Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yes, its Sven again

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Easy 10 said:
Yes, thats the whole problem. And when you make a direct comparison between his performances for Liverpool and his performances for England, I don't think GASH is too harsh a word. We all so much WANT the Gerrard of Liverpool, but in Svens teams, the roles he gives Gerrard do not enable him to do it. He doesn't even look like the same player in a white shirt. And that failure must be put squarely at the managers doorstep. He's had 5 years to sort it out, and he's failed.

Miserably.

Spot on. I think we should be able to play both as long as we were better at keeping possesion, but Sven seems to have turned a bunch of talented players into a team that can't string 2 passes together.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dp people really seriously believe anything Erricson says to the press any more? He hates them...he feeds them any old crap and they fall for it.

If it wasn't for the entrapment by the scum press, Ericcson would still be manager, we wouldn't have McClaren, a failed man at Middlesboro....thats Middlesboro, not Chelsea or manu or arsenal, but Middlesboro

Look at the positives since Sven has been here and tell me who apart from Ramsey has ever been as sucessful as him?

People say its cos he has never had such a good set of players? Ok then what about Robsons team that included gascoigne and lineker and beardsley etc etc. he got to a WC semi....did he win 5-1 in germany? NO People have very short memories

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dies Irae said:
Dp people really seriously believe anything Erricson says to the press any more? He hates them...he feeds them any old crap and they fall for it.

If it wasn't for the entrapment by the scum press, Ericcson would still be manager, we wouldn't have McClaren, a failed man at Middlesboro....thats Middlesboro, not Chelsea or manu or arsenal, but Middlesboro

Look at the positives since Sven has been here and tell me who apart from Ramsey has ever been as sucessful as him?

People say its cos he has never had such a good set of players? Ok then what about Robsons team that included gascoigne and lineker and beardsley etc etc. he got to a WC semi....did he win 5-1 in germany? NO People have very short memories

Do not start this one again Dave....

Be back in 10 when I have pasted all the usual posts on it....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dies Irae said:
Ahhh, so he's only pretending to sound clueless and idiotic to the press and the public. Whereas in actual fact, behind those designer glasses and beneath the softly buffed cranium there lurks the tightly-coiled and sharply-honed brain of a footballing GENIUS.

It honestly didn't occur to me that an International football manager could be quite so staggeringly inept in the run-up to a major tournament, but I get it now. He's hustling us, the wiley old scrote.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Ahhh, so he's only pretending to sound clueless and idiotic to the press and the public. Whereas in actual fact, behind those designer glasses and beneath the softly buffed cranium there lurks the tightly-coiled and sharply-honed brain of a footballing GENIUS.

It honestly didn't occur to me that an International football manager could be quite so staggeringly inept in the run-up to a major tournament, but I get it now. He's hustling us, the wiley old scrote.

But then if he clearly states his plans in the press, people will have a go at him for letting the oppostion know what we are going to do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
But then if he clearly states his plans in the press, people will have a go at him for letting the oppostion know what we are going to do.
So what if the opposition know what we're going to do - they've still got to stop us doing it. At least it'd show they're worried, if nothing else. If Rooney is fit, then everyone in the world already knows the lineup and formation anyway.

Truth is, if Rooneys not fit, then Eriksson will play the usual 4-4-2, just swapping Rooney for Crouch, because he's not bothered working out a viable alternative. And then he'll just sit on the bench and hope for the best.

Dandyman

In London village.
Easy 10 said:

http://www.morethanmindgames.co.uk/?p=10

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Easy 10 said:
Not selective at all squire, its a direct quote. If anyones being selective its Eriksson when he says

"I have known for many years that Steven can play a lot of positions"

What he doesn't mention is that as a DIRECT RESULT of Eriksson playing him in "a lot of positions", Gerrard has almost without fail been utter GASH in an England shirt. Sven knows he must play him, but he's got no idea where. The fact that he's now also considering playing Gerrard as a striker gives a further insight into this mans utter cluelessness. Could he not have a five minute conversation with Raphael Benitez to get an idea on how best to deploy Gerrard ? Naah, he's got a good shot on him so lets play him up FRONT.
Genius.

