Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yes, its Sven again

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Easy 10 said:
However, I fear any success England have on the field will be despite the bloke in the dugout, certainly not because of him.

So if we win Easy, it is depsite Sven, and if we lose, it is because of Sven ? ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kinky Gerbils said:
OK Then, how would you change things?
Not rocket science. It centres around having Carrick in a holding role.

If Rooneys fit, I'd play:

Robinson
G Neville Terry Rio A Cole
Beckham Lampard Carrick J Cole
Owen Rooney

If Rooneys injured, I'd play:

Robinson
G Neville Terry Rio A Cole
Beckham Lampard Carrick Gerrard J Cole
Owen

The bone of contention would obviously be leaving out Gerrard in that 4-4-2 if Rooney is fit. But he CANNOT play with Lampard, so its time a decision was finally made. I could be persuaded to drop Lampard for Gerrard in that 4-4-2 according to their form, but starting them both in a 4 man midfield is NOT an option any more. It doesn't work. 4-5-1 with Carrickm holding, and Gerrard can bomb forward to his hearts content and we'd see the player we see for Liverpool (finally).

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think it's fair to say that the moment a player limps off injured in a crucial game, we will cut to a shot of Sven sat motionless on the bench, perhaps scratching his sweating forehead, as he contemplates what the HELL to do.

Any decent manager, has already contemplated the possibilities, and knows how he will switch it in any given circumstance. Sven is quite simply clueless.

Even Terry Venables was taking the pi$$ out of him live on telly last night! I can't believe a national manager (even Graham Taylor) was ever so roundly lampooned by people and colleagues within the game.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Easy, I know you want to play Carrick in front of Gerrard and can make a case for that in the first team, but playing Owen as the lone striker holding up the ball to be joined by the five man midfield :eek:

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Les Biehn, you've hit the nail on the head. On paper we're as good as any other country, including Brazil, but it's not about individuals, it's about the team.

The key question is whether Sven has turned 11 individuals into a team sufficiently cohesive and adaptable to win the tournament.

I certainly get a sense that some big names know that this is almost certainly their last shot at winning the big prize - Sven himself, Beckham, Gary Neville, Campbell. Seeing Beckham score those 2 goals for Real this week is really encouraging, and I think we can expect some committed performances from England's captain over the coming weeks.

However, it all depends upon the fitness of Owen and Rooney in the key latter stages of the tournament.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pavilionaire said:
Les Biehn, you've hit the nail on the head. On paper we're as good as any other country, including Brazil, but it's not about individuals, it's about the team.

The key question is whether Sven has turned 11 individuals into a team sufficiently cohesive and adaptable to win the tournament.

I certainly get a sense that some big names know that this is almost certainly their last shot at winning the big prize - Sven himself, Beckham, Gary Neville, Campbell. Seeing Beckham score those 2 goals for Real this week is really encouraging, and I think we can expect some committed performances from England's captain over the coming weeks.

However, it all depends upon the fitness of Owen and Rooney in the key latter stages of the tournament.

There are some very good players yes, but what have they done at the highest level to suggest they are world class?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
WATFORD zero said:
Easy, I know you want to play Carrick in front of Gerrard and can make a case for that in the first team, but playing Owen as the lone striker holding up the ball to be joined by the five man midfield :eek:
Owens quite capable of playing as a lone striker IF he's got the likes of Lampard and Gerrard in close support. Owen has never had to rely on playing alongside an out-and-out striker. He plays off the shoulder of the last defender, so its all about delivery and support. That 5-4-1 COULD be Svens salvation, because Rooneys absence will hopefully FORCE him into re-jigging that midfield to bring in a holding player so the others can get forward to support Owen.

However, this plan utterly falls to bits if Owen is not fit, or firing on all cylinders. God help us if that happens.

