Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yippee - The end of an Era - Slam-door train era comes to a close

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
From the Argus -

It was like saying goodbye to an old friend.

The final journey of the last slam-door train to run in Sussex was a nostalgic trip for passengers and rail enthusiasts.

Tinged with sadness, some had travelled from all over the country to be on the 9.19 am Brighton to Victoria service.

They felt they had to be part of rail history as the train pulled away from platform 4 at Brighton station on a crisp Saturday morning.

With a plaque on the front of the 12-car train saying "farewell old faithful" and a wreath in the guard's van reading simply "goodbye", the train trundled on its last journey to the capital.

It might be the end of an era but some things never change.

Because of engineering works, the train was diverted via Lewes for its final journey to and from Victoria.

With a double toot on the horn, it clattered over the points outside Brighton station, with the wheels screeching as it negotiated the tight curve towards the London Road viaduct.

For 50 years the Mark I stock has served Sussex and the South well. But the Health and Safety Executive ruled the slam doors were dangerous and had to go by the end of November.

Over the years people have been killed stepping out of the wrong side of trains, jumping on moving trains and hands have been caught in doors.

Before bars were put across windows there were deaths as the result of people leaning out and being hit by tunnel walls, passing trains and trackside obstacles.

The current Mark 1 stock was criticised for crumbling too easily at the Clapham rail disaster in 1988, in which 35 people died.

But slam-door trains have served Sussex and South London well. It is estimated each of the current Mark I carriages has travelled the equivalent of five journeys to the moon and back.

Many passengers are sorry to see the back of them, pointing out they had more toilets than the new Electrostar stock.

It was said they were so comfortable staff would sometimes find amorous couples in compromising situations on the soft upholstery in the single compartments.

Commuters fondly remember staggering off the trains, having consumed too much in the buffet car.

Now the new efficient Electrostar trains with their clinical feel, computerised equipment but, arguably, less character are the trains for the 21st Century. Their sliding doors are controlled by a satellite system.

There were once about 1,600 slam-door carriages operating on lines in South London and to and from the Sussex Coast.

Finally, there were just 12 carriages, still in the old colours of Connex, the previous company running the franchise before South Central and then Southern took over.

When the train completed its return journey back to Brighton as the 11.06am from Victoria, it was taken out of service and put in sidings, ready to be taken to the scrapyard.

The driver of the last slam-door train was Anthony Williams, 44, from Brighton.

As he prepared for the final journey he said: "This a bit of history but you have to move on in the name of progress.

"The Mark I slam-door trains are less complicated to drive.

Electrostar trains have all the computerised safety devices.

"It is like comparing an old Morris Oxford car with a Jaguar XK."

Train driver Kevin Gibson, 25, had travelled from Merstham, south London, to be part of rail history.

He also drives the new Electrostar trains now.

As he waited to board with his camera to record the journey, he said: "I felt I had to be here.

"It is sad to see the slammers go.

"They are more comfortable because you can sink into the seats.

"You have to really drive the Mark I stock, whereas on Electrostars more is done for you.

"There is no way anyone would have won the franchise pledging to keep slam-door stock."

Andy Oliver, 37, a television engineer from Croydon, was filming the final journey. He said: "It is quite historical.

"All my life there have been slam-door trains and their passing is the end of an era."

Henry Harris, 78, was travelling to London from Brighton to buy lobsters for a dinner party.

He did not realise the significance of his journey until he got on the train.

He said: "I wondered why people were taking photographs of the train and thought it a bit odd.

"These slam-door trains have been around since I was a child.

"They are dangerous as people catch their fingers in the door but they are quite comfortable.

"As long as trains get me to London I am not particularly bothered what type they are."

The strong smell of disinfectant wafted through the carriages as I walked down the train stepping between the carriages with the greying strips of plastic hanging between the concertina black carriage links.

I remembered 17 years of daily commuting on slam-door trains.

There was a musty smell in each carriage and you could hardly see out the windows due to scratches from years of trying to rid windows of graffiti.

Notices warning people not to lean out of the window or open the door while the train was moving were above each door.

As the train clattered towards East Croydon after reversing at Lewes, passengers began to talk about their memories of slam-door trains.

Store manager Sue Rudwick, 31, was glad to see them go.

She said: "I know this is a nostalgic journey, but slam-door trains are noisy and draughty, especially if you sit by a door."

Alan Lake, 43, from Brighton, who works as rail timetabler for Southern, said: "They have been very reliable because there is a lot less to go wrong but they are not good in the leaf fall period. We are all sorry to see them go."

Richard Davies, 40, a maintenance engineer from Polegate, was travelling to Victoria to repair one of the new Electrostar trains, broken down in a platform.

He said: "There is so much to go wrong on the new trains but it keeps me in work.

As the train returned to Brighton, passengers forgot about the significance of the journey and began to get on with their daily lives.

Alan Lake quickly jumped off to meet friends in the pub before going on to see Albion's home game against Derby.

Station staff slammed the last carriage door and waved the empty train off to the scrapyard, shutting the door on a piece of rail history.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Old friend ? I will miss those old wrecks like toothache. No more being delayed by some twat triing to jump on a moving train (an East Croydon speciality). That and the new trains are cleaner, smoother and quicker.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Damn, Referee!!! beat me to it

Still the odd slam-door on my route, although the replacement trains are on their way. And their doors work :clap2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sad. There was more room for bikes on the old slam-door trains.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Also, I bet you that they'll be back occasionally for temporary backup for Electrostars- they do over here when the Spanish-built Arrows break down.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I prefer the old slam door by miles! The only disadvantage, and I mean ONLY one is that you get jokers jumping on moving trains.

At least the slam door trains had leg room, comfy seats rather than hard board from Ikea. Nice and warm so easy to sleep in. Room for bikes as they don't have half a carriage dedicated to the one wheel chair user that needs the toilet once a month. It would be cheaper if the railways paid for taxi's for wheel chair users!

For a country that is supposedly trying to reduce carbon emissions to then sanction trains with no previsions for bikes is beyond belief quite frankly.

Slam door trains RIP :angel:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Lammy said:
I prefer the old slam door by miles! The only disadvantage, and I mean ONLY one is that you get jokers jumping on moving trains.

At least the slam door trains had leg room, comfy seats rather than hard board from Ikea. Nice and warm so easy to sleep in. Room for bikes as they don't have half a carriage dedicated to the one wheel chair user that needs the toilet once a month. It would be cheaper if the railways paid for taxi's for wheel chair users!

For a country that is supposedly trying to reduce carbon emissions to then sanction trains with no previsions for bikes is beyond belief quite frankly.

Slam door trains RIP :angel:

Can't agree with some of that, the old slam-door trains were very draughty and very often didn't have any heating at all in the winter - give me the new ones any day, but prefereably the ones with 2x2 seats cos the 2x3 are rather small.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Slam doors all the way for me. At least you never found the toilets were out of order, unlike the supposedly "modern" stock which never seem to have a working shitter.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
slam door trains good riddance!

freezing cold in winter with some twat insisting on opening the window to make it colder;

dirty and infested with moths;

graffitied and ripped seats;

dangerous doors;

toilets always blocked or stinking;

boiling in summer, no air-con;

noisy.

oh yes, those were the days
:shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Good riddance to the old slam door trains. After having recently given up commuting every day, they ceratinly wont be missed by me.

Does anyone remember smoking carriages on those old trains ?

If you were unlucky enough to get in one it was like sitting in an ash tray all the way to work.

'orrible...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't help feeling they're going to have to address the bike carriage problem at some point though. The lack of bike provision on new trains is a disgrace.

This is a story that the Argus has been running every few weeks for the past year.

Curiously, I usually find myself getting on a slam door train a couple of days after reading that the last one has been withdrawn.

They want us to believe that they're like WMDs (ie non-existent). That might work in Iraq, but it cuts no ice on the Coastway East.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I doubt it is, but I was wondering if it was possible to attach "bike carriages" to the existing rolling stock?

That's assuming, of course, that the good will exists from the lovely privatised train operators which, given their draconian behaviour recently, seems very unlikely.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
I doubt it is, but I was wondering if it was possible to attach "bike carriages" to the existing rolling stock?

That's assuming, of course, that the good will exists from the lovely privatised train operators which, given their draconian behaviour recently, seems very unlikely.

A lot of what they do is driven by government nannying rather than their own policies. Hence the MASSIVE toilets. Perhaps we should have a dedicated bathroom carrage?

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Simster said:
I can't help feeling they're going to have to address the bike carriage problem at some point though. The lack of bike provision on new trains is a disgrace.

I agree. Maybe one solution would be to use one of the new carriages with the toilets (which have started to smell pretty badly already)

They could give up half of one of those carriages for bike users quite easily.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
A lot of what they do is driven by government nannying rather than their own policies. Hence the MASSIVE toilets. Perhaps we should have a dedicated bathroom carrage?

"Nannying" :lolol:

Personally, I don't have a problem with wheelchair users being able to take a piss on a train with dignity.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Man of Harveys said:

Personally, I don't have a problem with wheelchair users being able to take a piss on a train with dignity.

Maybe wheelchair users could be towed behind the train :glare:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:

Neither do I. But at what cost?

How many people in wheel chairs use the trains compared to those who want to take a bike on? It is because of these toilets that bikes are not allowed on trains.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here