not appropriate and I would never use them now.

However Michael Vaughan’s comments of ‘there’s too many of you lot and we need to do something about it’ is not a lack of education or words changing over the years. It’s also not banter. He’s finished now and rightly so. Imagine a captain saying that to some of his team mates.

I noticed that the wording and semantics in his defence is around ‘I would not have said that’ I rather than ‘I did not say that’. A subtle difference.

The truth may well be that he said ‘you lot’ but was referring to some other group rather than a group of Asians, either way, this looks awful for him at present.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Jeez YCC are by proxy boycotting this enquiry!

I thought better of Moxon.
'I was asked to abandon the process' - Hutton
Hutton on resistance he experienced in the Yorkshire boardroom.

"There were a number of signals throughout the process, I was asked by the CEO to abandon the process and investigation.

"An employment tribunal had been settled and the CEO did not want to apologise. I said Azeem Rafiq would be part of the process of healing and reconciliation and was told he would not be welcome.

"There were isolated incidents like this throughout the investigation.

"When the report was produced on 17 August, there was a clear resistance to see Azeem as a victim and clear resistance to apology.

"There is not one defining moment and I saw resistance and it accumulated.

"I believed that the club's culture was in the past and needs changing, my resigning was not going to change that, (being on the board) that would have been done from within."

They’d have faced some very uncomfortable questioning, I can see why they hid.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

From January 2009: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7822574.stm

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Oh man it’s so sad that young Asian cricketers are being put off by ignorant racists within the game, hopefully Rifiq’s testament will improve things in the future for them.

And don't forget all those young Asian footballers, gay footballers etc etc. This is absolutely not just a cricket problem.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Mr Out-Of-Touch from Clacton.:ffsparr:

In weapons-grade toff accent…

“I say old bean, how about we take you out for one of those ‘curries’ that you people so enjoy, we forget about this whole, silly little misunderstanding, and you come back and help us get out of this sticky wicket we’re in with our sponsors? Wouldn’t that be just spiffing? What do you say old chap?”.

Who says these people are out of touch?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here