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2003
to be fair to sven, how is he supposed to do a good job on his MEASELY salary, barely two pennies to rub together

i don't know how he can make ends meet

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Pavilionaire said:

Spot-on, and I can't see that he has. Whenever faced with a problem of combining individuals into a cohesive team, eg Gerrard and Lampard together in a 4-4-2, Sven's solution is always the same. Just keep trying what you hope will work, until eventually ... you crash out of a tournament.

:thud:

Seeing that something doesn't work and actually using some tactical nouse to try something different, just seems completely beyond him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Owens quite capable of playing as a lone striker IF he's got the likes of Lampard and Gerrard in close support. Owen has never had to rely on playing alongside an out-and-out striker. He playsn off the shoulder of the last defender, so its all about delivery and support. That 5-4-1 COULD be Svens salvation, because Rooneys absence will hopefully FORCE him into re-jigging that midfield to bring in a holding player so the others can get forward to suppotr Owen.

However, this plan utterly falls to bits if Owen is not fit, or firing on all cylinders. God help us if that happens.

You seem to be suggesting that Owen and Rooney is Svens fault?

Im sure Germany would be half the team without Ballack and Lehman

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kinky Gerbils said:
You seem to be suggesting that Owen and Rooney is Svens fault?
Not at all. They are irreplacable, and there is NEVER going to be a perfect solution if either or both of them are out. And I think he's absolutely right to take Rooney if theres a chance that he may make the latter stages, because we have so few options.

But are you seriously telling me that Crouch and Walcott, with Defoe and Andy Johnson in reserve is the BEST solution that was avaolable to Sven to come up with ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Kinky, somebody else said England had 9 or 10 world class players.

I'd say our world class players are Ashley Cole, Ferdinand, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Owen and Rooney - they've all made an impact on the big international stage, so there's not any argument in terms of ability.

Even the Dutch, French and Brazilians include some dodgy players from time to time - Boateng, Karembeu and Roque Junior being examples.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Owens quite capable of playing as a lone striker IF he's got the likes of Lampard and Gerrard in close support. Owen has never had to rely on playing alongside an out-and-out striker. He plays off the shoulder of the last defender, so its all about delivery and support. That 5-4-1 COULD be Svens salvation, because Rooneys absence will hopefully FORCE him into re-jigging that midfield to bring in a holding player so the others can get forward to support Owen.

I'd have to respectfully disagree, Easy :salute: If Rooney is out, you have to play Crouch and Owen. The only way to play a five man midfield and one up is with Crouch as the sole striker. Owen can't do that job.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Crouch showed again in the Cup Final that he isn't effective as a starting striker as compared with his impact off the bench which, as the stats for England show, is truly amazing.

It will be interesting to see how Owen and Crouch start together. We need to give them at leat 70mins in our first warm-up match, then see Walcott in the last 20mins.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
WATFORD zero said:
I'd have to respectfully disagree, Easy :salute: If Rooney is out, you have to play Crouch and Owen. The only way to play a five man midfield and one up is with Crouch as the sole striker. Owen can't do that job.
If Rooney is out, then Crouch WILL play up front with Owen. And the trouble with that is that we'll have the same old tried and trusted

Cole Gerrard Lampard Beckham

midfield misfunctioning behind them. And we'll get found out by the better teams.

Again.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
If Rooney is out, then Crouch WILL play up front with Owen. And the trouble with that is that we'll have the same old tried and trusted

Cole Gerrard Lampard Beckham

midfield misfunctioning behind them. And we'll get found out by the better teams.

Again.

I think he will play a 5 midfielders, with one of them playing the Rooney role.

I still feel Carrick will come in and Joe Cole will play behind Owen.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
I think he will play a 5 midfielders, with one of them playing the Rooney role.

I still feel Carrick will come in and Joe Cole will play behind Owen.
I hope he keeps Joe Cole on the left. Carrick is an absolute MUST for me, whether he plays 4 or 5 in the middle. I'll be watching the friendlies with interest to see what he tries out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here