Gerrard has said himself that he's only ever played 45 minutes for England in his favoured position. Doesn't look like thats going to change in the near future now, does it.

You make some good points here but let's wait and see. If Rooney somehow is fit then hopefully we'll do very well. If he's not, the more likely scenario, either Cole or Gerrard could play in that " hole role. I know you hate Sven but I think he's going to go for it. You never know Easy, you may be surprised.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sneaky George said:
You make some good points here but let's wait and see. If Rooney somehow is fit then hopefully we'll do very well. If he's not, the more likely scenario, either Cole or Gerrard could play in that " hole role. I know you hate Sven but I think he's going to go for it. You never know Easy, you may be surprised.
I sincerely hope to be pleasantly surprised this summer, Mr George.
However, I fear any success England have on the field will be despite the bloke in the dugout, certainly not because of him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
I sincerely hope to be pleasantly surprised this summer, Mr George.
However, I fear any success England have on the field will be despite the bloke in the dugout, certainly not because of him.

How does that work>?

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Dandyman said:

That's a very interesting article and certainly reflects my ongoing ( since Euro 2004 ) indecision regarding Sven's tenure.

Has he changed our landscape from no-hopers to always theres or is he the emperors new suit because anyone could have managed this lot.

This summer will certainly define that view one way or another.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
People seem to believe the media hype that we have a world class team.
We have a few world class players but in no way do we have a team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kinky Gerbils said:
How does that work>?
Because we do actually have some very talented players at the moment. If Eriksson had ever made a TEAM out of those players by now, then we'd be in with a hell of a chance (even without Rooney, as long as Owens fit). Unfortunately this group of players is currently under the control of an utter buffoon, and so their true potential has, so far, yet to be unleashed. He'll steer us through the group stages comfortably enough, but the wheels will come off again (a-la 2002/2004) when he has to do MORE than simply sling his best XI out on the pitch and tell them to "enjoy themselves".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kinky Gerbils said:
I absolutely agree 100% with that.

And who's fault would you say that is ?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Because we do actually have some very talented players at the moment. If Eriksson had ever made a TEAM out of those players by now, then we'd be in with a hell of a chance (even without Rooney, as long as Owens fit). Unfortunately this group of players is currently under the control of an utter buffoon, and so their true potential has, so far, yet to be unleashed. He'll steer us through the group stages comfortably enough, but the wheels will come off again (a-la 2002/2004) when he has to do MORE than simply sling his best XI out on the pitch and tell them to "enjoy themselves".

OK Then, how would you change things?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Steve Claridge made some good points last night about Gerrard as a striker.

Basically, he said it takes a special sport of player to play in the "no man's land" between the opposition defence and midfield. You have your back to goal, you don't always know who or what is going on around you.

Sheringham, Rooney, Bergkamp can play that position, not many else can. Gerrard's never played with his back to goal, he makes runs from deep and shoots from range when everything is in front of him.

I totally agree. Joe Cole could possibly do it but his shooting is not in the same class as Rooney.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
People seem to believe the media hype that we have a world class team.
Robinson - World Class
Neville - Not WC
Terry - WC
Ferdinand - Should be WC
Cole - WC
Beckham - WC
Lampard - WC
Gerrard - WC
Cole - WC
Rooney - WC
Owen - WC

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pavilionaire said:
Steve Claridge made some good points last night about Gerrard as a striker.

Basically, he said it takes a special sport of player to play in the "no man's land" between the opposition defence and midfield. You have your back to goal, you don't always know who or what is going on around you.

Sheringham, Rooney, Bergkamp can play that position, not many else can. Gerrard's never played with his back to goal, he makes runs from deep and shoots from range when everything is in front of him.

I totally agree. Joe Cole could possibly do it but his shooting is not in the same class as Rooney.

Instead of Gerrard in the hole i would play 4 3 3 a bit like chelsea do

robbo

neville terry rio col

carrick
beckham lampard

cole gerrard
owen/rooney

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks