Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yippee - The end of an Era - Slam-door train era comes to a close

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Thank God I'll never have to use one of those dirty, stinking, dangerous old trains again. They were an embarrassment in this day and age.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
It is because of these toilets that bikes are not allowed on trains.

I wasn't working as Southern's accountant or design consultant when they ordered the new trains but I'd be very surprised if it really was just a simple zero sum game between wheelchair or bike.

I guess, new legislation - rightly - forces train companies to provide these facilities for wheelchair users, just as new offices now have to be equipped with access ramps etc. Sadly, most private companies wouldn't choose to do so off their own back.

One might question whether they had the option when ordering the new trains to provide both wheelchair AND bike facilities but chose not to do so on grounds of cost?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
I wasn't working as Southern's accountant or design consultant when they ordered the new trains but I'd be very surprised if it really was just a simple zero sum game between wheelchair or bike.

I guess, new legislation - rightly - forces train companies to provide these facilities for wheelchair users, just as new offices now have to be equipped with access ramps etc. Sadly, most private companies wouldn't choose to do so off their own back.

One might question whether they had the option when ordering the new trains to provide both wheelchair AND bike facilities but chose not to do so on grounds of cost?

Do we really need one for every four carrages?

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
I have to agree with Lammy. There is no room on the newer trains. Most evenings i have to stand up on the train home for 25 minutes as there is only 3 carriages on a peak time train the same time in the morning.

to top it all off southern reckon they are hitting targets by trains arriving within five minutes of their advertised time, so are stopping season ticket discount. all very well unless you have a connection you need to make. the new trains dont allow you to jump on at the last minute as the doors close 30 seconds before the departure i suppose that means they are actually leaving earlier.

SORT IT OUT

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
caz99 said:
the new trains dont allow you to jump on at the last minute as the doors close 30 seconds before the departure i suppose that means they are actually leaving earlier.

SORT IT OUT

yeah it was sooooooooo much fairer when you could run along the platform, leap for the departing train, fall onto the rails and lose your legs........ :jester:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
afters said:
yeah it was sooooooooo much fairer when you could run along the platform, leap for the departing train, fall onto the rails and lose your legs........ :jester:

:lolol:

90% of trains are delayed due to the public. So in that sense havin automatic doors is miles better! My only complaint is with their internal design.

As I'm tall I'm unable to physicaly fit in the seats that all face the same way so this limits the number of seats available to me. When you do get a seat you find it has been made out of wood with only a covering of material for padding. No side rest for your head when trying to sleep either.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Lammy said:

90% of trains are delayed due to the public. So in that sense havin automatic doors is miles better! My only complaint is with their internal design.

As I'm tall I'm unable to physicaly fit in the seats that all face the same way so this limits the number of seats available to me. When you do get a seat you find it has been made out of wood with only a covering of material for padding. No side rest for your head when trying to sleep either.

FFS! if it wasn't for all of you tall people standing up the rest of us wouldn't get a seat!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think there will be more cancellations as a result becuase I dont know how many times they have run a slam door due to 'malfunctions' on the new Electrostars or whatever they are.

and to be honest I would rather ride a slam door than those awful shitty thameslink trains

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
afters said:
FFS! if it wasn't for all of you tall people standing up the rest of us wouldn't get a seat!

Perhaps we should have half a carrage dedicated to us every four carrages so that we can sit in dignity?

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Slam doors were a disgrace, cold in winter , hot in summer, toilets like a tramps hostel , dusty dirty seats . You couldn't even see out the windows for graffitti / scratched windows. The new breed are good. However it is concerning the air con in most of them has already failed + the bike issue is a def problem. The toilets I find are excellant , they are not always open but maybe this is because I travel in "witching hours" when most the train is full of drinkers.

I think with these new licensing laws they need to review the time of the last train ie last train west from Brighton is 11:14 . . . what a joke.
Maybe they should run a slam door at 2 am

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I much prefer the new trains as a travelling environment, but at least the old ones ACTUALLY WORKED. I was 45 minutes late to work this morning because a train had failed at Upper Warlingham and the train was already virtually full when it left East Grinstead. I had to get a colleague to break into my system (a breach of internal security) as we had to get urgent briefing up to a Minister. This is happening virtually every day - performance on the EG line is absolutely dreadful, but because it comes under the Sussex Coast group of lines, and they have improved, we are to lose our discount. The trains cannot keep to the schedules because of the frequent stops (we seem to sit for ages at every station). Also, how can they justify charging £2295 for a Travelcard on the East Grinstead line, while Three Bridges, exactly the same distance, is £2995, which puts me off changing lines, which I would otherwise willingly do. Is it because they know the service is so awful?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Dougal said:
Slam doors were a disgrace, cold in winter , hot in summer, toilets like a tramps hostel , dusty dirty seats . You couldn't even see out the windows for graffitti / scratched windows.

Give it a year or so and the new ones will be just the same.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Dougal said:
toilets like a tramps hostel

The seats were far better on the old ones though. So what if you were fully aware at least a dozen people had defecated on them? At least they were comfortable.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
The old trains stunk and were grimy - how can you compare them to the new ones - I've been commuting for just over a month now (Preston Park to London Bridge) and haven't had any real problems yet (cue broken down train tonight)

As for the bikes argument, bikes should not be on the train in rush hour anyway, once the rush hour is over the trains are empty so there is no problem.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
TrevorDove said:

As for the bikes argument, bikes should not be on the train in rush hour anyway, once the rush hour is over the trains are empty so there is no problem.

There's hardly anywhere to put them when the trains are empty though. If someone else has got on before you and is using the one cycle restraint, what are you supposed to do? On the old trains you could get loads of bikes in the brake van.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
Thank God I'll never have to use one of those dirty, stinking, dangerous old trains again. They were an embarrassment in this day and age.

innit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here